ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Class A to implement a shot clock in 2022-23 season

Alum-Ni

All-State
Gold Member
Aug 29, 2004

Shot Clock a Go in Nebraska for 2022-23
by Mike Sautter, NebPreps

A generally under the radar NSAA Board of Directors meeting during the state basketball tournament had a rather large outcome.

Wednesday, the Board voted 5-3 to approve a shot clock for Class A schools only on a permission to pilot basis for the 2022-23 season. The members that voted for were from District I, II and IV. District members from III, V and VI voted no.

It is a turn of events from the January 11 and 12 District Meetings where only two of the NSAA's six districts voted in favor of implementing the Class A-only shot clock proposal.

Two changes were made to the proposal that the board deemed acceptable. Those changes were:

1. Class B schools that visit Class A schools can choose to play with the shot clock should they wish.

2. The Class A schools that my or may not have the clocks installed prior to the season would not play with them at home or on the road due to lack of equipment.

The National Federation of State High School Associations gave its blessing to the state associations for the adoption of a 35-second shot clock beginning in the 2022-23 season.

In November, District II, primarily made up of Omaha schools, voted in favor of the Class A-only proposal. In January, it was then brought to all six districts for a vote from the membership.

The Class A-proposal was first approved by the Class A Caucus in July. The Caucus saw 23 athletic directors in favor of the proposal and two opposed. The proposal was then sent to the NSAA's Classification Review Committee in October where it was voted down due to the fact it would increase costs to schools.

Among the Classification Review Committee's objectives was to consider financial implications, increased cost to the NSAA, increased travel for participating schools and if the proposal would decrease a student's or coaches instruction time. The financial implication was the sticking point for the committee. For example, not all schools have purchased the equipment required to be able to add a shot clock.

With the change to the proposal, the cost is no longer an issue.

Reactions: MacMan92

An article from Dirk Chatelain of the OWH. Talks with former Husker Andy Markowski about the shot clock addition:

By this time next year, you might swear Jim Boeheim (or Mick Anderson) is coaching Class A basketball.

Why?

With the addition of the shot clock, get ready for an explosion of zone defense. We're talking 1-3-1, 1-2-2, half-court traps, soft full-court press, anything coaches can think of to slow the pace. In my opinion, it'll be the biggest strategic byproduct of the 35-second shot clock.

I like the shot-clock rule. But like former Husker (and current Husker dad) Andy Markowski, I think it'll be complicated until teams get accustomed to it.

"Everybody thinks it's going to make it better and it's not," Markowski said.

"The last minute of each quarter and the last 3 minutes of the game, it'll improve. But you're going to see a lot of strategies to slow the game down even more and force teams to make jump shots late in the clock."

Said Jeff Smith: "If I had a team with markedly less talent, I would definitely play soft press, sit in zone, make 'em shoot over you, try to stay in the game that way."

In the top tier of Class A, you'll barely notice the shot clock. The Bellevue West boys, for instance, aren't changing their fast-paced ways. But the bottom tier of Class A might actually be worse, at least the first few years.

"It's not going to beautify the game as people think," Markowski said. "Scores aren't going to go up."

Markowski expects some additional rule adjustments based on the shot clock. More possessions will lead to more fouls, so Class A might want to consider resetting fouls at the end of each quarter. Or permitting six personal fouls instead of five, especially for girls.

"Girls numbers are down," Markowski said, "so I think you're going to put pressure on the depth of programs."

I guess the next extension of this is to create "illegal defense" penalty for having a defender camping in the lane.

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
I guess the next extension of this is to create "illegal defense" penalty for having a defender camping in the lane.
I get what Markowski and Chatelain are saying. It will change end-of-game and end-of-quarter situations, but I agree that I don't believe scoring will drastically increase across the board. At least at first, it will lead to a lot of empty possessions.

Reactions: saluno22
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT