ADVERTISEMENT

Football Aurora to Class C1

I heard the football coaches were for B and the other coaches wanted C1. What I don't understand is that it looks like they are back in B for basketball, and it is only the football line that they are under. Am I reading the numbers wrong or was this only about football?

I heard the football coaches were for B and the other coaches wanted C1. What I don't understand is that it looks like they are back in B for basketball, and it is only the football line that they are under. Am I reading the numbers wrong or was this only about football?
next year classifications for all sports maybe based on boy--girl enrollment and that will change things

I still get Aurora girls and boys safely in Class B basketball and volleyball. Must have been football only controversy.

This will be interesting to follow.

To me, they would be just fine in Class B with all the Omaha suburb schools out and basically Omaha Skutt the only one left. I personally believe this is a huge win for the schools outside of Omaha in Class B, and York, McCook, GI Northwest and Scottsbluff could really benefit of this. Skutt is the clear big winner.

If my math is right, class B will have something like 22 schools next year? Will they still play a 16 team playoff?

To me, unless there are very, very unique reasons, opting UP, is just a smidge less worse than opting down. IMO it reeks of hubris and arrogance. I totally respect Aurora football, but seriously? What is wrong with Class C1??? While they certainly aren't fearful, nor are they willing to make really transparent excuses, playing up, just to say you are, strikes me as foolhardy.

To me, unless there are very, very unique reasons, opting UP, is just a smidge less worse than opting down. IMO it reeks of hubris and arrogance. I totally respect Aurora football, but seriously? What is wrong with Class C1??? While they certainly aren't fearful, nor are they willing to make really transparent excuses, playing up, just to say you are, strikes me as foolhardy.
Playing up and playing down, is a JOKE to the State Of Nebraska and is why 99% of the States in the USA do not allow it.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
16 of 22 teams qualifying is equal to just under 73% of the teams in the class. Apply that to the current class A and North Platte gets in this year at 2-7 as the 20th team of 28, which is 72%

Plattsmouth already got in at 3-6 in class B and that was with 32 teams. Can't wait to see what happens when 16 of 22 get in. Seriously pathetic.

Last edited:
Reactions: nenebskers

Did I miss something where it was stated that people in Aurora were wanting to be in Class B just for the sake of being Class be?

A few things:
-If you've been in a certain class for say 15-20 years, and you are right on the cusp of that line, and maybe have bigger classes coming in, what's wrong with opting up? I can't find anything wrong with sticking with where your tradition lies. I can't imagine those folks sat in that room when voting and someone said, "Boy, we can't be associated with that nasty Class C1 Football! We're CLASS B, gal darnit!"

-If you've got the horses to run with the bigger class and you want to roll that way, why the heck not? I don't know anything about Aurora, other than they had some darn good teams a few years back (no idea how they did this year). Folks bash schools on here for being cowards and playing down a class, then we're gonna bash schools for wanting to play up? What is this Goldilocks and the three bears? Gotta be "juuuust right"?

-Conspiracy: maybe Aurora just likes to make the playoffs every year and get cool shirts, so they know it's easier to get in in Class B ;)

What if you want to keep playing the teams you've been playing for 20-50-80 years? I think that's a reason to opt up. When I think Aurora rivalry games, I think York, Seward, GINW. Those are Class B teams. Can't that be a reason?

What if you want to keep playing the teams you've been playing for 20-50-80 years? I think that's a reason to opt up. When I think Aurora rivalry games, I think York, Seward, GINW. Those are Class B teams. Can't that be a reason?

Agree. Class B with only 22 teams... the changes made by the NSAA are not making things better for the next cycle.

Agree. Class B with only 22 teams... the changes made by the NSAA are not making things better for the next cycle.
Funny Class B cries for years that the enrollment gap is to large and something needs to be done, so they do and now they cry its to small, face the facts its a little ass state and we just dont have very many B schools

Funny Class B cries for years that the enrollment gap is to large and something needs to be done, so they do and now they cry its to small, face the facts its a little ass state and we just dont have very many B schools
I don't have a problem with the # of teams. I have a problem with the fact they shrunk the class and not the playoff field. There should be a direct correlation between the two numbers. That doesn't seem complicated, but apparently it was a concept lost by the brilliant minds that put this in place.

Last edited:
Reactions: northeastNebraska
Playing up and playing down, is a JOKE to the State Of Nebraska and is why 99% of the States in the USA do not allow it.

That's actually false. Colorado allows opting up but not down. Valor Christian (you may have heard of them) is a 4A school that opts up to play football in 5A, and there are few other schools that opt up a class in football because they want to play better competition. IMO nothing wrong with opting up if you have the numbers and talent to compete.

That's actually false. Colorado allows opting up but not down. Valor Christian (you may have heard of them) is a 4A school that opts up to play football in 5A, and there are few other schools that opt up a class in football because they want to play better competition. IMO nothing wrong with opting up if you have the numbers and talent to compete.
You are correct opting up is allowed but opting down is not That is what i have a problem with and yes the schools need to come up with a formula that sets for all classes and number of teams that make playoffs,

I'd rather see Class B have an 8 team playoff this year. I don't feel like all classes should be the same when it comes to playoffs games because not all classes have the same amount of teams.

I'd rather see Class B have an 8 team playoff this year. I don't feel like all classes should be the same when it comes to playoffs games because not all classes have the same amount of teams.

Completely agree. If only 22 teams fall within the number set fine but the 1st Round of the playoff in B will be a joke.

My personal opinion is that the state won't allow 22 in Class B and 33 in Class A.

If it stands at 22, makes it pretty simple IMO. Two divisions, 10 games, the 10th would be the same week as the 1st round of A/C1/C2 playoffs. Then take the top 4 in each to a 8 team playoff.

That being said the NSAA should have studied this closer. Just changing the bottom number on B would add 4 schools.

If it stands at 22, makes it pretty simple IMO. Two divisions, 10 games, the 10th would be the same week as the 1st round of A/C1/C2 playoffs. Then take the top 4 in each to a 8 team playoff.

That being said the NSAA should have studied this closer. Just changing the bottom number on B would add 4 schools.

They've already set the district/playoff format for Class B. It'll remain a nine-game schedule and a 16-team playoff bracket

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT