ADVERTISEMENT

Bo Crazy

orca53

Junior
Jan 17, 2010
I am curious after watching the Wisconsin R.B run for a half mile against the Huskers today, If the Legion of Bo faithful still believe he will or can take Nebraska to a Final 4 play off. Who hired this guy anyway?

I just got into an argument with someone about this earlier. I have always been a Bo supporter until tonight. I'm not sure he should be fired, because I think its down right impossible to fire a guy who wins at least 9 games a year, but something needs to be changed. We can't keep getting blown out in big games like this all the time. Especially when a team has the same exact game plan as years passed, and we still can't stop them. This was an exact replica of the 2012 Big Ten tittle game. Pathetic.

Listened to radio postgame and I thought best comment was that NU has a 1st time head coach, 1st time offensive coordinator and 1st time defensive coordinator. These are Bo's guys and they are failing miserably. Gonna be tough to hire a coach that wins 9 games a year but no reason that there shouldn't be some turnover on the staff. Also disheartening that Bo rips ass on tv. I have no problem with getting in a players face when he screws up but give him his 10 second ass-chewing followed by telling to him forget it and go out do his job.

A few stats on Pelini and teams he has coached in Lincoln, including the 2003 interim head coach game:

Overall record: 66-26
Conference record: 38-19
Home record: 41-9
Away record: 21-11
Neutral site record: 4-6
Bowl game record: 4-3
Against ranked opponents: 9-16
Against top 10 opponents: 2-9
Against major non-conference schools: 6-7
Record on homecoming: 6-0
Record on national TV (ABC/CBS/ESPN/Fox): 32-25
Record on national TV after 7:00 PM: 7-11
Record away from home in big stadiums (65,000+): 7-11
Record in conference title games: 0-3
Record in 1 possession games: 15-11
Record in rematches: 0-2, when both times he/we beat the team earlier in the year (Washington 2010, Wisconsin 2012)
Best win: 2010 @ #7 Mizzou (I think it was a Thursday night game?)
Times given up 45 or more points: 8
Times defeated by 25 or more: 7
0 top 10 finishes
0 BCS bowl game appearances
0 Conference titles

A few things stand out to me
1- He has only won 2/3 of his conference games, which is below what Husker fans should be willing to accept
2- He is awful away from Memorial Stadium (25-17), especially when playing in a big stadium (7-11)
3- He is terrible against the top 10 (2-9) and not much better against teams ranked 11-25 (7-7)
4- He is 4-6 in games that really matter (conference title games and bowl games)
5- He was severely out coached in both "rematch" games. (47 point swing in Washington games, 42 point swing in Wisconsin games)
6- He is mediocre at best against quality teams out of conference
7- He gets blown out all too often
8- He has 2 quality wins in 7 years
9- His defense gets lit up once or twice a year
10- He is a great homecoming game coach

A few other notables:
1 audio tape that blasted a great fan base (though it was BS the tape was even made)
1 verbal stab of one of Nebraska's legends (Tommie Frazier)
1 attempt to strike a ref with his hat (sarcasm)
Countless on camera tirades at players, coaches, and officials. To each their own, but it looks poorly on our program when recruits see that non stop on national TV.

All of that said, I think he is a great human being. What he has done for the Hoffman family is remarkable.

Fun fact of the day:
With Melvin Gordon's 408 yards today the "Blackshirts" defense now holds 2 major records, neither are favorable
-Most yards rushing in a game (408 by Melvin Gordon in 2014)
-Most yards receiving in a game (405 by Troy Edwards, Louisiana Tech in 1998)

I think there is something here at play on why so many Husker fans support a coach who has not won a conference title in 7 years of being a head coach.And combined with his truly un professional behavior at times, I simply can not understand how this guy is still employed as head coach at N.U. I really think it comes down to down to the fact that too many people simply refuse to believe that Dr.Tom made a mistake in hiring Bo Crazy.If that was the fact , you would have to go back and re write the Husker history books and say that the Dr.made a mistake.There I said it, now send me to the underworld!!!!

I'm with you orca. If this type of performance happens once every 3-4 years it's one thing but it happens every year. Now a stat and maybe others have seen it. Melvin Gordon had 38 yards on 17 carries versus Western Illinois.

Sounds an awful lot like fair weather fans that want to cry when things don't go their way. This is real life. Things don't go perfectly all the time. I'll bet the complainers have never had a bad day or a failure anytime in their lives. Sure wish I could live in your perfect world. Trust in the fact that things could be much worse. Grow up.

would have to agree with you on this one. we got our asses handed to us by a team that was better then we were, it happens, Bo doesn't do the tackeling or lack of, I guess we could fire him and find someother coach to come in and go thru 3-5 years of learning his system, probably win 7 games or worse lose 7 games then that coach would be on the hotseat, my point here is this, it isn't the 90's anymore and with so much parity in college football it's a up hill battle to win each and every game, it happens to all programs, I don't like the fact that we got punched in the mouth and didn't get up, but I will still be a fan and support what the staff is doing, GBR.

Remember TO's press conference when Callahan got fired. You could very easily say it would be about Bo rather than Callahan. How many of you wanted BC gone? Melvin Gordon had 38 yards on 17 carries versus Western Illinois. He had how many runs longer than that yesterday. Just like Callahan wouldn't get rid of his cronies, Bo is doing same thing. I like Bo and would prefer he stay but if he doesn't change coordinators this will happen every year...oh wait it already does.
This post was edited on 11/16 6:07 PM by viewfromthebooth

And the 1st, 7th, 8th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 15th, 17th and 18th all time single game rushing performances versus the huskers have come against Pelini coached defenses.
per John Bishop

Like Shatel said in his column on Sunday, the only thing saving this coaching staff from going 6-6 or 7-5 is the fact that they play in the Big 10 West and not the Big 12 , Pac 12, or SEC. Have you really looked at the quality of this schedule? Here is a breakdown based on a well known sports service ranking of all D-1 schools as of last week.

Wins:

1. Florida Atlantic #117
2. Mc Neese St. 1-AA Remember how they almost lost this one? Well, they are now a glossy 6-4 playing in 1-AA.
3. Fresno #118
4.Illini #96
5. Northwestern #80
6.Purdue #87
7.Miami #52
8. Rutgers #68

Losses:

1. Mich St. #11
2. Wisconsin #22

Face reality , never in Husker modern day football history have they played this soft of a schedule. It is the only thing that is saving them at this point. Sorry, the truth hurts I know.
smile.r191677.gif

We lose this way so often it is becoming a habit. And its with new players! This is culture. This is coaching. My take on coach Pelini: Once he gets those 11 or 12 wins he will bail and go to the SEC and coach. If he never gets the 11 or 12 and continues with the 9 per year clip then what? UNL will continue to be mediocre and irrelevant. If I thought he loved it here I'd say keep on supporting him but I think he resents Nebraskans and the rich tradition that came before him. Pelini is looking every year for another job. Ungrateful !#%@)! Frank Solich got screwed. Callahan got his ego bruised & got rich. Pelini got exposed. He's getting 3M a year and he's hired a bunch of yes men who don't have the spine or the knowledge to challenge each other in the film room, in the office, on the white board and / or with personnel. Firing any of his coaches wouldn't even be fair. They are his puppets anyway so getting new ones wouldn't be the solution. His position coaches would make better coordinators. His coordinators would make better position coaches. Hire a F*)$# ING quarterback coach!! Remind your staff to demand tackling and blocking or they don't play here. Period. Chew em out all day long if you want but make em accountable at practice. I don't care if a kid gets his butt chewed on national TV. I loved guys like Woody Hayes and Bob Knight so I'm not at all offended by that. I would much rather watch a practice than a game. That way I could see how these athletes get away with taking a play off here and there. Or how the lineman don't finish and how the secondary comes up and blindly launches at ball carriers with no intention of wrapping up. They've been lucky no one has been seriously hurt by now. I've seen that for years and it never improves.

I just can't remember the name of this site....... oh ya, "HUSKERLAND PREPS". Hence the name" HUSKER". I think we can talk about UNL football here.

hope all the haters are happy now especially Shatel, Chatelian, and the Sam guy. you all got your wish now what is eh eh eh eh what his name going to do. eh eh eh o ya Eichorst, how is he going to sell the 'progrum and install a winnin tradition, I'm sure 'at the end of the day' he will have the answers eh eh, WHATEVER.

No, I'm not happy. A good man and his assistant coaches lost their jobs today. But the proof is in the pudding so to speak. Bo was 27-26 versus teams that finished with winning records and 40-2 versus teams that finished their seasons .500 or worse. His sideline tirades, the audio tape and getting blown out in big games are on him. And from a couple comments it appears that he was ready for a change.

Booth,

I agree with you that it had to be done if you believe that Nebraska still can be relevant in the National Title picture. Bo didn't have the answers and he even said it in a few of his press conferences here at the end.After 7 years of coaching, to be playing Iowa into OT, for 3rd place in the Big 10 West, is simply not acceptable if you still believe Nebraska Football can be special.And throw in the unprofessional behavior at times, it was time for all parties to move on. I am excited for the future for Big Red.It just got better!

Just curious Orca how you will feel 5 years from now if we have become a program like Texas because of a delusional set of people who think winning in today's world of college football is so easy. I have seen first hand what these 8-18 year old kids from the south and south east are exposed to. A typical high school kid from there will play as many football games in a year as our kids play in a high school career. They don't want to leave the comfort of where they live. Keep dreaming, but the reality of it is there should have been some changes made but not at the top. I hope we aren't victims of our own yearning for change. That's what Obama preached too, CHANGE. I'm not fond of where that led us either. The grass isn't always greener on the other side of that coaching fence. Remember Bill Callahan? Just sayin.

Just a few thoughts here ;

1. Bo had 7 years to win a Conference Championship and could not, in a Conference with other Northern teams for the last 4 of them,win a title.With as much money that N.U. pumps into the football program that is just not acceptable.
2.His off field antics were not what Nebraska Football is about.
3.If Callahan played Bo's, schedule , there is no doubt in my mind that he to could of had 9-4 seasons as well.Just look at the overall Dr
Draft picks he had compared to Bo, Callahan could recruit better that was for sure.
4. Yes, I am ready to take a chance on a new direction so that Nebraska Football might have a chance to become relevant again.

em,em,em at the end of the day I hope whoever inherits em em this progrum will find the winnin ways that we once em had. I still think that we have a great progrum, what has changed since the 90's, we have great facilities a great fan base who most wanted a new coach and now we are going to get him have kinda changed their opinions on the matter because change is a scary thing to have, with that said who are you going to get to come in to this progrum and realize if you don't win you may get canned just like the previous coach.
this is going to be a very interesting year for Husker football. do we get back on the map or do we flop, if it's the latter then I'm pretty sure you see a change again, at the top with em the AD and that Perlman fella out the door, notice that Perlman has been in on the last two changes and pretty sure when TO was AD he went over his head to get what he had to do to right the ship.jmt.

plus we need some SPEED, we need a Farley type or Stewart type guy at the LB positon, we lack overall speed that someother major conferences have.
This post was edited on 12/3 7:31 AM by SPbObRT

So how do you feel know. Mike Riley, REALLY. The Nebraska Titanic just hit the Riley ice berg. And if you thought Callahan was a good coach you should seek help. EPIC FAIL Eichorst.

good hire if he can get Ed Oregian and a good staff around him, his win loss record isn't the best but that doesn't mean he isn't a good coach, from what I'm hearing this is a homerun type hire but with that said let's see 5 years down the road what we are all thinking

For the sake of the players, future players, and fans, I hope Coach Riley is a great success. The question is, how long will he be given to win " the meaningful games" ?

This post was edited on 12/4 11:28 PM by Football2274

Geez - can we at least give the guy a chance?!?!? What happens if he succeeds? What if he goes 10-2 next year - with Bo's players? What kind of indictment would that be on Bo? What if he goes 4-8? Does everybody bail? Time will tell
but the least any true Husker can do is give the guy a chance.......

Only complaint I have is, when did Nebraska Football become a job that makes us say" Geez can we at least give this guy a chance??" I would assume most Husker fans would question the hiring of a Coach with career record of 93-80 and 4-21 vs top 10 opponents and 14-41 vs top 25 teams Or are we now ,I just hope we make a bowl Nebraska and He is a nice guy so give him a chance and lets hold hands and sing Kumbaya Nebraska. I wish him the very best But if he goes less than 8 wins in the first year then next year better be 9 or better and if not FIRE him and the AD and the Chancellor. Freaking Kumbaya

Maybe Johnson or Calhoun would have been OK - Calhouns record isn't any more impressive than Riley's.
Don't know about the other 2 so won't comment. But, we have what we have. And from what I've read and
the things I've heard about him I'm going to get behind him. I hope all of Husker nation will - we need to
give this guy a chance....

ADVERTISEMENT