ADVERTISEMENT

45 PT Rule

Power_I_82

Freshman
Jan 15, 2019
Anybody else miss this rule. I think some coaches miss the point of why they went with the running clock at 35. At least with the 45 point rule a coach had to manage the end of the game with his younger kids. Honestly, to me there isn't much sense in playing starters up 35+ in the second half, but many coaches keep them in. I think all the running clock rule has accomplished is inflated stats and scoring records. If you ask any kid if they would rather get beat 52-6 and the game ended in the fourth quarter or get beat 84-6 and have to play the whole game I'm sure most would rather end the game. I'd venture a guess that JV kids aren't getting to play a whole lot more than they did under the 45pt mercy rule.

Coaches are nuts. It's the whole "well if he's leaving in his starters on defense (or offense) then I'm leaving my guys in." Really? I remember when I played 8-man and we had the 45 point rule our coach would manage VERY carefully to not end the game to make sure the young guys got playing time. He was super pissed one time when a reserve running back broke a long run and scored and ended the game.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
Anybody else miss this rule. I think some coaches miss the point of why they went with the running clock at 35. At least with the 45 point rule a coach had to manage the end of the game with his younger kids. Honestly, to me there isn't much sense in playing starters up 35+ in the second half, but many coaches keep them in. I think all the running clock rule has accomplished is inflated stats and scoring records. If you ask any kid if they would rather get beat 52-6 and the game ended in the fourth quarter or get beat 84-6 and have to play the whole game I'm sure most would rather end the game. I'd venture a guess that JV kids aren't getting to play a whole lot more than they did under the 45pt mercy rule.
If the 45 point rule were in effect last year my son would not have scored the 5 td's he had. The running clock was in play when he scored all of them and the 45 point rule would have already been enforced. I agree that some teams do not like the running clock as it only adds salt to the wound but would also venture to guess many kids only see the field because of this. Our coach tries to work with the other teams coach, so if they choose to keep starters in then our starters would go back out. Last week our fullback touched the ball 10 times scoring 7 td's. They ranged anywhere from 8 yards to 48. He has not put up these sort of numbers all year but the opponent was keying on the quarterback so much that it worked out in his favor. I believe the seniors who have put in 4 years of blood, sweat, and tears deserve to play. Its hard to take a starter out who is finally having a career game. Yes records will be broken by this standard compared to the old 45 point rule. Last week we had 40 points 38 seconds into the second quarter. That wasn't much playing time for the starters but also we were well in command, so the jv could have easily finished it out.
I would say that the 3rd strings and such are seeing more playing time with the running clock, but we have always knelt down when it got down to the last minute or so and we were in command of the game. I believe that jv games are for the jv kids and varsity is for the varsity. Second string should expect a chance to play but offering everyone playing time is crazy. That is why only 12-14 bball players suit up for varsity basketball games. The competition level just isn't even in the small schools. Every dog has their day(year).

Coaches are nuts. It's the whole "well if he's leaving in his starters on defense (or offense) then I'm leaving my guys in." Really? I remember when I played 8-man and we had the 45 point rule our coach would manage VERY carefully to not end the game to make sure the young guys got playing time. He was super pissed one time when a reserve running back broke a long run and scored and ended the game.
Talked to a parent from a Kansas team who had a terrible year with undersized kids and mostly underclassmen. They were 45'd in every game and hardly played into the 3rd quarter in any game. Yes the other teams could have just played their jv and probably still won the game but that isn't why the game is played. These kids couldn't go play jv as they were the starters so what are they to do? IMO they probably should have co-op'd with another school due to lacking numbers but they didn't even get a chance to play against lower level competition with the 45 point rule. In this instant the running clock rule would have allowed a better opportunity for them to play against some of the scrubs on these other teams but to say they need to be subbing in the first or second quarter is crazy to me.

I say bring it back. Watched a game this with a running clock entire 2nd half and winning team had their starting backfield in till the kneel down at the end of the game. Have also watched games in years past where timeouts have been called by the winning team in running clock situation

• Wow
I've been on both sides of these games and imagine most coaches have. You never tell your kids to go "half speed" in a game you are winning big. My message is always to get after the guy across from you. However, I think you can be creative in how you call your plays and who you have running the ball (key word running). Also, taking time to send the play in can help too. Sit your LB's and DB's back off the line of scrimmage and extra step or two on defense. There are ways to coach these games without being a complete dick.

Got this from guys on chain gang. Losing team keep 1st team in whole game and call time outs with 25 seconds and 2 seconds left in the game during a running clock situation. His reasoning was because it would be most points given up by the opponent all year. I'd say congrats on your seniors doing that versus the other teams 85-125 lb freshman. I prefer the running clock because I feel playing time is only way to get experience. It just seems some coaches don't handle it correctly.

No coach plays starters deep into a blowout in second half, especially in 8 man when depth is a problem, there might be an isolated incident but definitely not a regular occurrence, the JV kids love getting time and potentially making a play on Friday nights when the game dictates that

No coach plays starters deep into a blowout in second half, especially in 8 man when depth is a problem, there might be an isolated incident but definitely not a regular occurrence, the JV kids love getting time and potentially making a play on Friday nights when the game dictates that
I wouldn't say "no coach", but by and large I tend to agree. One problem I've seen is the losing coaches keep their 1's in too long, for no reason other than ego, the winning team can't sub as deeply (In some cases as a player safety issue) so... On the running clock issue my biggest problem is that once it triggers, in my mind, it should never revert back. Ever. Do it like hoops. As a vote, I like this version of the mercy rule better, nonetheless.

I wouldn't say "no coach", but by and large I tend to agree. One problem I've seen is the losing coaches keep their 1's in too long, for no reason other than ego, the winning team can't sub as deeply (In some cases as a player safety issue) so... On the running clock issue my biggest problem is that once it triggers, in my mind, it should never revert back. Ever. Do it like hoops. As a vote, I like this version of the mercy rule better, nonetheless.
I agree with that, because if you are up 42 to 0 at half It is tough to say JV the rest of the game, Because your JV may not be very good and the losing team always leaves their varsity in. 14 quick points and now you are scrambling to bring your varsity hands team out to stop an onside attempt after setting halftime and half the third quarter and now the clock stops and you almost have to bring your varsity in

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT