ADVERTISEMENT

Head Coaching Changes for 2017-18

Huskers783

Freshman
Feb 3, 2014
May be a bit early for this topic, but it is always interesting to see what changes take place across the state.

Anyone know of any retirements or early changes?

Here is a running list:
Class A:
Omaha Central

Class B:
South Sioux City

Class C1:
David City
Minden - Jeb Hatch
Wayne

Class C2:
Wood River
Wisner-Pilger

Last edited:
Greg Hansen at South Sioux City and Shannon Lovin at Minden both stepped down. I think both men will remain at their school, but not as a football coach.

Class A:
Omaha Central

Class B:
South Sioux City

Class C1:
David City
Minden
Wayne

Class C2:

Wood River

Its called work ethic in the weight room and being committed to get better. They obviously have not found that yet.

Reactions: Llama57
I haven't seen anything official in regards to Wayne looking for a coach.

Its called work ethic in the weight room and being committed to get better. They obviously have not found that yet.
Nope, that's not the case for Wayne in the weight room. I would lean towards what Northeast said, that Wayne athletes put emphasis on roundball & baseball.

Class A:
Omaha Central

Class B:
South Sioux City

Class C1:
David City
Minden
Wayne

Class C2:
Wood River
Wisner Pilger

Wisner-Pilger is open.
This is another job that is kind of strange. I grew up playing Wisner-Pilger, they were always solid in basketball. State tourney runs, 20 win seasons, etc. but football came around, 3-5 or 4-4, for what seemed like every year. From 2003-2012 they went 3-5 or 4-4 7 out the 10 seasons. They had two 2-6 seasons and one 5-3 season.

They had great athletes on the court, but just never put an emphasis on football.

This is another job that is kind of strange. I grew up playing Wisner-Pilger, they were always solid in basketball. State tourney runs, 20 win seasons, etc. but football came around, 3-5 or 4-4, for what seemed like every year. From 2003-2012 they went 3-5 or 4-4 7 out the 10 seasons. They had two 2-6 seasons and one 5-3 season.

They had great athletes on the court, but just never put an emphasis on football.
You just need to read what you're writing, there's no correlation to the two sports what so ever! They're totally different, in football you need to have a mental toughness, a fortitude about yourself to go out and have the desire to be tougher than the guy across from you and want to dominate them by putting them on their backside and having the will to do all that it takes to get to that point. It's about being physical!! The two sports just don't matchup! Two different people said it in your own posts, you just don't realize it. Read you posts again and think about it. Because you're a good basketball player doesn't make you a good football player!!

Sounds to me like there are some administrative challenges at Wood River. I can't speak knowledgeably about the situation, but that is the word on the street. It is unfortunate because Coach Fehringer is a terrific man and a great role model. I hope he lands another job.
what's the story with Wood River?

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
You just need to read what you're writing, there's no correlation to the two sports what so ever! They're totally different, in football you need to have a mental toughness, a fortitude about yourself to go out and have the desire to be tougher than the guy across from you and want to dominate them by putting them on their backside and having the will to do all that it takes to get to that point. It's about being physical!! The two sports just don't matchup! Two different people said it in your own posts, you just don't realize it. Read you posts again and think about it. Because you're a good basketball player doesn't make you a good football player!!

I understand the point you are making, but I also understand what Northeast is saying.

If you look at the schools that do well in both Football AND Basketball, many of the players are the same kids. Battle Creek, High Plains, Humphrey SF, Stanton, Boone Central, and this list goes on and on. Sure there may be football players that choose to wrestle rather than play basketball, but there are certainly many that do.

As I said before, I get your point. However, I also get his point.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
In some schools there is a correlation, some schools have bball kids and football kids. Football participation is down across the country. Look at a school like elmwood murdock this year, many of their bball athletes do not play football. Also, basketball is a physical sport that you have to dominate your opponent as well. This argument goes either way, many all state football players also play basketball and are not the star players. I think the argument was why are schools like wisner pilger successful at bball and not football, unless you are at the school it is hard to say. Coaching and consistency has a lot to do with success and they have had consistency in bball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT