ADVERTISEMENT

Football All-State Teams

Always have a hard time taking these lists serious. For example in the LJS, how can Ethan Piper from Norfolk Catholic make 1st Team Super State for OL but not make 1st Team Class C1 for OL? For C1 he's 1st Team DL. He's one of the best in the state but not his class?

Always have a hard time taking these lists serious. For example in the LJS, how can Ethan Piper from Norfolk Catholic make 1st Team Super State for OL but not make 1st Team Class C1 for OL? For C1 he's 1st Team DL. He's one of the best in the state but not his class?
I understand your point, and I think it is valid. That said, I think it is possible for a kid to be all-state caliber on both sides of the ball. Piper might very well be one of the best O-linemen in the state of Nebraska (which would obviously make him one of the best in C1). He might also be one of the best defensive linemen in C1. If he is one of the best 3-5 defensive linemen in C1 than I have no issues with him making it as a DL rather than OL.

I understand your point, and I think it is valid. That said, I think it is possible for a kid to be all-state caliber on both sides of the ball. Piper might very well be one of the best O-linemen in the state of Nebraska (which would obviously make him one of the best in C1). He might also be one of the best defensive linemen in C1. If he is one of the best 3-5 defensive linemen in C1 than I have no issues with him making it as a DL rather than OL.

I agree he is, and is deserving on either side. But don't put him on one side for Super State then the other side for all state in the class. Essentially what they try to do is get the best players on the teams thus you see kids get moved around a lot.

Personally I just don't care to see, for example, the 2nd best QB, get all state as a DB. There are plenty of deserving DBs out there. They don't need to replace and reward someone else because they aren't the best at their position but you want to recognize them. Sorry but 2nd team all state is pretty damn impressive too.

Last edited:
Reactions: hailvictors2
They do that a lot at the Punter/kicker position. If a team has an all-state caliber position player that also punts/kicks they will stick the kid as punter or kicker on the all-state team to conserve a spot at QB, DB, WR, LB, or whatever position the kid plays.

Reactions: nenebskers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT