ADVERTISEMENT

8 and 6 man Scholarship players?

nenebskers

All-Conference
Oct 18, 2013
Just curious, what are some names of players that played 8 or 6 man football in Nebraska that earned a D1 scholarship as a senior? Not guys that walked on and later earned one. If you have any please post name, high school, college, 8 or 6 man, and approximate year of high school graduation.

Natahn Bazata played 8 man graduating around 2012 from Howells-Dodge and later played at Iowa.

Did any of the Mackovika's from East Butler earn a scholly while in high school?

I know there are others so please help out!

Drew Ott (Giltner) was a scholarship player I do believe going into his career at Iowa. And pretty sure he was a high school All-American. Bryson Studnicka? From Clay Center was also a scholarship player for Wyoming if I remember right. Those are the two I can think of off the top of my head. These two were in the 2007-2010 range I believe.

Drew Ott (Giltner) was a scholarship player I do believe going into his career at Iowa. And pretty sure he was a high school All-American. Bryson Studnicka? From Clay Center was also a scholarship player for Wyoming if I remember right. Those are the two I can think of off the top of my head. These two were in the 2007-2010 range I believe.

Yep, your right on Ott. Cant believe I forget about him.

Never heard of the second kid from Clay Center. Guessing he was a lineman?

Just curious, what are some names of players that played 8 or 6 man football in Nebraska that earned a D1 scholarship as a senior? Not guys that walked on and later earned one. If you have any please post name, high school, college, 8 or 6 man, and approximate year of high school graduation.

Natahn Bazata played 8 man graduating around 2012 from Howells-Dodge and later played at Iowa.

Did any of the Mackovika's from East Butler earn a scholly while in high school?

Not sure, but Terry Connealy played 8 man at Hyannis. Not sure if he was a walk on or not. A pretty decent player for NU though!

Yep, your right on Ott. Cant believe I forget about him.

Never heard of the second kid from Clay Center. Guessing he was a lineman?
He played DE. Was about 6’4 230 in high school. Not sure how long he was at Wyoming but pretty sure he went out there on scholarship.
Also, I know SDSU and USD have heavily recruited Nebraska kids a lot the last few years. I’m sure 1 or 2 at least were from 8 man schools.

Was Shanle (St Edward) a walk on?

Another one is John Howell of Mullen. He went to Colorado State on scholarship and then played in the NFL for Tampa and Seattle.

what about that pelan boy from david city Aquila’s believe he was a rb with a silver gorilla stripe on his back let me know thanks good discussion guys

I believe a Scott from Ansley (Late 80s maybe) walked on at Nebraska. He ended up being an All Big Conference Player at Center

Was either of the Shanle's or Mackovicka's offered a scholarship while in high school? Also, there was a lineman from Wausa, I believe Lance Lundberg from Wausa who was a lineman at Nebraska in the early 90's. Can anyone confirm if he was offered while in high school?

Any 6 man players?

Another one is John Howell of Mullen. He went to Colorado State on scholarship and then played in the NFL for Tampa and Seattle.
Coached John at the 1996 8 man all star game, one of the nicest young men I have ever met, and I think he gets lost in the history of Nebraska HS football , this young man played 4 years of D 1 football and then 7 years in the pros where he was defensive player for the Bucs. and helped win a Super bowl. John was not a a big imposing player but one who played with guts and passion.

Reactions: nenebskers
He played DE. Was about 6’4 230 in high school. Not sure how long he was at Wyoming but pretty sure he went out there on scholarship.
Also, I know SDSU and USD have heavily recruited Nebraska kids a lot the last few years. I’m sure 1 or 2 at least were from 8 man schools.

Was Shanle (St Edward) a walk on?

If memory serves me correctly, Scott Shanle received a Scholarship while in high school at St Edward. I believe his brother Andrew was a walk on.

If memory serves me correctly, Scott Shanle received a Scholarship while in high school at St Edward. I believe his brother Andrew was a walk on.
Pretty sure Scott was a walk on. Andrew originally accepted a gray shirt offer but was put on scholarship fall semester when someone transferred.

Dean Steinkuhler of Sterling. I think Sterling changed from 11 man to 8 man while he was in high school.

I know Broders from Bloomfield played at USD. I’m sure he was a scholarship guy coming out of high school.
Was Connot from Spencer a scholarship guy that went D1? I believe he was with the chiefs for a few years.
Also one of the Bender boys from Lindsay Holy Family in the mid 2000s went to SDSU on scholarship I believe. Ended up on a few NFL rosters as well.
Hard to imagine that all those great years for Howells that they only had one guy go D1 on a scholarship.

Not scholly guys at 1st I’m sure, but Billy Legate (Clearwater) and Steve Kriewald (N Loup/Scotia) both had decent careers at NU.

Kriewald was a scholly guy.
https://dataomaha.com/huskers/player/847/steve-kriewald

Legate was a walk-on.
https://dataomaha.com/huskers/player/billy-legate

Connot and Broders were at SDSU and USD respectively when they were D2. SDSU changed in 2003 and USD 2008. Connot graduated around 2000 and Broders was 2005. Man Broders was a stud. Never saw Connot play but did see his younger brothers many times. I bet that family had some great backyard brawls! Casey Bender also would have been 2005 from Lindsey Holy Family. Never knew he ended up in the league for a bit.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update on Howell. I was mistaken with the start of his college career. Liewer and Chubick both played on West Holt's 1988 championship basketball team.

Thank you for the correction. Wasn’t sure when the SD schools went D1. Not sure if Bender ever actually made the rosters but I know he was on the practice squad at least for the Lions I do believe.

Leiwer’s son is currently redshirting for Nebraska this season I think. Not an 8 man player but cool to see him following his dad’s path.

Reactions: nenebskers
Adam Ickes was on scholarship his senior year with the Huskers, I believe. Played in the mid-2000s. There was someone from Culbertson a couple of years ago who played in the Husker secondary.

Casey Nelson from Newman Grove was a walk on and then earned a scholarship. Graduated from Newman in 97’.

Below are the following that were former 8 man players in Nebraska that earned a scholarship while in high school. No known 6 man players.

Dean Steinkuler, 1980, Sterling, Nebraska
Terry Connealy, 1991, Hyannis, Nebraska
Lance Lundberg, 1991, Wausa, Nebraska
Brandon Johnson, 2004, Rushville, Iowa State
Drew Ott, 2012, Giltner, Iowa
Nathan Bazata, 2013, Howells-Dodge, Iowa

I know there has to be more. Post of them if you think of them. Plenty of guys have walked on and earned a scholarship. Again this post is for those earning while in high school.

Last edited:
Brandon Johnson of Rushville was on scholarship at Iowa State from 2004-2007

Thanks for the info. Confirmed that he was a 2 star and offered from ISU while in high school. Good for him. I dont remember this kid either. Ill update the post above.

Appears that Gordon and Rushville combined for 06-07 school year. On a side note, are Gordon and Rushville cooped or consolidated?

https://qctimes.com/sports/college/...cle_de16f7e6-7f4b-5b7b-87c8-fdf182af84e0.html

What about linebacker Mark Daum of Dix, Nebraska? I thought he earned a Nebraska scholarship out of high school in early 1980's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT