ADVERTISEMENT

Best Championship Games

Suhisabeast

Freshman
Gold Member
Dec 10, 2009
with the playoff coming up, I'm interested to know what some of the best championship games you've seen in person. For me it's Crete vs McCook in 2007. Probably the best high school football game I've ever seen. Crete came in as the defending champs, and McCook was out for revenge as Crete beat them in the semis the year before, ending their incredible home winning streak. Both teams defense stood tall, and the game was settled in the first ot in class b championship history. It was an incredible game on a very cold and windy night.

Aquinas/Battle Creek 1994. Double overtime win for the Monarchs...Remember it like yesterday!!! I still shiver thinking about it...darn cold! Back to back state championships for Coach Mimick and his team.

Doesn't it have to be the Auburn-Valentine game? Goes to overtime and Auburn wins 28-27. Valentine hit the upright on their PAT. Keep in mind the uprights at Memorial Stadium are 1' narrower than the uprights on a regulation HS field. I realize Auburn made it, but that game continues to 2OT if the game is played using regulation goal posts, like it should be.

Last edited:
Reactions: northeastNebraska
hailvictors then you play it on a regulation field as well with the hashmarks for highschool not college. time to move it out of memorial stadium and move it to a venue that is regulation with proper hashmarks and highschool goalposts.

Reactions: hailvictors2
They use the high school hash marks for the championship games. Games played at UNK, Wayne State and any other college field in the state use the college goal posts as well. Wayne plays at Wayne State, Kearney at UNK, Bergan and Fremont High on Midland's field, Seward plays at Concordia.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
hailvictors then you play it on a regulation field as well with the hashmarks for highschool not college. time to move it out of memorial stadium and move it to a venue that is regulation with proper hashmarks and highschool goalposts.
I completely agree. Using non-regulation size goal posts in the biggest game of the year is inexcusable. That would be like using the college 3 point line at the Vault for the state tourney.

Back on topic now. I stand by that Auburn-Valentine game as the best state title game of all time

They use the high school hash marks for the championship games. Games played at UNK, Wayne State and any other college field in the state use the college goal posts as well. Wayne plays at Wayne State, Kearney at UNK, Bergan and Fremont High on Midland's field, Seward plays at Concordia.
Crete plays at Diane. Add that to the list. Lincoln Lutheran and Lincoln Christian play at Wesleyan

I like the games being played at memorial, but if the games were to ever move I would vote for seacrest. Just a few weeks ago I watched my first game there and it’s a great stadium. It would make for an incredible atomsphere for the smaller classes. However would it be big enough for class a and b? I have no idea how many fans it can hold

Wayne State's goal posts are able to be slid out to make them wider for high school games. They then move them back in for college games. Just one set of hash marks though.

Reactions: hailvictors2
A few of mine...

2007 Class C1 Pierce 34 Neumann 28 in OT. Pierce roared back for fourth quarter comeback. Was awesome.

2007 Class D1 Pope John 39 Clarkson 30. Back and forth game, Pope John got it done. (That same year Elgin High made the finals in D2 and lost to rival Chambers 28-24.)

2010 Class D1 WPCC 45 Creighton 30. Great game that was freezing. Good turnout by both sets of fans. I was very happy for Coach Ridder that day.

2015 Class C1 Scotus 32 Norfolk Catholic 27. Back and forth game, studs at RB for both teams. NC was driving to score on their last possession but fumbled.

2016 Class B Elkhorn South 34 Skutt 32. I was at this game, cold and wet but what a finish.

Reactions: Timgacc
Doesn't it have to be the Auburn-Valentine game? Goes to overtime and Auburn wins 28-27. Valentine hit the upright on their PAT. Keep in mind the uprights at Memorial Stadium are 1' narrower than the uprights on a regulation HS field. I realize Auburn made it, but that game continues to 2OT if the game is played using regulation goal posts, like it should be.

Valentine actually hit the upright on about a 43 yd field goal at the end of regulation - so it cost them the game not once but potentially twice - was a great game!

Valentine actually hit the upright on about a 43 yd field goal at the end of regulation - so it cost them the game not once but potentially twice - was a great game!
I forgot about that, but you are absolutely right.

I remember the 2001 title game in C1 (I think it was 2001) between Pierce and Boone Central. Pierce kicker hit the upright I think three times in the game between field goal and extra point attempts. Boone Central won 9-7.

How 2009 C2 Ponca 14 Hartington CC 13? Scoreless going into the 4th, CC scores midway through the fourth and Ponca with about a minute left. Ponca scores first in OT and then after CC scores, they make one of the ballsiest coaching decisions this side of Tom Osborne and go for 2 only to come up short.

How 2009 C2 Ponca 14 Hartington CC 13? Scoreless going into the 4th, CC scores midway through the fourth and Ponca with about a minute left. Ponca scores first in OT and then after CC scores, they make one of the ballsiest coaching decisions this side of Tom Osborne and go for 2 only to come up short.

Was waiting for someone to bring this game up. Local rivals who played a close game weeks earlier in the regular season. Cedar's running back on that play, Chad Koch, was at the time the state's all time leading rusher in 11 man. Talk about stuffing the run!

Aquinas/Battle Creek 1994. Double overtime win for the Monarchs...Remember it like yesterday!!! I still shiver thinking about it...darn cold! Back to back state championships for Coach Mimick and his team.

A little bit of background on this state championship game...
  • Played at Battle Creek HS
  • Two all-state players for Battle Creek would go on to play meaningful minutes for the Huskers: RB Todd Uhlir and OL Matt Hoskinson
  • Battle Creek and Aquinas played two years earlier in the 1992 state championship game, again at Battle Creek HS. Battle Creek won 50-16. A noteworthy item about the 1992 Battle Creek team: average score of their playoff games that year: BC 53.25 Opp 13.0. That BC team was historically good.
  • In 1993 Battle Creek would lose to Norfolk Catholic in the state quarterfinals. Norfolk Catholic would go on to lose to Aquinas in the state championship game that year, 12-0.
  • In the 1994 state championship game, in the second overtime, Aquinas scored first and kicked the PAT. Battle Creek scored on their possession but went for two and the outright victory. The BC RB was stopped at the 1 yd line, ending the game and giving Aquinas its second consecutive state championship.
  • It's worth noting that many starters on both teams were also key, if not very young, pieces in that 1992 state championship game. Pretty cool that they would meet again as seniors.
  • In each of the next two seasons (1995 and 1996), Battle Creek would make it back to the state championship game, losing both games to Milford.
  • Meanwhile, Aquinas would lose in early rounds of the playoffs before winning the state championship again in 1997 against Imperial-Chase County.
  • Read the story here: https://huskerlandpreps.rivals.com/news/20-years-ago-shipley-saved-the-day

Does re-configured Seacrest still hold 10K? That's plenty big enough for the big classes.

I'd like to pitch in Hastings v Lincoln Southeast in 1993 as a great championship that came down to a goalline stand.

I think title games at Memorial are here to stay. I'd like to see sets of 2 and 3 semifinals played on field turf at the various college field so a guy could make a day of several semis.

I think title games at Memorial are here to stay. I'd like to see sets of 2 and 3 semifinals played on field turf at the various college field so a guy could make a day of several semis.

This. Once Chadron State completes their stadium project next year, most teams should be a reasonable distance from field turf. It would make it far easier for state wide broadcasting of semis this way. I know that as is Chadron is already wired for broadcast independently and NCN has affiliates close to state colleges that logistics of this shouldn't be an issue. Basically I'm jealous of Iowa always broadcasting their semis from the UniDome while I think our infrastructure in the state supports Nebraska doing the same.

Reactions: nenebskers
pretty sure nobody is going to Chadron for finals in football. second the battle creeks of the world were so good back in the day, I remember watching scott frost play there on a very frigid day and he was a stud but BC took it to them. secondly Alumi, at WSC they don't move the goalposts for the highschool games and they use the college hashes or that is what I have been told. Seacrest would be a great venue to play finals at. i'm outta here.

pretty sure nobody is going to Chadron for finals in football. second the battle creeks of the world were so good back in the day, I remember watching scott frost play there on a very frigid day and he was a stud but BC took it to them. secondly Alumi, at WSC they don't move the goalposts for the highschool games and they use the college hashes or that is what I have been told. Seacrest would be a great venue to play finals at. i'm outta here.

I'm talking semi's. Finals will probably never move from Memorial Stadium.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT