ADVERTISEMENT

A and B

Jun 18, 2014
May be we should think about going to an eight team bracket. Seems to me there was a lot of blowout games in the first round. I'm so glad those teams where able to get a 10th game and also a playoff t-shirt. Those kids will be able to tell their grandkids the made the playoffs.......

I do think there is something to what your saying. I say play 10 games in classes A-C2 and take 8 teams to the playoffs. Get rid of districts and take the top 8 in points. If you make the playoffs you should be a threat to win it all or at least play a spoiler role. I think the majority of people would agree teams generally seeded 9-16 don't have a chance to win it all or in too many situations even compete. Make the regular season count every week, college football takes 4 out of 126 to their playoffs.... Omaha North winning the other night is the exception to this but I think it would be a better system and it gets everyone another game, in most situations a better game for them to compete in. No perfect system but I think we need more regular season games and less playoff teams.

There are already deserving teams in class c especially that aren't making the playoffs. Then teams that are struggling don't want to have to play 10 games. If you are going to make a mistake on the playoffs, make it so too many teams make it. Why is it such a bad thing that 16 more schools get to buy tshirts say they made the playoffs? Give Cinderella a chance. Here's an example of this injustice... Stanton lost 2 games, Oakland Craig and Battle Creek. Didn't make the playoffs. Played the schedule the NSAA gave them. Really to this point, they are the only team that gave BC a game. Stanton score 19-6; 2nd round playoff game vs Doniphan 49-7. Playoffs down to 16, and still blowouts. Less qualifiers isn't the answer, there will always be blowouts.

Not too different than last year in C2 when Hartington Catholic was 7-2 in the regular season and an 11 seed. Those two losses were to Battle Creek and Aquinas both of who made the semis and played each other. Hartington started with unbeaten Sutton and beat them by double digits and made it to the finals where they lost to Aquinas for a second time. If you are going to error make that you let too many teams into the playoffs vice leave out someone who might be deserving.

I think that's a great idea. The playoffs are to long as it is right now. Gets to be a very long season for these student athletes. I doubt the NSAA ever changes it...or can they. Every time you inquire about them and their responsibilities they tell you it's the state legislature that makes all the decisions. I sort of wonder what the NSAA really does.

I think 16 in class C is enough. Make the regular season mean something, the cream will rise to the top the longer the regular season is.

Stanton did get screwed but not because only 16 make it. The powerpoint system is to basic which makes it flawed.

May be we should think about going to an eight team bracket. Seems to me there was a lot of blowout games in the first round. I'm so glad those teams where able to get a 10th game and also a playoff t-shirt. Those kids will be able to tell their grandkids the made the playoffs.......

Disagree.

Results from First round Playoff games.
CLASS A
Bellevue West 55, Lincoln North Star 7
Norfolk 12, Millard South 10
Millard North 37, Kearney 21
Omaha Central 21, North Platte 7
Omaha North 35, Grand Island 17
Omaha Westside 28, Papillion-LaVista 27
Papillion-LaVista South 56, Omaha Creighton Prep 21
Millard West 62, Lincoln Northeast 14

==============================

CLASS B
Aurora 54, Alliance 13
Gretna 42, Scottsbluff 28
McCook 14, Beatrice 8
Plattsmouth 47, Bennington 0
Elkhorn South 70, Sidney 20
York 35, Omaha Roncalli 7
Lincoln Pius X 14, Grand Island Northwest 0
Omaha Skutt 50, Waverly 3

Check out Round two in Class A.
CLASS A

Quarterfinals

Bellevue West 40, Norfolk 7
Millard North 37, Omaha Central 0
Omaha North 31, Omaha Westside 28 (OT)
Millard West 35, Papillion-LaVista South 0

Semifinals - Friday, November 13
Bellevue West (11-0) at Millard North (9-2)
Omaha North (6-5) at Millard West (11-0)

Last edited:
Wow, chops why so cynical? More teams means more money for schools and businesses. So in basketball a 1-23 team
Shouldn't get to play in districts?

I'm curious on this topic. How would some of you set this up with 8 teams? In 86 when I graduated, we went 7-2 and didn't make the playoffs. We had only 8 teams. Same in 92 with Bellevue West (my high school). 7-2 ( lost to East in overtime and Westside). Yet ... not playoff opportunity. Under the current model, those situations do not happen. Didn't Millard North go 3-6 a few years back and make to state title game? Or did they win it?

I'm not sure why people complain about it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT