ADVERTISEMENT

Bryson Williams of Lincoln Southeast commits to Wisconsin.

northeastNebraska

All-State
Gold Member
Jan 8, 2008
Highway 30
Happy for him. It really sucks that Nebraska has to take a small class this year. It's also tough that he's going to a division rival. Hope it doesn't turn into Harrison Phillips 2.0.

At least Riley has been involved with him and haven't kept him in the dark. I truly believe they wanted him, but with getting Mapieu from York early and the switch to the 3-4. (I know Wisconsin runs the 3-4.) it just didn't seem to work.

Happy for him. It really sucks that Nebraska has to take a small class this year. It's also tough that he's going to a division rival. Hope it doesn't turn into Harrison Phillips 2.0.

At least Riley has been involved with him and haven't kept him in the dark. I truly believe they wanted him, but with getting Mapieu from York early and the switch to the 3-4. (I know Wisconsin runs the 3-4.) it just didn't seem to work.
Maybe he picked the program that has had more success over the two decades

Reactions: northeastNebraska
This is spot on. People in this state haven't figured out that Nebraska is no longer relevant on the national scene. We haven't played in a game that has had any impact on the national title picture since 2001 when we backed into the Rose Bowl (after letting Colorado run for miles on us) and then got slaughtered by Miami.

Nebraska has a nice program and will win 7-9 games every year. They might have a year where they win 10 or 11, but they will also have a year where they win 5 or 6. We will NEVER be relevant again. Our best recruiting pitch is the sellout streak, which is impressive, but kids these days would rather play in front of 100,000 + fans at night than at 11:00 in the morning.

Take a poll of all the HS football players in the state and see who their favorite college team is. My bet is close to 50% will not say Nebraska.

This is spot on. People in this state haven't figured out that Nebraska is no longer relevant on the national scene. We haven't played in a game that has had any impact on the national title picture since 2001 when we backed into the Rose Bowl (after letting Colorado run for miles on us) and then got slaughtered by Miami.

Nebraska has a nice program and will win 7-9 games every year. They might have a year where they win 10 or 11, but they will also have a year where they win 5 or 6. We will NEVER be relevant again. Our best recruiting pitch is the sellout streak, which is impressive, but kids these days would rather play in front of 100,000 + fans at night than at 11:00 in the morning.

Take a poll of all the HS football players in the state and see who their favorite college team is. My bet is close to 50% will not say Nebraska.

Nebraska no longer develops players like they use to, what made Nebraska so great was the 30 to 40 diamond in the rough players they took every year and 5 would become starters as 5th year seniors, now we think we need to recruit freshmen who can play and try to find starters, and dont tell me kids change, they have not that much, they will stay for 5 years over 60 to 70% still do, Nebraska just does nothing with them. I was at practices in the 80s and 90s and I watched the 5th string get as many reps as the first, with coaches working hard with every level. NOW go to practice and watch 50 or 60 kids stand and do nothing for 90% of the practice. They lost knowledge of where Nebraska is located and how many people live in the state, you better be damn good at building players if you want to compete in a state of only 1.8 million people for a title. That is what TO and Davaney was, great coaches who had systems set to develop players.

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
Actually Riley's staff does a good job of getting everyone reps. Especially in spring ball and early fall camp. Pelini's staff would have a lot of standing around.

I don't blame him for going to Wisconsin. Great school, great program, family can watch him quite a bit.

Actually Riley's staff does a good job of getting everyone reps. Especially in spring ball and early fall camp. Pelini's staff would have a lot of standing around.

I don't blame him for going to Wisconsin. Great school, great program, family can watch him quite a bit.
Rileys staff may do a better job than the last but it is not even half of what TO and BD did, Its a joke if you watched the others practice

I feel like the initial post was more of a "man it's too bad we couldn't even offer the guy a scholarship considering the number available" rather than "I can't believe he chose to take a scholarship to Wisconsin and not walk on at Nebraska...how dare he?!"

Rileys staff may do a better job than the last but it is not even half of what TO and BD did, Its a joke if you watched the others practice
I understand that but with how the NCAA restricts practice lengths now compared to how they did in the 70's/80's/90's isn't close.

I can tell you Riley would love to give his 4th string guys as many reps as first string, but you can't do it like you could 20 years ago. Not Riley or Nebraska's fault, it's the way college football is now.

I understand that but with how the NCAA restricts practice lengths now compared to how they did in the 70's/80's/90's isn't close.

I can tell you Riley would love to give his 4th string guys as many reps as first string, but you can't do it like you could 20 years ago. Not Riley or Nebraska's fault, it's the way college football is now.
Not true You can still rep as many times as you want to. Limits are only on contact, they do not groom players period

Are you just not aware of the actual NCAA Rule that limits the amount (hours) of on-field activity the football team may have during a given week?
fully aware, you have other coaches in groups working with different level of players, sometimes in a different location, go to an Ohio State practice or an Alabama practice, I have and the level of organization in practice for all players is much higher

Nebraska gets what it pays for, the head coach pay at Nebraska is not even close to a top 20 team pays. I just think Nebraska and a huge majority of its fans have lost touch with reality of greatness and what it takes, it is stuck in the 90s, pay wise, facility wise, recruiting wise and is more concerned with cashing that profit check at the end of the year, than putting money into the program. Do you still believe we have top 10 facilities ? One of the top 10 locker rooms ? one of the top 10 stadiums, one of the top 10 payes coaches, one of the top ten paid total towards assistant coaches ? Let me answer that for you NO, not any more, not even close. The only thing they have is a top 10 fan base and what does the university do to repay that fan base, They cash in the 11th highest profit margin in all the NCAA. How long before they turn that loyal fan base away also. It started with Harvey Pearlman and is still in play.

Last edited:
Reactions: NOPLCLKNEB30
Nebraska gets what it pays for, the head coach pay at Nebraska is not even close to a top 20 team pays. I just think Nebraska and a huge majority of its fans have lost touch with reality of greatness and what it takes, it is stuck in the 90s, pay wise, facility wise, recruiting wise and is more concerned with cashing that profit check at the end of the year, than putting money into the program. Do you still believe we have top 10 facilities ? One of the top 10 locker rooms ? one of the top 10 stadiums, one of the top 10 payes coaches, one of the top ten paid total towards assistant coaches ? Let me answer that for you NO, not any more, not even close. The only thing they have is a top 10 fan base and what does the university do to repay that fan base, They cash in the 11th highest profit margin in all the NCAA. How long before they turn that loyal fan base away also. It started with Harvey Pearlman and is still in play.

I won't fancy myself a Nebraska fan, because I am most definitely not, but to say they don't have a top 10 facilities is maybe true, maybe not, but what do you want them to do? Build brand new workout areas and locker rooms every 5 years? You can't do that. When they redid the workout area and the new locker rooms they were right there with anyone and that was only what, 10 years ago, some of it more recent than that? College athletics is an arms race and you can't just keep building brand new things every 5 years. What more could Nebraska add to it's locker rooms that would make it even better? Watch the video below. Hell this article from Fox Sports in October 2016 rated Nebraska's locker rooms #1. What more do you want from them?

Nebraska literally built a performance lab onto the stadium. Go ahead and count how many schools in the country have that to serve their athletic programs.

You want them to build a brand new stadium? It seems like every year they put out rankings of college football stadiums and Nebraska is always in the top 20. It holds top 15 in capacity. They're always adding onto it.

Pay for coaches could be improved but with how Bo left and the perception around the country with how that transpired, you weren't going to be able to go get one of the top candidates for that job. Then national feel was that Nebraska ran off Bo (partially true, but partially the program was suffering as a whole under him). What top 10 coaching prospect was going to come running into this job? The answer is nobody. But give old man Riley a chance to get some positive things going and build a better recruiting base (and if you think recruiting was better under Bo, we need to have a long hard talk) and then when he's ready to go off, the program could be in a position to land a top-tier coach who just left a job or a hot up-and-comer.

While Nebraska fans are by and large still clutching to the 90s (that we can agree on), you seem to be the one who is out of touch with where Nebraska's facilities rank and what reasonably can be achieved to improve those facilities. And yes, I have been outside of Nebraska and seen facilities.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I won't fancy myself a Nebraska fan, because I am most definitely not, but to say they don't have a top 10 facilities is maybe true, maybe not, but what do you want them to do? Build brand new workout areas and locker rooms every 5 years? You can't do that. When they redid the workout area and the new locker rooms they were right there with anyone and that was only what, 10 years ago, some of it more recent than that? College athletics is an arms race and you can't just keep building brand new things every 5 years. What more could Nebraska add to it's locker rooms that would make it even better? Watch the video below. Hell this article from Fox Sports in October 2016 rated Nebraska's locker rooms #1. What more do you want from them?

Nebraska literally built a performance lab onto the stadium. Go ahead and count how many schools in the country have that to serve their athletic programs.

You want them to build a brand new stadium? It seems like every year they put out rankings of college football stadiums and Nebraska is always in the top 20. It holds top 15 in capacity. They're always adding onto it.

Pay for coaches could be improved but with how Bo left and the perception around the country with how that transpired, you weren't going to be able to go get one of the top candidates for that job. Then national feel was that Nebraska ran off Bo (partially true, but partially the program was suffering as a whole under him). What top 10 coaching prospect was going to come running into this job? The answer is nobody. But give old man Riley a chance to get some positive things going and build a better recruiting base (and if you think recruiting was better under Bo, we need to have a long hard talk) and then when he's ready to go off, the program could be in a position to land a top-tier coach who just left a job or a hot up-and-comer.

While Nebraska fans are by and large still clutching to the 90s (that we can agree on), you seem to be the one who is out of touch with where Nebraska's facilities rank and what reasonably can be achieved to improve those facilities. And yes, I have been outside of Nebraska and seen facilities.

I have seen others and that is not a top 10 locker room, and when you make 35 million plus a year on football you can and should upgrade every 5 years and you are in a constant arms race, if you pause in the improvements at all, you will get pasted and if you want to be a top team from a state as small as Nebraska you better never pause the improvements and you better develop players

I have seen others and that is not a top 10 locker room, and when you make 35 million plus a year on football you can and should upgrade every 5 years and you are in a constant arms race, if you pause in the improvements at all, you will get pasted and if you want to be a top team from a state as small as Nebraska you better never pause the improvements and you better develop players

I was personally present when Nebraska hosted the Big 10 Conference Spring Athletic Compliance Meetings in 2014 and every single school said that Nebraska's facilities were second to none. Literally. Every one (Michigan and Ohio State included). So I'm sorry, but your statements are not substantiated by what I've heard from people at other schools in the conference.

Here is the link to the list of best locker rooms, according one guy at Fox Sports. (In my best Joe Dirt impression) You're gonna stand there and tell me...that after looking through those that Nebraska's locker rooms are not on par with the best in the nation?

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...dropping-college-football-locker-rooms-102016

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I really don't think facilities are holding Nebraska back from getting big time recruits. There are 4 huge flaws to coming to Nebraska to play football now (in my opinion).

1- The weather. This is out of our control, but it matters. There are less kids that are willing to go to a state with the temperature extremes that we have. Out of the kids that are willing, Nebraska now has competition (Oregon, Wisconsin, Ohio St, Michigan/Michigan State, Oklahoma, and several others). Nebraska used to have a pretty solid monopoly on kids that didn't care about climate.

2- Kids want to go to the NFL. Nebraska isn't putting guys in the league like they used to. We generally have 3 kids drafted, which is a decent amount, but it is nothing compared to the major college programs. As info, in the 2017 NFL draft the following teams produced more NFL draftees than Nebraska..... Villanova, Youngstown State (former Husker coach), Eastern Washington, Ohio (former Husker coach), Wyoming (former Husker coach), Western Kentucky, West Georgia, Northwestern. Nebraska had the same number of kids selected in the draft as Grambling State, Bucknell, Drake, Alabama State, Albany State, Chattanooga, Ashland College, Kutztown, Lamar, East Central Oklahoma.....the list goes on and on.

3- Nebraska plays far too many morning and early afternoon games. This is a double edged sword....the bulk of the season ticket holders are senior citizens (which leads me to point #4 in a minute). Generally speaking, those people don't like we play at 7:00 at night. Players and recruits would rather play at 7:00 at night on national TV. There are probably a dozen games on national TV at 11:00 every day (CBS, ABC, NBC, ESPN, ESPN 2, FSN, ESPN News, BTN, then all of the regional FSN channels, Altitude, maybe more). There are maybe 2-3 on at 7:00 at night. We don't get the exposure we once did. At the same time, it is probably better to play at 11:00 than 7:00 and get embarrassed on national TV like we consistently do against top tier teams (See Ohio State last year).

4- Nebraska has a great stadium and a loyal fan base. That can't be denied. That said, Nebraska is probably the quietest stadium that I have ever been in. Again, the biggest reason is because well over 50% of the crowd is over the age of 50 years old. These are the long time season ticket holders that keep the sellout streak alive. The student section is decent sized, but that makes up about 5% of the total attendance. There are literally thousands of fans that come into the stadium with a set of radio headphones on. Those people listen to the game on the radio while in the stadium and don't make a peep. We might as well seat 60,000 because that is about the max in terms of who actually cheers. This isn't just a Nebraska thing. This is true for Notre Dame, Michigan, and several other "traditional powerhouses" that are no longer relevant.

To be completely honest, I love what Riley is doing with recruits. I will gladly go 8-4 every year recruiting the type of guys we are recruiting. I can do without the Lawrence Phillips, Randy Gregory, and Suh's of the world. They are fantastic football players, but horrible human beings. Ever since Solich left we have lost a lot of credibility and respect among college fans nation wide. We've had two baboons as coaches....Callahan had his throat slashing episode and Pelini had his 50 tantrums a night plus the despicable recording about the administration. Riley is a high character guy. At least with him we will go back to being a high character program. Just my two cents.

I really don't think facilities are holding Nebraska back from getting big time recruits. There are 4 huge flaws to coming to Nebraska to play football now (in my opinion).

1- The weather. This is out of our control, but it matters. There are less kids that are willing to go to a state with the temperature extremes that we have. Out of the kids that are willing, Nebraska now has competition (Oregon, Wisconsin, Ohio St, Michigan/Michigan State, Oklahoma, and several others). Nebraska used to have a pretty solid monopoly on kids that didn't care about climate.

2- Kids want to go to the NFL. Nebraska isn't putting guys in the league like they used to. We generally have 3 kids drafted, which is a decent amount, but it is nothing compared to the major college programs. As info, in the 2017 NFL draft the following teams produced more NFL draftees than Nebraska..... Villanova, Youngstown State (former Husker coach), Eastern Washington, Ohio (former Husker coach), Wyoming (former Husker coach), Western Kentucky, West Georgia, Northwestern. Nebraska had the same number of kids selected in the draft as Grambling State, Bucknell, Drake, Alabama State, Albany State, Chattanooga, Ashland College, Kutztown, Lamar, East Central Oklahoma.....the list goes on and on.

3- Nebraska plays far too many morning and early afternoon games. This is a double edged sword....the bulk of the season ticket holders are senior citizens (which leads me to point #4 in a minute). Generally speaking, those people don't like we play at 7:00 at night. Players and recruits would rather play at 7:00 at night on national TV. There are probably a dozen games on national TV at 11:00 every day (CBS, ABC, NBC, ESPN, ESPN 2, FSN, ESPN News, BTN, then all of the regional FSN channels, Altitude, maybe more). There are maybe 2-3 on at 7:00 at night. We don't get the exposure we once did. At the same time, it is probably better to play at 11:00 than 7:00 and get embarrassed on national TV like we consistently do against top tier teams (See Ohio State last year).

4- Nebraska has a great stadium and a loyal fan base. That can't be denied. That said, Nebraska is probably the quietest stadium that I have ever been in. Again, the biggest reason is because well over 50% of the crowd is over the age of 50 years old. These are the long time season ticket holders that keep the sellout streak alive. The student section is decent sized, but that makes up about 5% of the total attendance. There are literally thousands of fans that come into the stadium with a set of radio headphones on. Those people listen to the game on the radio while in the stadium and don't make a peep. We might as well seat 60,000 because that is about the max in terms of who actually cheers. This isn't just a Nebraska thing. This is true for Notre Dame, Michigan, and several other "traditional powerhouses" that are no longer relevant.

To be completely honest, I love what Riley is doing with recruits. I will gladly go 8-4 every year recruiting the type of guys we are recruiting. I can do without the Lawrence Phillips, Randy Gregory, and Suh's of the world. They are fantastic football players, but horrible human beings. Ever since Solich left we have lost a lot of credibility and respect among college fans nation wide. We've had two baboons as coaches....Callahan had his throat slashing episode and Pelini had his 50 tantrums a night plus the despicable recording about the administration. Riley is a high character guy. At least with him we will go back to being a high character program. Just my two cents.
Then 8-4 and 9-3 is what you will get, and if thats what makes Nebraska great Then you got it.

I will eat crow and say your probably right its not facilities Because Texas has one of the best and Oregon has the best and that has not resulted in a slug of Championships and for Oregon a big fat ZERO

I still say Coach and most of all SYSTEM

ADVERTISEMENT