ADVERTISEMENT

C-2 newcomer Fillmore Central will surprise

sakhusker

Freshman
Oct 24, 2013
No outsider would have reason to give any pre-season notice to this team with the recent struggles they've had winning football games. But this team is senior heavy and loaded with talent. The coaches have them believing in themselves and they have tremendous leadership in this class. They took a major step forward last year going 4-4 against Class C competition. The coaches have gradually adapted their offense to utilize the skill players they have available and they will score alot of points this year. They are dropping down in class and C-2 is the level they should have been playing at for years (always near the bottom of C-1 in enrollment). They will have a chance to compete with every team on their schedule. You heard it here first... the Panthers will make some noise this year. I see them going 7-2 or 8-1 and not only making the playoffs but possibly winning a playoff game and making the final 8 this season. Any others have thoughts?

This post was edited on 8/28 2:59 PM by sakhusker

This post was edited on 10/29 10:44 AM by sakhusker

I'm not saying your wrong but I wouldn't be quite that optimistic. At the beginning of the last cycle Battle Creek was in the same situation, low end C-1 dropping down and they ended up going 3-5. Granted they had a tough schedule and it looks like Fillmore Central is set up pretty nice in that respect. When St Cecilia rolls along we should have a good gauge of where they are on the C-2 landscape. Until then I'll keep an eye out for coverage in LJS because I'm intrigued.

With the schedule they have, I think they will have a better season, are they a team that will challenge for the title NO but they could break 500 this year and make the playoffs at 6-3 that would a great step forward for them, who knows Good luck

This post was edited on 8/28 11:42 AM by highschoolfootballnut

you never know I would say your hopeful and a fan and thats great Still 5-4 is a step in the right direction
STC, Centennial and Malcolm will all be tough games to win The rest of the games are must wins with the only remaining team that might be 500 will be Sandy Creek, The freeman game wont kill you in points because the play in a very weak district and should win some games but with only 16 teams in playoffs 5-4 will not make it in. So you have to win at least one of these games to even have shot to make the playoffs STC, Malcolm and Centennial. Time will tell and You never know

if freeman's only comp to a district title is southern then no need to worry southern is not very good, like i said that district is very very weak the winner of that district is a first round blow out for someone. but first game is always hard to tell who is good, and turnovers and penalties can be fixed. But i would say a lot of improvement would have to happen in the next few weeks for fillmore to have a good or average chance to beat Centennial or Malcolm but the good thing is they have a few weeks
looking at fillmore's schedule you have a get well game next week against 4 year winless superior THEN you have 3 games you need to win two of them to say you have a shot at playoffs Good luck and best of luck

I am pulling for them also, this week is a big game for them. If they want to be a playoff team and a top 16 teams in the playoffs then they have to compete with STC, if they get blown out then I dont think its going to happen.

Expectations are just that.......expectations. Was speaking with someone about the Fillmore Central/Geneva sports and the legion baseball program and they said some members of that baseball team were from Exeter/Milligan's current run. (White, Sluka, Jensen, Luzum, did I miss anyone?) And I have no clue how much those kids contributed to the legion baseball team but would think as talented as that group is that they would have been contributors in some way. I'm sure it helped that the FC kids learned to win but that still doesn't guarantee that it will translate over to football.

Please accept my correction concerning the Malcolm Baseball TEAM. Both Jr. and Sr. Level TEAMS for Legion Ball in Malcolm are made up entirely from the Malcolm student population. During the summer 2013 season the Jr's did have 1 boy join from outside the district as his school, Parkview Christian did not have a TEAM and he could not make any Lincoln Rosters, he was a marginal player.

YES, we do have a lot of option students at Malcolm, but honestly we LOSE many jocks to Lincoln and Seward while we gain few. The current QB Karel and star WR Klenke at Seward Left Malcolm as Freshman 4 years ago for HS Baseball, 2 more Malcolm boys left this schoolyear to Seward for HS Baseball, Sewards 4 Girls Basketball titles are attributed largely to Malcolm defectors - Cady and Kamphaus, 3 girls lost to Lincoln SE Basketball - Everett, Everett & Beach, 2 girls lost to Northstar Softball Ahman & Ahman, 1 girl lost to Northstar Volleyball - Stroup, 1 Boy lost to Raymond Central Baseball - Davis, 1 boy lost to Northstar Baseball - Ahman.

Many have the misconception that Malcolm benefits from the proximity of the School to Lincoln but the exact opposite is true as we have many leave for Acedemic opportuity as well as Athletics as demonstrated above.

But the primary point to my rant is that the Legion Baseball programs at Malcolm are ALL MALCOLM.

Last 3 Seasons:

This is One set of Boys
2012 Junior Legion Champs

2013 Senior Legion 3rd Place

2014 Senior Legion State Qualifier This is the NEXT group of Boys

2014 Junior Legion State Semi-Finalist

2015 - Juniors should remain strong

2015 - Seniors Starting 3 Graduates elligible to return, 4 CORE Seniors Will be back, 3 Key juniors Moving UP and they will be as strong or STRONGER than the previous 2 seasons
This post was edited on 9/22 12:03 PM by bridgeson

This post was edited on 9/22 12:06 PM by bridgeson

Correct me if I'm wrong and I know this is not a baseball board, but wouldn't the legion baseball players have to go to school in Malcolm? If not, they could not Play Class C because of Legion baseball enrollment rules.

Karel has never played in Malcolm leaving for Seward before his Legion eligibilty began.
Carroll was our Ace and Bridges was probably our Best pitcher this season.

To your Point, YES, everyone accuses us stacking with others from outside our District as well as recruiting but has never been the case. At many points i have wished the District WOULD pick and choose from option enrollee's but truth be known at the Middle School and High School level i dont think have ever turned anyone away, at the elementary level the lists are LONG. Moreso, i simply wish we had added Sofball sooner and added Baseball PERIOD, from our community perspective, the losses in Football alone MAY have been enough to push us over the top the past 2 seasons and may have been even MORE impactful for this current season. Such is LIFE, we love our community, the School and our young athletes.

Looking forward to the Outcome of the Centennial & Fillmore Game this week, feels like it will be a REAL ballgame.

Also a potential CLASH coming for the FC and Malcolm Softball TEAM's in Districts.

All 4 boys that option transferred to Seward made that transition before playing Legion Ball and were then absorbed by the Seward Legion Program.

Good Luck tonight V Centennial.

yes that is the really bad part about 16 teams in the playoffs, yes you do get rid of the 4-4 or even 3-5 making it in but at the cost of NOW a 7-2 not making it in.

I think Fillmore is more talented BUT need to prove it in a bIG game

I have seen Malcolm Play and they are just OKAY But I have seen Fillmore look good and BAD
Like I said could be a good one and BIG step for Fillmore, they need to show they can win when it counts
Kinda like in Baseball

I agree they may win the district and a playoff game BUT they were picked fourth due to the fact they had done nothing SO stay with the, they may be a surprise and under the radar stuff Dont start asking for respect just yet Good Luck and Best wishes Try to keep a level head my god come on

Okay you keep at it, maybe it will help your team win Fillmore was a nice story but now
I guess its just a matter of goals, your goal is to get some press and are happy your 4-2
The teams in the top 10 I can safely say have goal of winning a state title and could care less what they are ranked
and 4-2 would mean a below average season for them. Good Luck
Look at it this way Arcadia -Loup City is also 4-2 and they moved up from 8-man Thats also a story
I do believe fillmore has a good shot to make playoffs But stop with the look at me crap WIN and they will come
and dont be a one year wonder and they will stick around
This post was edited on 10/7 3:32 PM by highschoolfootballnut

We were up 14-0 and had the ball at the start of the 2nd quarter when my son went down with an injury. Up until that point TC did not have a first down. We were already missing our starting I back who is also one of the other LBs to begin with. My son is also the QB so we had to move the 2nd I back to QB and were pretty thin and had some kids playing out of position. We don't have a lot of depth. With two LBs, QB and IB out of the lineup the Trojans held their own pretty well the rest of that second quarter. They both could have played in the second half if they would have absolutely had to but we had some young kids step up and we got out of there with a win. Tri-county played well. We were a little nervous in the 3rd quarter with only a 14 pt lead. Hopefully, we will get them both back next week. The playoffs is on the line Friday night.

This post was edited on 10/15 9:16 AM by sakhusker

It's too early to tell. I'm a PT so he's getting around the clock care! We've all got our fingers crossed...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT