ADVERTISEMENT

Football Maxwell High School

northeastNebraska

All-State
Gold Member
Jan 8, 2008
Highway 30
So I just saw this in the fall district assignments thread. Maxwell is C2 this year in volleyball, but D2 in football. I don't think I've ever seen that before. Obviously I've seen C2/D1 or D1/D2 but not skipping a class.

What's the deal with the Wildcats? I can't believe they would participate in C2 in any sport anymore. Unless they've got a large influx of kids the last two years in High school.

So I just saw this in the fall district assignments thread. Maxwell is C2 this year in volleyball, but D2 in football. I don't think I've ever seen that before. Obviously I've seen C2/D1 or D1/D2 but not skipping a class.

What's the deal with the Wildcats? I can't believe they would participate in C2 in any sport anymore. Unless they've got a large influx of kids the last two years in High school.

Football's on a two year cycle, everything else is one year. Their count for football from last year was 63. Their count this year for volleyball is 77. If football was a one year cycle, I would suspect that they would not be D2 this year.

I think the NSAA only does the midcycle count/correction in football for D1 schools that were above the cutoff in year one. That way, if their numbers dip, they can be eligible in year two for the playoffs.

Edit: Forgot to add, I would assume this means they lost a small class from the 3-class count and added a much larger one. Or, like you said, a lot of options/move-ins from one year to the next.

Should also add, that the football count was actually counted two years ago, and this year's volleyball count was actually from the year prior. They are counts one year apart from each other, but go into effect the year after the count took place.

Last edited:
I looked at the numbers and they were one student short in 2016 from being D-1 in footbaII and in student long in 2017 from being D-1 in VoIIeybaII. So it was just one of those quirky things that happens once in a while.

I looked at the numbers and they were one student short in 2016 from being D-1 in footbaII and in student long in 2017 from being D-1 in VoIIeybaII. So it was just one of those quirky things that happens once in a while.
D2 football enrollment top number will keep rising as long as the let teams play 8-man that do not meet the enrollment requirements , this is why every state in the USA expect Nebraska does not allow it. D2 will soon be as high as 68 or 70 I am betting

Reactions: northeastNebraska
D2 football enrollment top number will keep rising as long as the let teams play 8-man that do not meet the enrollment requirements , this is why every state in the USA expect Nebraska does not allow it. D2 will soon be as high as 68 or 70 I am betting
That would be ridiculous. The NSAA might as well make just one Class D.

I'm not sure if this is planned or supposed, but what I've been hearing is the boy # cutoff for 8 man, could be 47, which translates to 63 boys in high school. To me that is way, way too high, but that is besides the point. The cut-off for 6 man could be 27. Which equals 36 boys in high school.

I'm not sure if this is planned or supposed, but what I've been hearing is the boy # cutoff for 8 man, could be 47, which translates to 63 boys in high school. To me that is way, way too high, but that is besides the point. The cut-off for 6 man could be 27. Which equals 36 boys in high school.
You think way to many but in the USA it is still the second lowest The classes are plenty tight and way closer than most all States

ADVERTISEMENT