ADVERTISEMENT

2020-2021 8 Man Football Questions -- Enrollment & Classification

ACICOD

All-Conference
Aug 20, 2007
I'm working on getting the number of 8-man teams put together, and I have a few questions for anyone who may have some answers.

Are Osceloa and High Plains playing on their own next year? The declaration sheet doesn't show them together, and I don't see them on the renewal of co-ops. Maybe I missed something, but does anyone know what they're doing?

I have the same question on E-M-F? Are they going to play together again for the next cycle?

I have a long list of teams not declared that I'm wondering what they'll do. Any insights on these:

Ainsworth
Brady
Cody-Kilgore
Conestoga
Deshler
Doniphan-Trumbull
Freeman
Gordon-Rushville
Maywood and Hayes Center
Heartland
Heartland Lutheran
Hitchcock County
Humphrey/Lindsay Holy Family
St. Francis
Hyannis
Johnson County Central
LHNE
Maxwell
Nebraska City
Nebraska Lutheran
North Bend Central
North Platte St. Pat's
Parkview Christian
Pawnee City
Paxton
Perkins County
Ponca
Ravenna
Red Cloud
Spalding Academy
Stanton
Stuart
SEM
Superior
Wallace
Wauneta-Palisade
Wausa
West Holt
Winside
Wynot

I see that Exeter-Milligan and Friend are co-oping in football again. Missed it on the board meeting minutes the first time.

Actually spoke with someone from High Plains the other night and Yossarian23 is correct. That co-op is ending. This person also told me that Hampton had possible interest in co-oping with High Plains. But the Hampton board voted it down. Not sure why but when you are forfeiting 6-man football games as well as boys basketball games the previous season there must be a good reason.

Actually spoke with someone from High Plains the other night and Yossarian23 is correct. That co-op is ending. This person also told me that Hampton had possible interest in co-oping with High Plains. But the Hampton board voted it down. Not sure why but when you are forfeiting 6-man football games as well as boys basketball games the previous season there must be a good reason.
Wonder what side wanted to end it? They are in the quarterfinals next week. Pretty big blow to the underclassmen.

Osceola and Cross County seem to be a great match. But probably too much bad blood.

Also Hampton not being with Heartland is crazy to me. That should be one school. Pool your resources.

Reactions: viewfromthebooth
About 15 years ago there was a vote going for Osceola and Stromsburg to join together but if failed. Then there was a vote on for a school to be built between the schools of Shelby, Osceola, Stromsburg, and High Plains, but Shelby pulled out, and it passed in Osceola and Stromsburg but failed in High Plains which caused the merger to fail. There have been atemtpts.

About 15 years ago there was a vote going for Osceola and Stromsburg to join together but if failed. Then there was a vote on for a school to be built between the schools of Shelby, Osceola, Stromsburg, and High Plains, but Shelby pulled out, and it passed in Osceola and Stromsburg but failed in High Plains which caused the merger to fail. There have been atemtpts.
How long has Cross County had their current setup? I just looked at it on Google maps and that football field looks nothing like the one I played on 12 years ago. Unless I have a bad memory or am thinking of someone else.

How long has Cross County had their current setup? I just looked at it on Google maps and that football field looks nothing like the one I played on 12 years ago. Unless I have a bad memory or am thinking of someone else.
The football field and new school were completed in 2009 for Cross County

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Wonder what side wanted to end it? They are in the quarterfinals next week. Pretty big blow to the underclassmen.

Osceola and Cross County seem to be a great match. But probably too much bad blood.

Also Hampton not being with Heartland is crazy to me. That should be one school. Pool your resources.
According to the guy I spoke with he said High Plains told Osceola from the onset that it was only a 2 year agreement and would end at that point.

That’s crazy to me. Why even do it if only for two years? By all new uniforms, team gear for families and those kids build relationships that are now ripped apart.
I also heard if they stuck together they would have to possibly bump up to 11 man and High Plains does not want to play 11 man. If you look at the schools midcycle number for this year it would be 49. They came in right at the number for this current cycle to be able to play 8 man without opting down.

I also heard if they stuck together they would have to possibly bump up to 11 man and High Plains does not want to play 11 man. If you look at the schools midcycle number for this year it would be 49. They came in right at the number for this current cycle to be able to play 8 man without opting down.
They would still get a two year probation, so they wouldn't have to play 11 this cycle.

I would be as well. Heard some families are/were thinking about sending their kids from NC to HSF. But who knows how much truth there is to that and if it would actually happen.
Only thing I've heard like that, is NC is changing their tuition to an income based system. Higher earning families pay more, lower pay less, which has put off some families. Purely heresay, as I'm in no way in the loop with NC.

Only thing I've heard like that, is NC is changing their tuition to an income based system. Higher earning families pay more, lower pay less, which has put off some families. Purely heresay, as I'm in no way in the loop with NC.
That’s the same thing I’ve heard. Like you, I’m not in the loop with NC either. Their enrollment has dropped off quite a bit in the last 5-6 years just by looking at classification numbers.

Reactions: Llama57
HSF numbers really take a drop in the next couple years, they have been playing 6 man football in Jr high for 2 years now.

If you played at Stromsburg fall of 2008 or before (November of 2008 they moved into the present school) you would of played down in the park on the outfield of the baseball field.

Also St. francis and Humphrey public 2 class D school right across street from each other and they don't even play each other.

Hartington Public and CC have always done the same. Unwritten agreement to keep it civil. Do Wahoo and Neuman and David City and Aquinas schedule each other? IMO of I was a kid in one of those towns it would be awesome to compete each season. Talk about a packed house you could get on a Tuesday night. Dont shy away from the competition!

Hartington Public and CC have always done the same. Unwritten agreement to keep it civil. Do Wahoo and Neuman and David City and Aquinas schedule each other? IMO of I was a kid in one of those towns it would be awesome to compete each season. Talk about a packed house you could get on a Tuesday night. Dont shy away from the competition!
GACC & West Pt, as well as Aquinas & DC don't play each other in regular season.

As far as Hartington-Newcastle & Hartington CC go, along with the "keeping it civil", there is also the small matter of 8 man vs. 11 man in football. I believe the two have played recent years in girls b-ball and volleyball, in sub-district matchups. And boys b-ball possibly in a sub. The schools co-op in cross country and wrestling. The Wahoo and David City Schools are the same class, so I would think it would make it a little easier to play regularly if they chose to do so. But small town politics can be a messy business

As far as Hartington-Newcastle & Hartington CC go, along with the "keeping it civil", there is also the small matter of 8 man vs. 11 man in football. I believe the two have played recent years in girls b-ball and volleyball, in sub-district matchups. And boys b-ball possibly in a sub. The schools co-op in cross country and wrestling. The Wahoo and David City Schools are the same class, so I would think it would make it a little easier to play regularly if they chose to do so. But small town politics can be a messy business

Football is obviously a differant animal, need to be in the same class. I dont ever recall a time when Hartington Public and CC have ever faced off in a regular season contest in any sport. Anyone remember, I believe 1994, when CC dropped to C2 and faced Hartington Public in the football playoffs? If I recall Public was undefeated going into the game. CC and future Husker and Superbowl Champion Russ Hochstein came away with the victory.

Quick recap of the Humphrey saga for those who may not be familiar with the story:

Around 2011, Lindsay Holy Family recognized they were going to have low boy numbers for football. They approached St Francis about a possible coop for football and potentially all sports. St Francis responded with sure, but everything will be in Humphrey and we’ll be called St Francis, essentially wiping out the Holy Family name. LHF declined that option.

Fall of 2012, LHF had a really good football team. 7-1 regular season, lost in quarters to FCSH.

Fall of 2013, LHF forfeits their varsity schedule and plays a 6-man JV schedule.

Meanwhile, in Humphrey, High approaches St Francis about exploring a sports coop. St Francis tells High that they will never coop
sports with them.

Naturally, Humphrey High and LHF talk as they look for a suitor in the coop world. Talks move quickly and they had all sports cooped (except FB) by the 2013-2014 season. FB had to wait one year for the new cycle.

So, in summary:

LHF and St Francis made perfect sense to coop. (both small Catholic schools 10 miles apart)

St Francis and Humphrey High made perfect sense to coop. (across the street from each other)

St Francis kicked them both to the curb, and they now face interesting times. It will be interesting to see if H/LHF have long memories or not.

Quick recap of the Humphrey saga for those who may not be familiar with the story:

Around 2011, Lindsay Holy Family recognized they were going to have low boy numbers for football. They approached St Francis about a possible coop for football and potentially all sports. St Francis responded with sure, but everything will be in Humphrey and we’ll be called St Francis, essentially wiping out the Holy Family name. LHF declined that option.

Fall of 2012, LHF had a really good football team. 7-1 regular season, lost in quarters to FCSH.

Fall of 2013, LHF forfeits their varsity schedule and plays a 6-man JV schedule.

Meanwhile, in Humphrey, High approaches St Francis about exploring a sports coop. St Francis tells High that they will never coop
sports with them.

Naturally, Humphrey High and LHF talk as they look for a suitor in the coop world. Talks move quickly and they had all sports cooped (except FB) by the 2013-2014 season. FB had to wait one year for the new cycle.

So, in summary:

LHF and St Francis made perfect sense to coop. (both small Catholic schools 10 miles apart)

St Francis and Humphrey High made perfect sense to coop. (across the street from each other)

St Francis kicked them both to the curb, and they now face interesting times. It will be interesting to see if H/LHF have long memories or not.

Karma. Reminds me of Emerson Hubbard.

Meanwhile there is another Catholic school a few miles west that is cooping with the public school in Humphrey. Crazy. No wonder these coops struggle to develop if two Catholic schools cant do it.
Catholic schools or not, it is stubborn pride that I see keeping co-ops from happening. Age old grudges that need to die off with the older generations, because in most cases, I think the kids of today get along pretty well.
These small towns are struggling to keep their churches open as well, and trying to prove the viability of a church by supporting a school. The "last man standing" mentality means I can't win unless you lose. Very troubling.

A friend of mine said the coop between Elgin Public and Pope John is going well. It was good for both schools and the town of Elgin.

Reactions: hailvictors2
A friend of mine said the coop between Elgin Public and Pope John is going well. It was good for both schools and the town of Elgin.
I wonder if Elgin Public will go the way Spalding Public did. They co-op wasn’t working anymore and consolidate with an area school? Neligh-Oakdale?

With Elgin shrinking, Elkhorn Valley is growing and they built their new school, the Summerland news. N-O is somewhat in the middle of a lot of change. Would they entertain Elgin High?

sports with them.

So, in summary:

Hear a rumor that Humphrey/LHF were going to 8 man and Humphrey St Fran was going to six man. Don't know if that is true or not.

Hear a rumor that Humphrey/LHF were going to 8 man and Humphrey St Fran was going to six man. Don't know if that is true or not.
That's what I have heard now for about 2 weeks. Humphrey/LHF had like 20 kids out for football and opted to play 6 man and be ineligible for playoffs so why not move up and play 8 man with those numbers and be able to go to playoffs. HSF has a really big senior class and very small class sizes coming up so makes sense to drop to 6 man, still will believe that when I see it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT