ADVERTISEMENT

NSAA Executive Director Submits Resignation

br4life

Freshman
Apr 13, 2004
It was reported by Stu Pospisil of the OWH that Rhonda Blanford-Green has submitted her letter of resignation to the NSAA.

After the NSAA delayed a renewal of her contract earlier this year, it made me very curious as to what was going on, and felt that this was only a mater of time until something like this happened.

Thoughts from anyone as to why or whats next?

I would like to know myself, something went on to not renew her contract, what did she do?

The writing seemed to be on the wall with the NSAA not extending her contract on last month's agenda.

She has been at the center of a few issues while at the helm of the NSAA, including a dustup over a speech given at the state speech championships last year and some transgender legislation as well.

Whomever is chosen as interim director will be the fourth leader of the NSAA since 2010.

NSAA put out this statement this afternoon:

NSAA Board of Directors Approve Blanford-Green Resignation

LINCOLN - The NSAA Board of Directors discussed and approved the resignation of NSAA Executive Director Rhonda Blanford-Green effective June 30, 2015. Blanford-Green has served as the NSAA's Executive Director since July, 2012.

Within Blanford-Green's three-year term, the organization has made significant strides to achieve its mission, goals and objectives. The Board expressed their gratitude for Blanford-Green's hard work and dedication.

A transition plan for naming an Interim Director has been outlined by the NSAA Board of Directors. "We will work to minimize any disruption of the NSAA's operations and management. The Board is pursuing a proactive approach to fill the interim position." said Dr. Brian Maher, NSAA Board Chairman. "We are highly committed to continuing our progress in fulfilling the organization's mission. Our goal is to fill the position with a highly qualified and dynamic individual as soon as is reasonable."

The NSAA Board of Directors met in special session on June 23, 2015 via teleconference call, with members present as follows:

District I - Mark Norvell, Fillmore Central
District I - Wendy Henrichs, Lincoln East
District II - Dr. Bob Reznicek, Boys Town
District II - Nolan Beyer, Millard Public Schools
District III - Jay Bellar, Battle Creek
District IV - Dr. Brian Maher, Kearney
District V - Alan Garey, Medicine Valley
District VI - Dr. Troy Unzicker, Alliance

Rex Schultze, NSAA Legal Counsel was also in attendance.

The meeting was called to order at 10:11 a.m.

Motion by Bellar, seconded by Norvell, that the Board of Directors of the Nebraska School Activities Association should, and does hereby, accept the resignation of Rhonda Blanford-Green effective June 30, 2015; and, that the Resignation Agreement between Rhonda Blanford-Green and the Nebraska School Activities Association should be and is hereby approved, and that the President or Secretary, or any other official of the Nebraska School Activities Association should be and is hereby authorized to sign, execute and put the provisions of the agreement into effect. Motion Carried: 8-0

The above Motion, having been duly consented to by more than a majority of the members of the Board of Directors of the Nebraska School Activities Association, was declared passed and adopted by the President at a duly held and lawfully convened meeting in full compliance with the Nebraska open meetings law.

Motion by Maher, seconded by Garey, to enter executive session at 10:25 a.m. in regard to the process of establishing and filling an Interim Executive Director position.

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 11:30 a.m.

http://nsaahome.org/nsaa-board-of-directors-statement/

The NSAA announced on Wednesday that the settlement with Rhonda Blanford-Green is $240,000.

State of NSAA Board of Directors to NSAA Member Schools Regarding Resignation of Rhonda Blanford-Green

NSAA Member Schools: As you may be aware, on June 23, 2015, the Board of Directors of the NSAA took action to accept the resignation of NSAA Executive Director Rhonda Blanford-Green effective June 30, 2015, and to approve a Resignation Agreement with Ms. Blanford-Green. Per statute, the following statement shall be included as an agenda item at the next regularly scheduled public meeting of the Board of Directors in August, for informational purposes:

"On June 23, 2015, the Board of Directors of the NSAA took action to accept the resignation of NSAA Executive Director Rhonda Blanford-Green effective June 30, 2015, and to approve a Resignation Agreement with Ms. Blanford-Green. The specific terms of Resignation Agreement are confidential per Neb. Rev. Stat. 84-712.05 and as otherwise provided by statute, and the agreement shall be placed in the personnel files of the NSAA. The agreement generally contains Ms. Blanford-Green's resignation, provides for payment of compensation and benefits through June 30, 2015 and includes standard end of employment and release provisions, and for a monetary settlement of the remaining eleven (11) months of the Executive Director's contract that ran through May 31, 2016 in the amount of $213,417, and an additional amount in the sum of $26,583 for the standard employment and release and provisions set forth in the agreement."

If she resigned, why did they pay her entire salary for the year? I could see if they fired her - since she had a contract. But if she quit, why did they pay her???

If she resigned, why did they pay her entire salary for the year? I could see if they fired her - since she had a contract. But if she quit, why did they pay her???

Maybe it was an agreement she reached with the NSAA, that should would resign if they would pay out her contract. Or perhaps, her contract is written that she would be paid even if she walks away on her own. The answer to this question probably won't ever be publicized.

I would hope that the board wouldn't agree to a contract like that. What would stop someone from walking away after one year and be able to collect the last 3 years (or whatever the length of her contract was)? I understand what you are saying and I agree that we'll probably never know. But it casts an even longer darker shadow on this whole situation....

Per the Omaha World-Herald, former NSAA Executive Director Rhonda Blanford-Green has been hired as assistant executive director of the Louisiana High School Athletic Association.

She will oversee volleyball, girls and boys basketball, soccer, tennis, the non-sanctioned state cheerleading competition and Title IX compliance

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT