ADVERTISEMENT

Football Lincoln Northwest cancels remainder of varsity season

Alum-Ni

All-State
Gold Member
Aug 29, 2004

Citing a high number of injuries, Lincoln Northwest has decided to cancel the remainder of its varsity contests for the 2022 season.

60 students remain on the roster, 36 are freshmen, 12 are sophomores and 12 are juniors. Only very few of the players have any varsity experience and many have never played organized football prior to this year.

The school will continue to play JV, reserve and freshman games this fall.

Why play at all four levels to start? If the roster is limited in numbers and experience and you must start with a varsity team, be selective at the lower levels so players can get practice for experience and game reps without being overworked.

Reactions: HighPlainsCoach
Why play at all four levels to start? If the roster is limited in numbers and experience and you must start with a varsity team, be selective at the lower levels so players can get practice for experience and game reps without being overworked.
agree this is a blunder and must be a young coach and AD to believe this would ever work. This article basically reads: we knew we had guys will no experience and were going to be mostly freshmen but we chose to risk our players anyways

I am not certain exactly how this works, but I believe the NSAA requires schools to participate at the Varsity Level. Schools are allowed to cancel games, but they must start as a Varsity program.

I say this because I know of situations in which schools attempted to drop their Varsity schedule and play only JV and the proposal was rejected by the NSAA. The goal was to not hinder the opponents by cancelling, which was the eventual outcome.

I would be interested in hearing from someone that understands this better than I do.

Reactions: saluno22
The NSAA doesn't require varsity participation. They ask schools to declare sports in which they plan to play varsity. Football has the earliest declaration in order to prepare the two-year schedules. As I understand it, the new schools felt pressure to compete at the varsity level in order to get kids to choose to change schools. It was felt that parents and players (even 9-10 graders) would not switch schools to play JV-Soph-9 football. I don't agree, but after I expressed my belief that they would not play varsity, I was told this was the main reason they would. Of course, all three chose to play varsity, and two are already forfeiting all games. It seems Westview will make it through the season? Will it affect Standing Bear and Gretna East decisions next year?

The NSAA doesn't require varsity participation. They ask schools to declare sports in which they plan to play varsity. Football has the earliest declaration in order to prepare the two-year schedules. As I understand it, the new schools felt pressure to compete at the varsity level in order to get kids to choose to change schools. It was felt that parents and players (even 9-10 graders) would not switch schools to play JV-Soph-9 football. I don't agree, but after I expressed my belief that they would not play varsity, I was told this was the main reason they would. Of course, all three chose to play varsity, and two are already forfeiting all games. It seems Westview will make it through the season? Will it affect Standing Bear and Gretna East decisions next year?
You would hope it would change their decision but who knows again hard to make sure people think of as much as possible when there is not consequence if they do not. I wish they forfeiting team had to pay officials and the other school 2k for loss of game but this wont happen because its has consequences

Reactions: HighPlainsCoach
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT