ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball 2023 Baseball Classifications

Alum-Ni

All-State
Gold Member
Aug 29, 2004
District assignments are not yet available.

* denotes team opted-up

CLASS A (Total Enrollment)
1. Grand Island - 2,636 (Grand Island, Northwest, Grand Island Central Catholic, Heartland Lutheran)
2. Omaha South - 2,201
3. Omaha Central - 2,082
4. Millard South - 1,881
5. Millard North - 1,876
6. Millard West - 1,685
7. Lincoln East - 1,646
8. Lincoln North Star - 1,637
9. Lincoln Southwest - 1,633
10. Lincoln High - 1,603
11. Omaha Burke - 1,599
12. Omaha Westside - 1,512
13. Papillion-LaVista South - 1,437
14. Omaha Creighton Prep - 1,428
15. Lincoln Southeast - 1,404
16. Papillion-LaVista - 1,371
17. Kearney - 1,369 (Kearney, Kearney Catholic)
18. Omaha Bryan - 1,322
19. Omaha North - 1,315
20. Lincoln Northeast - 1,313
21. Omaha Northwest - 1,272
22. Gretna - 1,219
23. Fremont - 1,205 (Fremont, Fremont Bergan)
24. Norfolk - 1,199 (Norfolk, Norfolk Catholic, Lutheran High Northeast)
25. Omaha Benson - 1,152
26. Bellevue West - 1,142
27. Columbus - 1,116 (Columbus, Columbus Scotus)
28. Elkhorn South - 1,069
29. Bellevue East - 1,061
30. Lincoln Pius X - 828*
31. Omaha Buena Vista - 650*
31. Omaha Westview - 650*

===============================

CLASS B (Boys Enrollment)
1. Hastings - 438
1. South Sioux City - 438
3. Ralston - 395
4. Bennington - 367
5. Elkhorn North - 356
6. Crete - 347 (Crete, Milford)
7. Norris - 291
8. Waverly - 289
9. Elkhorn - 286
10. Wahoo/Wahoo Neumann/Lincoln Lutheran - 282
11. Omaha Skutt - 281
12. Blair - 263
13. Nebraska City - 254
14. Beatrice - 250
14. Lincoln Northwest - 250
16. Platte Valley - 213 (Ashland-Greenwood, Yutan, Mead)
17. Omaha Gross - 204 (Omaha Gross, Cornerstone Christian)
18. Seward - 201
19. Elkhorn Mt. Michael - 191

===============================

CLASS C
1. Central City/Fullerton/Centura - 190
2. Plattsmouth - 184
3. Omaha Concordia/Omaha Brownell-Talbot/Omaha Christian - 166
4. Platteview - 159
5. Omaha Roncalli - 157
6. West Point-Beemer/Guardian Angels Central Catholic/Scribner-Snyder - 140
7. Douglas County West - 129
8. Thurston-Cuming County - 122 (Bancroft-Rosalie, Pender, Lyons-Decatur Northeast)
9. St. Paul/Palmer - 121
10. Louisville - 120
11. Wayne - 104
12. Adams Central - 103
13. Auburn - 100
14. Fort Calhoun - 98
15. Lincoln Christian - 96
16. Raymond Central - 93
17. Fairbury - 92
18. Falls City - 89
19. Arlington - 85
20. Twin River - 79 (Twin River, Osceola)
21. Maxwell/North Platte St. Patrick's - 78
22. Malcolm - 74
23. Centennial - 61

Who do people think are the favorites in each Class? Say top 5?
Class A:
1. Millard West
2. Millard South
3. Creighton Prep
4. Lincoln East
5. Elkhorn South

Class B:
1. Elkhorn North
2. Norris
3. Bennington
4. Elkhorn
5. Omaha Gross

Class C:
1. Malcolm
2. Adams Central
3. Central City
4. Omaha Roncalli
5. Plattsmouth

I can see all of those for each class being in the top 5. Malcolm as top in C not sure but in the top 5. Certainly will be a good and exciting spring.

Wayne should have a decent team in C.....wasn't DC West also pretty good last year? (Maybe I'm misremembering)

Think the talent is there, DC might be younger talent but will be interesting to see how they come out

I can see all of those for each class being in the top 5. Malcolm as top in C not sure but in the top 5. Certainly will be a good and exciting spring.
I should have put in no particular order. I agree that it could be pretty interesting to watch this play out.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Wayne should have a decent team in C.....wasn't DC West also pretty good last year? (Maybe I'm misremembering)
DC West will have quite a few returning players who have played a lot of varsity baseball. They are going to be a tough out that’s for sure.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Class B Dad, but I'm excited for the new Class C. There are some really good teams in there that now have some hope of pursuing a title! I'm especially excited for the teams that no one is talking about that might get to make a state appearance. Could a team like Fairbury make it for example? They had zero chance in the past but now teams like that should be salivating at the opportunity.

Class B Dad, but I'm excited for the new Class C. There are some really good teams in there that now have some hope of pursuing a title! I'm especially excited for the teams that no one is talking about that might get to make a state appearance. Could a team like Fairbury make it for example? They had zero chance in the past but now teams like that should be salivating at the opportunity.
Three classes does spread out the talent some and gives some solid teams a chance to get deeper into the post season. A will likely be the small group of regulars and B looks similar as well. C will be fun to watch.

Why does Centura coop with Central City and Fullerton, when they're roughly 15 miles closer to St. Paul?

Why does Centura coop with Central City and Fullerton, when they're roughly 15 miles closer to St. Paul?
Existing arrangement, they've done it for years. Also, they've been good the last few years, I'm sure they want to keep the good times rolling.

Existing arrangement, they've done it for years. Also, they've been good the last few years, I'm sure they want to keep the good times rolling.
Centura only joined the baseball coop in 2021, I believe. I think many of the kids that made up the successful team the last two years grew up playing USSSA together. They were the Yellowjackets or something like that?

Reactions: saluno22
DCB is usually pretty good at legion ball. I'm curious why Centura coops at all in the Spring. I'm sure they could field a very competitive team on their own.

My guess would be they cooped because there wasn’t a Class C at the time. Cooping allowed them to be more competitive in B. I would be curious to see if they dissolve the coop now that there is a C.

They dont have the numbers without the coop and from what I have been told is that centura and st paul have never gotten along both at a community level and an administrative level

I just read where the NSAA came out today saying that the state championship games will be broadcasted this year. Pretty cool.
Bittersweet. My son played in a title game and we have a very poor quality NFHS broadcast to keep forever. NET does a great job and I wish we had something like that.

With spring season tryouts/practices getting into full swing, are there any big news that anyone has heard from day one? Injuries, which always sucks! Schools with larger or smaller than expected tryout numbers, any of the new to spring teams insights?

With spring season tryouts/practices getting into full swing, are there any big news that anyone has heard from day one? Injuries, which always sucks! Schools with larger or smaller than expected tryout numbers, any of the new to spring teams insights?
Kinda old news, but haven't seen it mentioned here - Beatrice has a new head coach. Zach Decker replaces Chris Belding coming off of two successful seasons.

Getting into full swing?? It was the 1st day of practice today!

Kinda old news, but haven't seen it mentioned here - Beatrice has a new head coach. Zach Decker replaces Chris Belding coming off of two successful seasons.
Why the change? I feel like Beatrice changes coaches often?

I honestly don't know, other than Coach Belding owns a local business (body shop) and I'm sure the time demands played a role. He had a fairly long run and I'm hoping Decker is in for the long haul.
Will Decker take over for the summer American Legion season as well?

Thanks for the insight. It’s a good program with some solid players.
Summer ball has been a little disappointing for a couple years, IMHO not much unity of purpose. Looking forward to that changing hopefully but I understand that summers are different now with other options for kids. The legion coaches they have lined up will be fantastic (I think). The spring season should have a pretty salty varsity group but we lost a lot of seniors who played lot. Timmerman will be unhittable as long as he stays healthy. He's a horse!

Summer ball has been a little disappointing for a couple years, IMHO not much unity of purpose. Looking forward to that changing hopefully but I understand that summers are different now with other options for kids. The legion coaches they have lined up will be fantastic (I think). The spring season should have a pretty salty varsity group but we lost a lot of seniors who played lot. Timmerman will be unhittable as long as he stays healthy. He's a horse!
Timmerman is that. The athletic ability for the team is good foundation. Usually see them at a tournament or scheduled game in the summer but this year don’t see them as of now. Will watch for them

Reactions: mgbreis
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT