ADVERTISEMENT

Potential Burt County High School update

Wow that's a lot of information. It seems O-C and T-H are pretty serious. Tekamah has needed a new school forever. Build a new high school in the middle and keep the elementary schools in towns would the best bet. I think it would be an excellent idea.

Lyons and Bancroft make sense, but adding Oakland to that really doesn't in my opinion.

IMO neither community will vote to consolidate. Hopefully this will lead TH to move on and to focus on improving their own facilities.

the proposed spot for a new 9-12 building will be somewhere near Craig. at this time i believe the plan is for each community to keep its own PK-8th in town. TH is closing down Herman building at the end of this school year so all kids will be in tekamah.

IMO neither community will vote to consolidate. Hopefully this will lead TH to move on and to focus on improving their own facilities.
Do they still play in the same gym they had in the mid 2000's? I always remember going in there thinking T-H was one of the bigger East Husker schools at that time and their gym didn't show it. Not an ideal place to play IMO.

Do they still play in the same gym they had in the mid 2000's? I always remember going in there thinking T-H was one of the bigger East Husker schools at that time and their gym didn't show it. Not an ideal place to play IMO.
Good, imo the facilities race at high schools is getting ridiculous. Make sure they have a good floor and two baskets and that's all they need. Of course renovations are fine but we need to start keeping it within reason. Some of the schools and gyms today are too much, especially considering it is paid for with confiscated tax money mostly coming from farmers. Money for proper education is good and necessary, but we don't need to build taj mahals.

Good, imo the facilities race at high schools is getting ridiculous. Make sure they have a good floor and two baskets and that's all they need. Of course renovations are fine but we need to start keeping it within reason. Some of the schools and gyms today are too much, especially considering it is paid for with confiscated tax money mostly coming from farmers. Money for proper education is good and necessary, but we don't need to build taj mahals.
...it's hard to argue with a statement this dumb. No wonder California, Texas, and the whole SEC have all the good athletes. Keep living your life inside your shell while the rest continue to get better. Go sleep on the couch while the rest of the world passes you by...but please don't let your loser attitude affect the kids in our state. They deserve as good or better facilities than any kids in the country. So we should just give up during the facilities race because you want to pinch pennies for a new tractor?

...it's hard to argue with a statement this dumb. No wonder California, Texas, and the whole SEC have all the good athletes. Keep living your life inside your shell while the rest continue to get better. Go sleep on the couch while the rest of the world passes you by...but please don't let your loser attitude affect the kids in our state. They deserve as good or better facilities than any kids in the country. So we should just give up during the facilities race because you want to pinch pennies for a new tractor?
What a juvenile response to a common argument. Some of the facilities are plain ridiculous. Some need upgraded but I stand by my Taj Mahal analogy...we don't need them.
Yet again, someone thinks high school is all about sports. It's not, or it shouldn't be at least.
Quick...go build a new 5 million dollar gym in Tekemah and then they will be as good as California, Florida, and the southern schools!

Reactions: huskerfrog1
"Some of the facilities are plain ridiculous."

You've never been out of Nebraska, have you?

"Yet again, someone thinks high school is all about sports."

You know you're on a sports discussion board, right?

"Quick...go build a new 5 million dollar gym in Tekemah and then they will be as good as California, Florida, and the southern schools!"
Who are you to decide on limiting how good an athlete from Tekamah or anywhere in Nebraska can be? Your "loser" attitude is a problem in this state. To attract & keep the best athletes in state, facilities are a big deal to kids & their families. Fact.

If you want to go isolate yourself from national relevance, do us a favor, move to Montana.

I am not asking for a "Taj Mahal" but I do think kids and communities deserve facilities of which they can be proud--especially the kids. Tekamah-Herman is in obvious need of facilities upgrades both for academics and activities. New or updated facilities would obviously make the community more attractive.

I guess you could look at it this way. If you don't show your kids you're invested in them now, what makes you think they will want to move back after they get a degree? T-H is in definite need of upgrades or new facilities, and have failed to pass bond issues. A vote against upgrading facilities and then an eventual vote against merging with O-C would just show the lack of support from the community. If I'm a family looking to move to the area for a job, why choose that district? If I'm a family that has kids in the elementary school now, why would I want to stay and wait for the ceiling to fall in on my kid? The high school building/gym is dilapidated and the football field/track is in really poor condition (I don't even think they can have track meets there anymore). The teachers, coaches, and kids of that school district deserve a lot better. Don't be surprised if you see some families transfer/move out of the district if that trend continues.
Agreed, but I believe that T-H or anyone in Nebraska should not only update their facilities, they should build to compete on a national level. Why don't our student-athletes deserve great facilities like anyone in Cali, Texas & Florida?

Agreed, but I believe that T-H or anyone in Nebraska should not only update their facilities, they should build to compete on a national level. Why don't our student-athletes deserve great facilities like anyone in Cali, Texas & Florida?
The State of Nebraska is so far behind on facilities, not only at the high school level but even at the college level, as a State its population is not very well traveled or exposed to the world and has been passed up by most. I will give you an example, we all love Nebraska football and believe it should compete at the national level year in and year out but we pay our coach a salary that does not reflect that at all and if we did pay 4 or 5 million a year for a football coach, how many Nebraskan's would say that is ridiculous and truth it would be normal for a top 10 program and we set at 1.9 million half of what it really takes to find a great coach. We love Nebraska football but its facilities ware great if you still live in the 1980s and most Nebraskan's do. Our NAIA schools have football fields worst than most all High schools in the top states. The drop in facilities is the same in academic circles and opportunities as well.

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
The State of Nebraska is so far behind on facilities, not only at the high school level but even at the college level, as a State its population is not very well traveled or exposed to the world and has been passed up by most. I will give you an example, we all love Nebraska football and believe it should compete at the national level year in and year out but we pay our coach a salary that does not reflect that at all and if we did pay 4 or 5 million a year for a football coach, how many Nebraskan's would say that is ridiculous and truth it would be normal for a top 10 program and we set at 1.9 million half of what it really takes to find a great coach. We love Nebraska football but its facilities ware great if you still live in the 1980s and most Nebraskan's do. Our NAIA schools have football fields worst than most all High schools in the top states. The drop in facilities is the same in academic circles and opportunities as well.
Uh oh, I agree with nut. I'm heading to the bar and probably will use whatever level of facilities they have available :D

Not involving Burt County, but a few weeks ago the Ewing school district approved a resolution to form a sports co-op with Clearwater/Orchard. Now a few days ago, they have decided to rescind that option after many community members were not in support of such a move. Ewing residents felt the decision was made too hastily. There is a feasibility study underway looking at a possible Clearwater-Orchard-Ewing sports co-op that should be completed by January or February. Ewing will co-op with C-O for all junior high sports except football. Ewing has an already existing co-op agreement in place for football with Chambers/Wheeler Central.

Reactions: nenebskers
Not involving Burt County, but a few weeks ago the Ewing school district approved a resolution to form a sports co-op with Clearwater/Orchard. Now a few days ago, they have decided to rescind that option after many community members were not in support of such a move. Ewing residents felt the decision was made too hastily. There is a feasibility study underway looking at a possible Clearwater-Orchard-Ewing sports co-op that should be completed by January or February. Ewing will co-op with C-O for all junior high sports except football. Ewing has an already existing co-op agreement in place for football with Chambers/Wheeler Central.
I don't understand Ewing. It's not 2008 anymore. They need to co-op or consolidate with C/O. It's like Spencer-Naper consolidating and Butte saying "nah we are good."

http://norfolkdailynews.com/news/ne...cle_fc99ea16-49cd-11e6-99f8-77987789c3c8.html

School boards at Oakland-Craig and Tekamah-Herman will decide next week whether or not to proceed with putting out a ballot issue for the public for this November's election on a $38.5 million bond issue that would consolidate the two school districts.

The plan, if approved, would entail $34.7 million for a new high school with a football stadium complex and related costs, $1.2 million for purchase of land, $1.5 million in existing building improvements and $1.1 million in technology infrastructure and other costs.

The new high school building would be built within a two-mile radius of the junction of Highway 32 and Country Road 21 -- a half-mile north of Craig. The preliminary site plan calls for a new high school, agribusiness area, small livestock area, future maintenance and career prep/agribusiness area, football field, track, two softball fields and a football practice field.

A new high school curriculum would entail traditional academic programs and career prep programs such as agribusines, Family and Consumer Sciences/health sciences, information technology/construction and business/computers, extracurricular, fine arts and sports programs -- with new sports of baseball, softball, soccer and a trap range also offered.

Cost estimates run between $300,000 and $500,000 to demolish the current 1916 Oakland-Craig High School if a merger proceeds.

I don't understand Ewing. It's not 2008 anymore. They need to co-op or consolidate with C/O. It's like Spencer-Naper consolidating and Butte saying "nah we are good."
I don't know the exact story, but the Spencer-Naper consolidation was done more as a slap in the face to Butte than anything. Naper was going to fold up and went to Butte to consolidate, Butte gave them a crap offer so Naper pretty much said screw off and went to Spencer instead. It was never going to be a 3 town deal. Butte wasn't offered into the consolidation until it became West Boyd not many years ago.

Saw over the weekend in the Norfolk Daily News:

Clearwater/Orchard will accept Ewing as a co-op member for all junior high sports (minus football) so long as Ewing agrees to go by "Cyclones". They will be known as the OCE Cyclones

The Oakland-Craig school board voted 7-2, and the Tekamah-Herman board voted 5-1 to put the bond issue for a new high school and merger before the voters this November.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT