ADVERTISEMENT

Randolph - Osmond Co-op

GrizzzlyPanda

Freshman
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2021
At the Osmond School Board meeting last night, the board voted 0-5 in favor of moving forward with a cooperative agreement with Randolph. From the sounds of it, Osmond is willing to co-op, just isn't going to be with Randolph. Will be interesting to see where this goes now that the Randolph route seems to be coming to an end.

Honestly I'm not surprised with this vote. I've been hearing rumblings that it wouldn't be renewed.

what a total shitshow it has been, changes need to be made now they all will have to buy new uni's again and come up with another mascot.

Reactions: Hardwoodbeaver
One would have to assume Wausa....I do not see Plainview being a suitor.
Plainview already took the athletes from the surrounding schools haha no need to pick up any more to bump up classes :D. Gotta think it is Wausa based on them combining one acts in the past and the proximity. Without looking at the numbers I wouldnt assume it bumps them out of 8 man football and wouldnt think it makes a massive impact in terms of other sports either. I think Wausmond makes the most sense and will be what we see.

what a total shitshow it has been, changes need to be made now they all will have to buy new uni's again and come up with another mascot.
Yeah and that money racks up fast. If its Wausa they should go with the clemson colors since the schools are orange and purple anyway. In terms of a mascot instead of being overly generic like the hawks or cougars or coops of that nature, I would love to see something more regional related. Maybe explorers or something considering they are both part of the Lewis and Clark Conference. Perhaps Pioneers or something I am not sure. Just not another boring mascot please.

Reactions: TC53
Osmond went to wausa before getting into talks with Randolph a few years ago about co-oping junior high sports and high school basketball, wausa was not interested at that time. Has that changed?maybe I don’t know. For the time being it puts them into class C2 for everything. They would likely have a hard time being competitive in 11 man football too. For these co-ops to work it seems like they need to start out fairly competitive.

I would guess osmond elects to play 6 man football for 2 years then see where their numbers are at. They were quite competitive in 7/8, 9/10, 11/12 baseball over the summer. Does that translate to a point where you’re competitive in football in a few years and have 4 or 5 boys going out each class? Again I don’t know

Reactions: CenterPanthers57
Why the vote no with Randolph? What went wrong in the eyes of the Osmond board? Geographicly speaking and from an equal needs standpoint I thought the coop made a lot of sense.

Sounds like Osmond and Randolph school boards had a joint meeting the beginning of September. Whatever was said there lead to osmond administration feeling it was not in their students best interest long or short term to enter into a football co/op with Randolph. Not sure what that means for the basketball co/op. Appears that osmond is no longer with wausa for play production too, not sure if that’s a new development or if they were on their own last year too.

It was going to be very hard for them to be competitive in 11 man football if they agreed to co/op so i do get the decision from that stand point.

Sounds like Osmond and Randolph school boards had a joint meeting the beginning of September. Whatever was said there lead to osmond administration feeling it was not in their students best interest long or short term to enter into a football co/op with Randolph. Not sure what that means for the basketball co/op. Appears that osmond is no longer with wausa for play production too, not sure if that’s a new development or if they were on their own last year too.

It was going to be very hard for them to be competitive in 11 man football if they agreed to co/op so i do get the decision from that stand point.
Using the current numbers, their combined number would be at 54, which is close the 8 man cut off number. They could opt down for two years and potentially be eligible for 8 man down the road.

Didn't Osmond cancel their football season this year?

From the minutes of Monday night's school board meeting in Osmond

Principal Polt reported on:........11) made a recommendtion to not enter into a football co-op with Randolph schools in the best interest of OCS students and longevity concerns.

Athletic Director Guenther provided a co-op update with Randolph schools from his perspective regarding practice time, school schedules and logistics.

Superintendent Bremer reported on: ......9) noted he is in agreement with Principal Polt to not move forward with a football co-op with Randolph schools at this time, noting it woud be in the best interest of OCS students.

It was moved [by the Board] that Osmond Community Schools enter into a two-year football co-op with Randolph Public Schools beginning with the 2024-2025 school year as the Hawks. For: 0, Against: 5

I don't think Randolph wanted to coop in football with Osmond.
From the September 13, 2023 Randolph school board meeting:

Motion was made by Miller and seconded by Linville in approving a 2-year cooperative agreement with Osmond Community Schools for high school football beginning with the 2024-2025 school year. On roll call vote, motion failed 0-6.

Sounds like Wausa is gonna hold some meetings and discuss the coop, perhaps the tigers have some answers soon wether thats yes or no.

If Osmond-Wausa co-op and it goes over well. It makes things interesting up that way due to they are both in the middle of six communities all in similar situations. Creighton, Plainview, Bloomfield, and Randolph are the remaining three.

Plainview is not in a similar situation to the other 5 communities you listed. Plainview's school numbers are very healthy, and I believe they'll be upper 50s in boys enrollment in the football cycle 3 years from now.

Plainview is not in a similar situation to the other 5 communities you listed. Plainview's school numbers are very healthy, and I believe they'll be upper 50s in boys enrollment in the football cycle 3 years from now.
I know they have a larger enrollment. They aren't in the exact situation, but they are a Class D school with a community population under 1,300. Just like the other remaining communities. Do you think Plainview will play 11 man football again?

I know they have a larger enrollment. They aren't in the exact situation, but they are a Class D school with a community population under 1,300. Just like the other remaining communities. Do you think Plainview will play 11 man football again?
I wouldnt be suprised to see plainview in 11-man in the near future. From what I have been told their class sizes i the elementary are quite large and their Head Coach/Ad was at Battle Creek before I believe so in terms of the coaching it wouldnt be too hard of a transition

If Osmond-Wausa co-op and it goes over well. It makes things interesting up that way due to they are both in the middle of six communities all in similar situations. Creighton, Plainview, Bloomfield, and Randolph are the remaining three.
Creighton and Bloomfield makes a lot of sense as well as they are already combined for youth football. Not sure if this would push their numbers high enough they would have to go up to 11 as well but in terms of all sports those two schools out of the previous mentioned make the most sense. I can see plainview staying on their own and surviving quite well which would leave Randolph on the outside forced to go east to like LCC or maybe go north to the Hartington-Newcastle route. I know Randolphs numbers trend up but some of these schools need to think okay we trend up but for how long? Will we end up in a position like osmond whos canceling sports due to numbers? It wasn't a LONG time ago creighton was an 11 man team and now they barely have 11 kids out for football. Change is coming and I think the first teams in that northeast region that buy into the change are gonna be better off than the ones who hold their pride the longest.

I know Randolphs numbers trend up but some of these schools need to think okay we trend up but for how long? Will we end up in a position like osmond whos canceling sports due to numbers? It wasn't a LONG time ago creighton was an 11 man team and now they barely have 11 kids out for football. Change is coming and I think the first teams in that northeast region that buy into the change are gonna be better off than the ones who hold their pride the longest.
This 1,000%. I really think another Summerland school up that way would be a great thing for that area instead of having so many schools.

Yes, I do believe they'll play 11-man football again.

Creighton-Bloomfield would form a 11 man squad if they co-op now and a borderline c-1 squad in the long run. Creightons number are down now but they really come back in the lower elementary grades.

Plainview is going to play 11 man again. Healthy numbers of the 30 range in elementary classes.

Randolph’s numbers come back pretty strong in the long run and the community has really got behind that cardinal kids learning center for K-5 year olds they put together. Believe that had 80+ kids in it earlier this year according to some articles.

Will be interesting to see what happens with wausa and osmond. They just talked 2 years ago and it sounded like it was a no from wausa at that time. Will be interesting to see if feelings have changed since then and if their combined numbers can some how squeak them into the top half of D1. Maybe they just try the JH route like it sounds like Bloomfield and Creighton are currently doing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT