ADVERTISEMENT

Lifting weights the day of a basketball game

If a basketball player lifts weights the day of a game, will it "throw off" their shot?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

4xAllConference

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2018
Does lifting weights the day of a basketball game "throw off" a players shot? Or are they fine to lift yet? If you vote yes, please provide facts and legit scientific proof that it does indeed "throw off" their shot.

It really depends on the kids lifting program. If a kid doesn’t lift regularly and then all the sudden starts lifting it will definitely alter their shot.
Most elite trainers will recommend lifting in season but to only maintain not for gains.

Should be low volume and high intensity to get the central nervous system ready for game speeds. As Hardwoodbeaver said, if they haven't lifted consistently and decide to on gameday, it might throw them off simply because they weren't consistent. If they've been lifting consistently throughout the year, a well put together gameday lift will only affect them positively. In-Season strength gains often become greater because volume is lower and kids can put more weight on the bar. Volume is what causes soreness more often than the amount of weight on the bar. It's the total load that a strength & conditioning coach should be concerned about. For example, if a kid is benching 200 lbs for 3 sets of 3 (200 x 9 = 1800 lbs) vs. 150 lbs for 4 sets of 8 (150 x 32 = 4800 lbs.) Also would add that clean variations often make the best primary lift for a gameday because of the full-body nature of the lift. Heavy squats or heavy shoulder work is not a smart gameday lift. Band work suffices for those muscle groups.

It really depends on the kids lifting program. If a kid doesn’t lift regularly and then all the sudden starts lifting it will definitely alter their shot.
Most elite trainers will recommend lifting in season but to only maintain not for gains.
Harwood nails it for the most part! Year round lifting program and you're fine. I always laugh when high schoolers don't think they should lift on game day....

If you are a baseball, softball, volleyball, or basketball player.....you'd never be lifting! Yet Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, ect all work out on game day. Closer to home....Alex Gordon was known for lifting the morning of games...and he often was bench pressing fairly heavy weight reps. I've yet to see a professional fired because they lifted on game day and didn't perform....

Harwood nails it for the most part! Year round lifting program and you're fine. I always laugh when high schoolers don't think they should lift on game day....

If you are a baseball, softball, volleyball, or basketball player.....you'd never be lifting! Yet Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, ect all work out on game day. Closer to home....Alex Gordon was known for lifting the morning of games...and he often was bench pressing fairly heavy weight reps. I've yet to see a professional fired because they lifted on game day and didn't perform....
Thank you all just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy or the only one that has kids say they aren't supposed to lift on a game day for basketball. I'm still fairly young in the profession so still trying to get my footing.

Currently right now we're lifting 5 days a week, with Friday being a more "explosive" and plyometric day where we do jump rope, box jumps, core, cleans, snatch, or jerks. I've seen great results from it so far with kids actually gaining anywhere from 30-60 pounds towards their maxes currently. Just wanted some clarification/reassurance that they'd be just fine lifting yet.

Last edited:
Thank you all just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy or the only one that has kids say they aren't supposed to lift on a game day for basketball. I'm still fairly young in the profession so still trying to get my footing.

Currently right now we're lifting 5 days a week, with Friday being a more "explosive" and plyometric day where we do jump rope, box jumps, core, cleans, snatch, or jerks. I've seen great results from it so far with kids actually gaining anywhere from 30-60 pounds towards their maxes currently. Just wanted some clarification/reassurance that they'd be just fine lifting yet.

Reactions: 4xAllConference
Just a word of caution, be sure to utilize low training days if you're lifting 5 days/week. As tireman said, priming the nervous system is a great way to get ready for a game- but CNS fatigue is a very real thing and is often the result of overtraining. Keep the volume low to moderate and utilize a training split that gives them a reprieve from heavy compound movements 1-2 times/week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT