ADVERTISEMENT

Native Schools

nenebskers

All-Conference
Oct 18, 2013
I'm sure most of you don't care but I noticed Omaha Nation girls team is 8-0 and playing for the championship game in the Lakota tournament in Rapid City today. Their schedule thus far hasn't been great. Are they legit or just a benefactor of a weak schedule? It's been a long time since any native girl's team has had success in any sport. It feels that Wingett and the Bago boys success has bled down into the other schools and some of these kids are starting to see that they can be successful too. I remember Santee boys basketball having one of their best seasons in history last year. Living in NE Nebraska and having competed against the native schools growing up Im glad to see these schools having some success. For many many years it was a whole different story.

Also, I was a little surprised to see the Bago boys ranked as high as they were preseason but they look to be playing great thus far. Just not sure if they are quite a top team in C1 this year. Thoughts?

Reactions: northeastNebraska
I think Bago is very good this year. Instead of having Mr. Wingett do all the work, the workload is fairly spread out, but they still have a heck of a player in D'von LaPointe who can step up and knock down shots in crunch time.

Reactions: ImN
I believe the Omaha Nation girls lost in the first round to Crow Creek. They are certainly playing better than they have been in years past. Winnebago lost one of the leading scorers in state history and not common to lose a player like that and keep on rolling. I think D'Von LaPointe is one of the best guards in the state regardless of class. Yeah, hype train. Also, a lot will tell from the Elkhorn tournament in how good they are. They probably have to get past Ponca on the first of a number of encounters this year and how they play would be a good indicator of if they are legit. My $$ is on legit.

Wasn't one of the native girls teams just a win away from the state tournament just a couple years back?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT