ADVERTISEMENT

32 teams to 16

2121yrds

Freshman
Gold Member
Apr 15, 2009
Cmon people look at last nights scores and then tell me that its not time for D-1 and D-2 to go to a 16 team playoff. I am from a town that was actually involved in taking one of those beat downs. I understand there are some teams that may deserve to get in that may miss out by going to 16, but handle your business during the regular season! Out of those 32 games last night, I am guessing that less than 5 were actually GOOD football. Unless you were some of the kids setting records. LOL

It has nothing to do with money the D1 and D2 school district just have to write a proposal and pass it and it would start next cycle

It has nothing to do with money? It's 32 more games that the NSAA gets the gate revenue from than if they went to 16 teams in D1 and D2.. I agree that the reluctance to do this by the NSAA is mostly about the money. Give every team 9 regular season games. Then the 16 that would have made the playoffs, with most getting slaughtered, might get one more game that they can be competitive in. Is an ass kicking really a reward from being barely in the top half of all the teams in your classification? Yes, a team that might have advanced to the 2nd round may get left out. But how many of those teams in the bottom 16 really have a chance to advance further than that? Class C finally went to 16 teams this year and look at how many good games there will be tonight. Not to mention it's an honor to make the playoffs now, like it was back in the day. It also ends the East-West situation which always causes a big argument over the brackets not being fair. The best teams (theoretically) will meet in the finals, rather than the best from the East vs the best from the West.

You Dont understand how the NSAA works, They do not make the rulings, the member schools decide how many in the playoffs and the NSAA just follows the guidelines that the member schools set. The member schools can change it anytime they decide, NSAA has no say in it

I understand how the NSAA works. I also understand that this is a money issue for NSAA and its member schools.

BTW if it was 16 in, in Class D-2. Paxton, who just won a play-off game, would not have qualified.

Originally posted by sports10:
BTW if it was 16 in, in Class D-2. Paxton, who just won a play-off game, would not have qualified.
Will they win the whole thing? No, should be 16 teams.

Originally posted by nu182:

Originally posted by sports10:
Will they win the whole thing? No, should be 16 teams.
With that line of thinking nu182, the team Paxton beat shouldn't have got in either, and they would have made the 16 team playoff.

Please do better with your logic.

16 team is not the way to go.

This is getting a bit silly. The NSAA does so many great things. I don't really think they give a hoot about how many playoff games are played. They recently made a decision in volleyball to have one session each day. How much less money will that make them in addtion to have two classes at one site? I'd have to think it is enough that it matters.

This argument seems to get louder each year. I still don't understand why we can't call last night sub-state -- not the playoffs -- and then re-seed. Too easy, it seems to me.

Originally posted by atlanta_ace:

This is getting a bit silly. The NSAA does so many great things. I don't really think they give a hoot about how many playoff games are played. They recently made a decision in volleyball to have one session each day. How much less money will that make them in addtion to have two classes at one site? I'd have to think it is enough that it matters.

This argument seems to get louder each year. I still don't understand why we can't call last night sub-state -- not the playoffs -- and then re-seed. Too easy, it seems to me.
I'll agree, though I do think the imbalance has some merit... But in the grand scheme of things the best team usually wins, even if they are out of the west (Giltner, Sargent)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT