ADVERTISEMENT

Omaha World-Herald and Lincoln Journal Star All-State Football

LJS places Payton Nelson as " honorable mention" QB of 13-0 State Champs and perhaps best team in Ne History deserves far more. Played without error. Beat every team but one he faced. Led Nebraska QB's in efficiency. No prob with the Albion QB. He certainly must have been a great QB.

I personally believe Payton Nelson was the best football player in Nebraska.

Originally posted by 4norsemen:
LJS places Payton Nelson as " honorable mention" QB of 13-0 State Champs and perhaps best team in Ne History deserves far more. Played without error. Beat every team but one he faced. Led Nebraska QB's in efficiency. No prob with the Albion QB. He certainly must have been a great QB.

I personally believe Payton Nelson was the best football player in Nebraska.
Respect you 4norsemen, but they were not close to MN 03 or CP 85.....Not close....

They were very good, no doubt....but this constant comparing is getting old...

Best of luck next year...

Blob

P.S. Decker (Jason Martin was HUGE) was the biggest difference maker in the state other than Sanders of OC, Stovall of CP, or maybe even Taylor of MN.....

My vote would be Decker....On film he is a monster....and I have watched a LOT of film this year....

Decker is the best player to come out of Nebraska in a while. He's going to be REALLY good. Look for him to be starting by his RS FROSH yr.

Originally posted by bones96:
Decker is the best player to come out of Nebraska in a while. He's going to be REALLY good. Look for him to be starting by his RS FROSH yr.
Agreed! It's amazing....I actually think people, even though he is getting praise, are underestimating this young man. He is a stud and a cut from the old school pipeline NU hogs up front. I have nothing but respect for what he has done and what I believe he will do.

Thanks,

Blob

Martin was a bomb. I just dont see N going undefeated without solid QB. I still think Tagge was diff maker in 70-71 regardless of the amazing players he was surrounded with. I hate complainers too and stand guilty. Just a hood chip on my shoulder I suppose.

Originally posted by 4norsemen:
Martin was a bomb. I just dont see N going undefeated without solid QB. I still think Tagge was diff maker in 70-71 regardless of the amazing players he was surrounded with. I hate complainers too and stand guilty. Just a hood chip on my shoulder I suppose.
Brother 4norsemen, I actually agree that without a QB as gifted as Nelson....ON likely does not go undefeated (they could have but it would have been way tougher). With PN's ability to move and throw, he opened up defenses and in conjunction with the hogs up front gave Strong/Seals a pretty easy job of running through WIDE open lanes....

'Hood Chip'...I love it....

Thanks,

Blob

Disappointed that the Star had none listed for Anselmo-Merna on Honorable Mention even though the team made it to finals and had two on the all-state team. My guess is there was some lost paperwork, but it is still disappointing that the sports editors failed to notice that.

Originally posted by HSsportsFanD2:
Disappointed that the Star had none listed for Anselmo-Merna on Honorable Mention even though the team made it to finals and had two on the all-state team. My guess is there was some lost paperwork, but it is still disappointing that the sports editors failed to notice that.
On a side note from this, the LJS really botched one as well. After reading the comments section of LJS, all three WR's for class C2 listed had under 700 yards receiving and less than 10 TD. A kid from Southern Valley had over 1000 yards and 15 TD's and didn't even get Honorable Mention.

"Class C2 Brice Uhing 620 yards receiving 36 receptions 5 touchdowns,
Jared Bellar 662 yards receiving 26 receptions 9 touchdowns,
Dash Cameron 602 yards receiving 37 receptions 8 touchdowns.
All 3 made Lincoln Journal Star first team All State. Hunter Quinn 1008 yards receiving 47 receptions 15 touchdowns"

Not really sure what to make of this but its heartbreaking for a kid to do as well as he did and doesn't get the recognition he deserves. NAIA colleges jump at the crack of an All state kid joining their squad. FWIW, I've watched film on all three of those kids that received All state honors

Not surprising that the small players dont receive recognition. The Omaha/Lincoln Bias is getting old. The system is flawed. Plus the fact that the Omaha and Lincoln writers probably only watch a few games of C2, D1, and D2 doesn't say much about how they recognize players.

Here is how this whole thing works:
All of the Head Coaches submit a list to the OWH and LJS on All-State. The Head Coach can put one of his guys up or he can put someone else's. If a player is on that list, they are Honorable Mention. Then the OWH and LJS sports writers review all of the picks of the Head Coach and then select the team.
If a kid didn't get Honorable Mention, then no coach probably picked him.

I only have one problem with the selection process. Most teams put their best player at QB. So I'm sure there are probably 25 QBs put up for all state. But the sports writers put some of the QB at defensive back and give them all state. There have been QBs who didn't even play DB the whole year that get All State Defensive Back. I disagree. If they want to put him as and "Athlete" then that's ok. But don't take All State away from a kid at another position.

Well said tacotacoman. Your point is accurate and so idiotic that it happens. Another common place kids get filled in at is kicker/punter. Its a shame that kids who are talented and have put the time in (example of a DB) to become a good player isn't recognized because the writers don't know enough about them and instead put in the 2nd or 3rd best QB in as a DB.

If a QB or whatever position player for that matter isn't the best at that position, he shouldn't be observed as an all-stater. Sure the kid is probably a great player but don't rob from another kid. Basically if Aaron Rodgers is an all pro, Tom Brady doesn't take Richard Sherman's spot ;).

Originally posted by tacotacoman:

Here is how this whole thing works:
All of the Head Coaches submit a list to the OWH and LJS on All-State. The Head Coach can put one of his guys up or he can put someone else's. If a player is on that list, they are Honorable Mention. Then the OWH and LJS sports writers review all of the picks of the Head Coach and then select the team.
If a kid didn't get Honorable Mention, then no coach probably picked him.

I only have one problem with the selection process. Most teams put their best player at QB. So I'm sure there are probably 25 QBs put up for all state. But the sports writers put some of the QB at defensive back and give them all state. There have been QBs who didn't even play DB the whole year that get All State Defensive Back. I disagree. If they want to put him as and "Athlete" then that's ok. But don't take All State away from a kid at another position.
In order to get named Honorable Mention, a player had to receive a minimum of 1 vote from a coach.

ADVERTISEMENT