Oakland-Craig over Gibbon
Aquinas over Sutton
St. Cecilia over Crofton

Semi-Finals:
Battle Creek over Oakland-Craig
Aquinas over St. Cecilia

Championship:
Aquinas over Battle Creek
Pretty much this. I'll be shocked if it's not Battle Creek vs Aquinas in the finals. Aquinas win this game too, just a damn good program.

I am picking Aquinas all the way. There is not a sleeper team. The starting defense has given up 10 points all year. Scotus was the opponent.

Reactions: MH Posse
Does anyone remember how the Aquinas vs Scotus game went? If memory serves me right it was @ scotus and Aquinas was up 6-0 at halftime?

I don't know about this. I could totally be wrong but I saw Oakland-Craig early on and wasn't that impressed. I'm pretty sure they beat OBT though.
I would agree, OC has been overrated all year. They have an easy first round match up, but will lose to Gibbon in the second round.

Aquinas will win it. Everyone else is playing for second. They may not get scored on in the whole tournament.

I don't really consider them to be a "sleeper" team... but I think BC wins it all. To go undefeated with their schedule is a real accomplishment.

I wouldn't count Aquinas out just because of their defense might be the best in C2 this year. Coach Ron Mimick and his assistants will have their team ready to play week in and week out you can count on that. Best of luck to everyone tomorrow night.

Scotus was ahead 7-6 at halftime.
Scotus scored first on a pass play, Aquinas scored on the last play of the first half. They made the point after but had it nullified with a penalty. Missed second attempt. Scotus hit a field goal in the second half, Aquinas missed one. Near the end Aquinas was driving toward the goal but fumbled. Great game

I would agree, OC has been overrated all year. They have an easy first round match up, but will lose to Gibbon in the second round.
Oakland is not an over rated team. They have quality wins against Crofton and Stanton and played a poor 3rd quarter in a loss to BC, they have won easily in every other game. They play tough defense. I would say they are a little predictable on offense, but with the kids they have can afford to do so, good QB, LB, receivers and tough runner, I think they are too physical for OBT and Gibbon

Oakland is not an over rated team. They have quality wins against Crofton and Stanton and played a poor 3rd quarter in a loss to BC, they have won easily in every other game. They play tough defense. I would say they are a little predictable on offense, but with the kids they have can afford to do so, good QB, LB, receivers and tough runner, I think they are too physical for OBT and Gibbon
With Gibbon losing the starting QB, I say OC is the favorite in this one now

Mark Mclaughlin and staff have an edge over O/C's. It will be closer since Snell is out, but I like Gibbon.

Mark Mclaughlin and staff have an edge over O/C's. It will be closer since Snell is out, but I like Gibbon.
Serious question, how many titles has Gibbon's staff won, or what makes them better the OCs? I know O-C has 3 coaches on staff who have been part of state championship teams as a coach, and 2 who were on championship teams as players. I don't know much about Coach Mclaughlin and his staff other then that Coach Mc is a hot name as a rising coach.

Last edited:
2010 Husker:
I have never won a state title as a head coach, or been a part of one as an assistant. In 1999 I was part of a class B state championship team, but that was over a decade and a half ago.

Coach Anderson and his staff had a great game plan coming into the game. We hadn't given up a passing touchdown all season (and only 210 yards through the air all season). We were pretty battle tested in the run game on defense coming in, but not very battle tested in the passing game. There are few teams in C-2 that really have an effective and efficient passing game. Oakland-Craig is one of them and I feel like we are another. We knew that we would have to play man coverage against them to effectively stop their running game with Hoss Smith and Cole Mitchell. They came out and challenged us throwing the ball early. They connected on two pass plays back to back for 109 yards and 2 TDs. One was a motion wheel route to Mace and the other was a quick hitch to Seagren that ended up breaking a tackle and going 70 yards or so. They have 3 great receiving options (23-Mace who will be on my all-state list, 1-Seagren who is a great player, and 15-Ahrens their TE that they use when you fall asleep on him or take your safety out to help on one of the other two). Mitchell was efficient in the passing game all night. He deserves a ton of credit. Coming into the game he was a 51% passer I think, which led me to believe we could play man coverage. Obviously our defensive game plan failed and that is 100% on me. Give a lot of credit to Coach Anderson, his staff, and the efficiency of the O-C passing game.

Big Red Thoughts:
I saw earlier on here you were talking about OC and said "I think they are too physical for OBT and Gibbon". I'm curious, had you seen us play at the time of your statement? If so, what game did you see? If not, what were you basing your opinion on? Do you still believe that statement to be true? Just curious.

Good luck to the 4 remaining teams in class C-2. They are all very worthy teams. I know St Cecilia will be down one of their studs due to injury (which I have unfortunately learned is just part of the game). I will be interested in seeing if their QB, Kitten, and Sealey can carry the load for them against what I believe to be the best C-2 team of my life time in Aquinas. Regardless of the outcome of this coming Friday's games, enjoy the moment. It is something that kids across the state would love to trade you for. We will be turning in our pads this coming week....something every senior and coach wants to avoid as long as possible.

Mark McLaughlin
Gibbon Public Schools

2010 Husker:
I have never won a state title as a head coach, or been a part of one as an assistant. In 1999 I was part of a class B state championship team, but that was over a decade and a half ago.

Coach Anderson and his staff had a great game plan coming into the game. We hadn't given up a passing touchdown all season (and only 210 yards through the air all season). We were pretty battle tested in the run game on defense coming in, but not very battle tested in the passing game. There are few teams in C-2 that really have an effective and efficient passing game. Oakland-Craig is one of them and I feel like we are another. We knew that we would have to play man coverage against them to effectively stop their running game with Hoss Smith and Cole Mitchell. They came out and challenged us throwing the ball early. They connected on two pass plays back to back for 109 yards and 2 TDs. One was a motion wheel route to Mace and the other was a quick hitch to Seagren that ended up breaking a tackle and going 70 yards or so. They have 3 great receiving options (23-Mace who will be on my all-state list, 1-Seagren who is a great player, and 15-Ahrens their TE that they use when you fall asleep on him or take your safety out to help on one of the other two). Mitchell was efficient in the passing game all night. He deserves a ton of credit. Coming into the game he was a 51% passer I think, which led me to believe we could play man coverage. Obviously our defensive game plan failed and that is 100% on me. Give a lot of credit to Coach Anderson, his staff, and the efficiency of the O-C passing game.

Big Red Thoughts:
I saw earlier on here you were talking about OC and said "I think they are too physical for OBT and Gibbon". I'm curious, had you seen us play at the time of your statement? If so, what game did you see? If not, what were you basing your opinion on? Do you still believe that statement to be true? Just curious.

Good luck to the 4 remaining teams in class C-2. They are all very worthy teams. I know St Cecilia will be down one of their studs due to injury (which I have unfortunately learned is just part of the game). I will be interested in seeing if their QB, Kitten, and Sealey can carry the load for them against what I believe to be the best C-2 team of my life time in Aquinas. Regardless of the outcome of this coming Friday's games, enjoy the moment. It is something that kids across the state would love to trade you for. We will be turning in our pads this coming week....something every senior and coach wants to avoid as long as possible.

Mark McLaughlin
Gibbon Public Schools
I have seen OC play twice in person, they were very physical and battle tested against a good schedule. As for Gibbon, I had seen only film and what I have heard from people in that part of state. You have a good team and unfortunately ran into some difficult circumstances. I will be interested to see the result of the OC - BC rematch and feel Aquinas will win easy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT