ADVERTISEMENT

Head Coaching Changes for 2017-18

I apologize because this is old news but Paxton's Mike Morland retired after the season. AD Scott Jorgensen is the new head coach

Last edited:
South Sioux has a private option right across the river
David city same
wayne could not tell you
Minden dropping enrollment and just do not have the athletes to compete at C1
I know this is several months after the post I'm replying to was made, but in regards to Minden, while enrollment being down in the 160s compared to the 180s-190s range that it was at for years is a slight factor, I think it's more so having the athletes to compete with the schedule they usually face. Being close to Kearney, Hastings, and Grand Island usually means Minden has had to face the likes of Kearney Catholic, Adams Central, and/or St. Cecilia, in addition to tough Southwest Conference foes like Cozad, Gothenburg, and lately Ogallala and Broken Bow. I remember my freshman year of high school (2002) when our varsity team went 2-6 - one of those two wins being over C1 runners-up Gothenburg - and still made the playoffs, due in large part to having to face KC, AC, STC, & GICC in districts who all had great teams. They are just about done building a new high school which should help as far as weight room facilities go, but in a small town like Minden competing against the competition week in and week out like they usually have to, it is a tough job to be consistently successful at, which makes it more impressive that Sam Dunn hung around as head coach for over a decade despite a few rocky seasons.

I know this is several months after the post I'm replying to was made, but in regards to Minden, while enrollment being down in the 160s compared to the 180s-190s range that it was at for years is a slight factor, I think it's more so having the athletes to compete with the schedule they usually face. Being close to Kearney, Hastings, and Grand Island usually means Minden has had to face the likes of Kearney Catholic, Adams Central, and/or St. Cecilia, in addition to tough Southwest Conference foes like Cozad, Gothenburg, and lately Ogallala and Broken Bow. I remember my freshman year of high school (2002) when our varsity team went 2-6 - one of those two wins being over C1 runners-up Gothenburg - and still made the playoffs, due in large part to having to face KC, AC, STC, & GICC in districts who all had great teams. They are just about done building a new high school which should help as far as weight room facilities go, but in a small town like Minden competing against the competition week in and week out like they usually have to, it is a tough job to be consistently successful at, which makes it more impressive that Sam Dunn hung around as head coach for over a decade despite a few rocky seasons.
Interesting breakdown. Do you feel like Minden benefits from getting kids from surround areas? (Hastings/Kearney/Holdrege) or do they lose them to those bigger schools and Axtell?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT