ADVERTISEMENT

Football Enrollment numbers for 2018-2019

So according to that (if I have all the coops properly accounted for - I used existing coops):

Class A will be 33 schools (up from 28)
Class B will be 22 schools (down from 32)
There will be 88 teams eligible to play in Class C (before any opt-downs or -ups) - Currently 87
There will be 74 teams eligible to play 8-man (before any opt-downs or -ups) - Currently 107 counting ineligibles
There will be 64 teams eligible to play 6-man (before any opt-downs or -ups) - Currently 25 participating

What exactly are the cutoff numbers for football? If I’m correct they’re only counting boy enrollment now

Above 425 boys is Class A
160 to 424 boys is Class B
Enrollment of 47 and below to be eligible in 8-man
Enrollment of 27 and below to be eligible in 6-man

So - allowing for some changes due to opt-downs - Class D-1 & D-2 are only starting with 37 teams eligible. Will probably go up by a couple but surely they're not still going to take 32 to the playoffs.

Has that been talked about at all?

So - allowing for some changes due to opt-downs - Class D-1 & D-2 are only starting with 37 teams eligible. Will probably go up by a couple but surely they're not still going to take 32 to the playoffs.

Has that been talked about at all?
According to the LJS D1 & D2 will still have 32 in playoffs.

There will not be 64 teams playing 6 man football. Just because they are eligible, doesn't mean they'll move down.

6-man likely will have around 35-40 teams, the rest will continue to play 8-man.

That will mean around 100 eligible 8-man teams, 50 in each class with 32 in the playoffs.

Reactions: sportsjunkie2030
There will not be 64 teams playing 6 man football. Just because they are eligible, doesn't mean they'll move down.

6-man likely will have around 35-40 teams, the rest will continue to play 8-man.

That will mean around 100 eligible 8-man teams, 50 in each class with 32 in the playoffs.

There may be 50 in each class but I bet only about 40 will be eligible in D-1.

http://journalstar.com/sports/high-...campaign=LEEDCC#tracking-source=home-latest-1

- 33 schools in Class A

- 22 schools in Class B

- schools have until Nov. 30 to opt up or down a classification, already one or two in every class who will opt down, per NSAA

- Elkhorn, Elkhorn South, Gretna, Columbus and South Sioux City will move up to A

- Platteview, Nebraska City, Aurora and Sidney will drop to C1

- Norfolk Catholic and David City Aquinas will both drop to C2

- Size of football districts will be a minimum of 5 schools and a maximum of 6 schools

- Class A will have six districts with top two finishers automatically qualifying for playoffs

- Class B will have just four districts

- A, B, C1 and C2 will have 16-team playoff fields, D1 and D2 will stay at 32

- 6-Man football will have a 16-team playoff field, but the entire playoff field will be determined by powerpoints, no district qualifications

- No bonus points will be allowed for playing a school that has opted down a classification

- New co-ops were approved for Exeter-Milligan/Friend, High Plains/Osceola, Logan View/Scribner-Snyder, Leyton/Banner County

I think you’ll see opt ups & down for C2 & D1
I’d guess schools like Wisner, Crofton, Lutheran NE, Bergan, HSC, & others that are under 47 will still play 11 man. You’ll see some over 47 opt down. Side note, heard rumor that Walthill & ‘Bago may coop & go 11 man.

There may be 50 in each class but I bet only about 40 will be eligible in D-1.

Mavric --

This will change in the next cycle. There will be an even split of eligible teams in D1 and D2. After splitting the teams evenly, then the ineligible teams will be dumped into D1. You could see 50 D2 teams and 60 D1 teams, but 50 of the D1s would be eligible.

This is new in this cycle.

Reactions: Mavric
Mavric --

This will change in the next cycle. There will be an even split of eligible teams in D1 and D2. After splitting the teams evenly, then the ineligible teams will be dumped into D1. You could see 50 D2 teams and 60 D1 teams, but 50 of the D1s would be eligible.

This is new in this cycle.

Thanks. I didn't know that.

Reactions: scrapper14
New co-ops were approved for Exeter-Milligan/Friend, High Plains/Osceola, Logan View/Scribner-Snyder, Leyton/Banner County

Just looked these up by distance...
Exeter-Milligan/Friend - 9 miles
High Plains/Osceola - 21 miles (20.5 rounded up)
Logan View/Scribner-Snyder - 10 miles (9.5 rounded up)
Leyton/Banner County - 53 miles

Leyton/Banner County has got to be the new longest co-op in the state.

Just looked these up by distance...
Exeter-Milligan/Friend - 9 miles
High Plains/Osceola - 21 miles (20.5 rounded up)
Logan View/Scribner-Snyder - 10 miles (9.5 rounded up)
Leyton/Banner County - 53 miles

Leyton/Banner County has got to be the new longest co-op in the state.
Wow. Makes you wonder how they’ll make practice work every day.

There are a handful of traditional C2 schools that have the opportunity to play 8 man. I'm sure some of their decision to opt up or not will depend on their upcoming middle school class size. While many of them probably want to stay 11 man it seems times are changing and there is some appeal to going 8 man.

Winnebago and Walthill combining and playing 11 man would be interesting. Would they opt down to C2 then or would they take their licks in C1? I do commend them though for going down this road if it comes true. Bago has made some progress the last couple of years in being competitve. They have the athletes, just lacking the toughness. Winnebago has one of the nicer facilities in the area.

Will be interesting to see what Wakefield does.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Potential List of Class C-2 Teams with Opt Up and Downs (38-40 teams)

Syracuse

Gordon-Rushville

Norfolk Catholic

St Paul

Hershey

Madison (opting down to 8-man)

North Bend Central

Aquinas

David City

Johnson Co. Central

Malcolm

GICC

Wood River

Twin River

Tekamah-Herman

Gibbon

Doniphan-Trumbull

Centura

Ravenna (opting down to 8-man)

Bridgeport

Shelby-Rising City

Wilber-Clatonia

Centennial

Kimball (opting down to 8-man)

Ponca

Wakefield (opting down to 8-man, not comfirmed)

Hemingford (opting down to 8-man)

Battle Creek

BRLD

Sutton

Southern Valley (deciding Monday at board meeting whether to drop to 8-man)

Oakland Craig

Yutan

Sandy Creek

Perkins County (opting down to 8-man)

Stanton

HCC

Cambridge (opting down to 8-man)

Freeman

Superior (opting down to 8-man)

Palmyra

Morrill (opting down to 8-man)

NPSP (opting up to C-2)

Hastings St. Cecilia (Opting up to C-2)

Crofton (Opting up to C-2)

Archbishop Bergan (Opting up to C-2)

LHNE (Opting up to C-2)

Valentine (deciding soon on whether to opt down to C-2)

Louisville (Opting down to c-2, ineligible for playoffs year one)

Reactions: nenebskers
Anyone have any insight as to why the NSAA voted against giving teams 2 bonus power points for playing a team in their class that opted into that class? Ex: C1 team opts down to C2, all the real C2 teams don't get 2 bonus points for playing them. I'm dumbfounded. Can anyone give a logical argument as to why teams wouldn't get the bonus points for playing an enrollment that isn't that of their class? Or what the NSAA was thinking in saying no? This decision seems pretty illogical.

Anyone have any insight as to why the NSAA voted against giving teams 2 bonus power points for playing a team in their class that opted into that class? Ex: C1 team opts down to C2, all the real C2 teams don't get 2 bonus points for playing them. I'm dumbfounded. Can anyone give a logical argument as to why teams wouldn't get the bonus points for playing an enrollment that isn't that of their class? Or what the NSAA was thinking in saying no? This decision seems pretty illogical.
Once again Lets explain how it works, The NSAA did not vote it down, the member schools did, so ask you local school district, The NSAA just enforces the bylaws that the State schools write and vote for.

Actually, in this case, the NSAA Board of Control did vote this down. The member schools have expressed an interest in having this in place, and the Board took the opportunity to discuss it themselves, without a formal proposal. The Board opted not to do this in the meet Thursday.

So, it looks like the schools will have to go through the proposal process if they want to get this into place.

Reactions: Yossarian23
Once again Lets explain how it works, The NSAA did not vote it down, the member schools did, so ask you local school district, The NSAA just enforces the bylaws that the State schools write and vote for.
You are dead wrong. It was voted on at the meeting on Thursday. But please, keep the snide comments coming, especially when they are not backed by factual information.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT