ADVERTISEMENT

5 Northeast Nebraska school merger may be dead

northeastNebraska

All-State
Gold Member
Jan 8, 2008
Highway 30
According to us92.com Plainview is taking themselves out of the discussion.

I'm a big supporter of school consolidations as it's the direction schools and towns need to look at. But this was too big too fast.

I wonder if Plainview would just rather join with Creighton? Or Osmond? Anyone know? They at least have options and both towns are close to Plainview.

A Plainview-Osmond or Creighton-Plainview would be a middle C2 school. Not big at all. But maybe Osmond would rather go with Randolph? Something needs to happen soon. I would love to hear some thoughts.

http://us92.com/local-news/plainsview-school-pulls-out-of-possible-merger/

Different schools and different mergers, but http://www.enterprisepub.com/burtco...cle_5a987c70-12ea-11e5-8948-1bfc4cf06640.html

A letter was sent to the school boards for Oakland-Craig, Tekamah-Herman and Lyons-Decatur Northeast encouraging the three schools to reopen talks about a possible consolidation. Lyons-Decatur has decided to step away from these talks at this time, citing partially of their relationship currently with the Bancroft-Rosalie school district and if anything, perhaps B-R should also be involved in future talks.

With all that said, it appears that Tekamah-Herman and Oakland-Craig will move forward into some more exploration with their two districts.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Different schools and different mergers, but http://www.enterprisepub.com/burtco...cle_5a987c70-12ea-11e5-8948-1bfc4cf06640.html

A letter was sent to the school boards for Oakland-Craig, Tekamah-Herman and Lyons-Decatur Northeast encouraging the three schools to reopen talks about a possible consolidation. Lyons-Decatur has decided to step away from these talks at this time, citing partially of their relationship currently with the Bancroft-Rosalie school district and if anything, perhaps B-R should also be involved in future talks.

With all that said, it appears that Tekamah-Herman and Oakland-Craig will move forward into some more exploration with their two districts.

I'm happy to see that with O-C and T-H. It will be interesting if they do make a move to join. Build a new high school on Highway 32 and call it good. T-H needs a new high school.

I understand Lyons wanting to go with Bancroft, it makes a lot more sense in my opinion. I still think Pender-Bancroft-Rosalie makes the most sense but they couldn't get those talks started.

OC and TH will never happen. Oakland has spent too much money on their school, and they want to keep it all in Oakland. They have way too much town pride to leave town. TH has too much money, they have already been exploring just building a new building on their own. I am actually surprised that they want to even re-open talks with OC. They are 2 schools that, in the past, have been fairly fierce rivals, and haven't gotten along the best. I graduated from OC, and talk fairly regular with school administrators and board members. They are ready to move on if need be.

Lyons and B-R makes sense. They are both financially stable and have good enough buildings. They just need kids to put out competitive athletic teams. It will work out for them to coop. A merger isn't even being talked about by either school. Pender is eventually going to coop all sports with Emerson Hubbard. They already do track. JH is on the way I think, and then it's just a matter of time that all H.S.sports follows.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
http://www.ktiv.com/story/29510360/...s-wait-on-wausa-before-consolidation-decision

Osmond, Creighton and Bloomfield are still having talks on possible future collaboration, but are waiting to see how a community survey turns out in Wausa.

Osmond, Creighton and Bloomfield are the three furthest apart schools geographically of the five that were in the original talks and plan to meet on July 22 in Bloomfield for more talks, with our without Wausa. Wausa will have a board meeting on July 13 and is expected to announce what their town's/school's thoughts are at that time.

http://www.ktiv.com/story/29596815/2015/07/21/wausa-ne-opts-out-of-consolidation-study

Wausa has decided to leave the discussion as two-thirds of the community responding to a survey did not support consolidation (only 19% did support it).

Survey participants did say, however, if they lost curricular programs due to low enrollment, reduced funding or lack of quality staff they would reconsider consolidation in the future.

Bloomfield, Osmond and Creighton will continue to look at ways to discuss possible consolidation or sharing of resources in the future.

I wish Bloomfield-Wausa would try going together or Osmond-Plainview or Plainview-Creighton. You have start small with consolidations.

Heck Osmond could even go east to Randolph if they wanted.

Oakland can be picky, but I think they would rather go with T-H than LV.

It would be smart to build the high school in Craig. Oakland and Tekamah can still operate their own elementary, but have the 7-12 or 9-12 in a new building in Craig. I hope it happens, stop the bleeding sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT