ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska high school stories/teams you'd love to see in a documentary?

northeastNebraska

All-State
Gold Member
Jan 8, 2008
Highway 30
Simliar to the ESPN 30 for 30 films. What stories would you love to see told? I'd love to hear some ideas, here are some of mine.

-The Howells Dynasty, 5 state titles in a row (2000-2005, 76-2 in a six year run) and 9 titles in 11 years. How did it start? Before 1999 the last time Howells had been to the playoffs was 1986.

-Highway 91 football. The football played in a 60 mile stretch was something remarkable. Dodge, Howells, Humphrey St. Francis, Lindsay Holy Family and Boone Central. How they dominated and are some of the most legendary programs in the state of Nebraska.

-The Wahoo basketball dynasty the early 90's that won 114 straight games.

What are some of your memories you'd love to see documented?

A history of Lincoln High athletics . Until the 60' s. there wasn't a team or program that compared.

A history of Omaha Tech sports.

A history of Boystown sports.

"-Highway 91 football. The football played in a 60 mile stretch was
something remarkable. Dodge, Howells, Humphrey St. Francis, Lindsay Holy
Family and Boone Central. How they dominated and are some of the most
legendary programs in the state of Nebraska."

Take out Boone Central simply because the Cardinals don't play those teams. All those other schools are in the same conference and THAT is remarkable football.

I like the Highway 91 post.

Some other Nebraska HS sports documentarys that might be fun:

Creighton Prep Baseball going back to Rex Barney in 1941.

Omaha Westside Swimming

Lincoln Northeast Basketball going back to the first year in 43.

McCook Football since 1990.

The Wahoo / Mick Anderson story.

Howells dynasty and the move up in class.

A documentary on the success of Kearney Track. Actually could be the most fun.

One on the fabled Jolly Green Giants basketball team with Chuck Jura and crew in 1968.

Just some thoughts.

Millard North

2005 - Third highest all time rushing average per game in high school football history and state championship.

2012 - Undefeated state champion. Every team they faced made the playoffs. Classic games in the state championship against Omaha North and a playoff win over Millard South.

A cool one for me would be the story about the 2001 Boone Central State Championship team. The 1st year of a merger that caused a huge rift in the 2 communities of Albion and Petersburg. The two towns basically came together with that team on the way to a state title in one of the best state championship games I've ever witnessed.

Originally posted by Fletch314:
A cool one for me would be the story about the 2001 Boone Central State Championship team. The 1st year of a merger that caused a huge rift in the 2 communities of Albion and Petersburg. The two towns basically came together with that team on the way to a state title in one of the best state championship games I've ever witnessed.
Love this idea Fletch and all the other ones. Keep them coming!

This is what I would pay to see:
Skutt Wrestling History (there's actually a book on the subject)
Ron Mimick and the Aquinas Monarchs Football
Chris Paulsen and Bergan Knight Basketball

Reactions: rmhixson
Alunm-Ni. Can't wait.

A couple other docs worth seeing:

One on the Grand Island 47 and 48 Football teams with Reynolds. Still in some corners considered the greatest back to back state champ teams . Interesting considering North was second both years and are setting up for a historic run with some huge road blocks in the way . One being no other than ...Grand Island.

A story I heard often as a kid about a team from Naponee near the Harlan County res. In the early forties all 9 boys played on a team that old timers said was the best in Nebraska at the end of the State Tourney. The Tourney of course was played 4 games at a time cross court at the Coliseum then allowing Class A guys to watch lower classes play at the same time.

A doc on Mike McGee , Nebraska's most exciting player who still is the second leading scorer in Michigan history, a two time All Big Ten Capt. And owner of 2 world championship rings from the Lakers. Best known to me as scoring 40 plus in his first Laker start. Coached for some years in China. Now home in Omaha.

Something on Elkhorn. I'd be hard pressed to believe that there is a better overall program in the state of Nebraska. They made the hardest transition in high school football in our state, going from B to A, a few years back and went the playoffs one year and the semis the next, losing to eventual state champion Millard South. Elkhorn doesn't change what they do...it is still smash mouth football out of the I formation with a physical and discipline defense. What is amazing is that Elkhorn runs a completely new set of guys on offense every other series... They build depth. Coach Wortman and Coach Bacus are two of the games greatest gentlemen. Coach Wortman has spent 30+ years at Elkhorn, has more wins than any other class B coach (and with a win on Friday ties Jaworski I think, yet with a far better winning percentage).

How about something on the young ladies that play High School Football. It would be nice to see something on there efforts. Yet there might not be to many in the state that played, but if memory serves me correctly I believe Sargent had one on their team when they played Bruning/Davenport in the state championship game in 2005. Also on The Drive on ESPN 590 they were talking about Yutan Hight School Football team. It was their Homecoming and of course the King was a member on the Football team, but the Queen was also a member of the Football team !!

On the run of great athletes that came out of Nebraska in one generation - Gale Sayers, Bob Gibson, Marlon Briscoe and Bob Boozer and how they paved the way for many more to come like Johnny Rodgers.

It has to be that amazing, but forgotten run that Omaha Northwest had back in all athletics back in the early 80's . From the mythical National Championship in baseball , to a State Championship in basketball in 85, to a 28 -5 three year run in football from 81 to 84, kids today have no idea that Northwest once had a pretty amazing run across the board in most of it's athletic programs. It is truly a forgotten fact except for those of us that were there.
3dsmile.r191677.gif

And in the midst of those legends was the great 4 Norsemen backfield of the 61 Champs. Churchich,Taylor, Miller., & Davis. (Rick). If you want to mention Boozer add on a couple years and include the great Wally Andrezunas from Prep, Creighton and The Cinncinati Royals with the Big O.

The talent in Omaha was so through the roof in a 4 year period . Jackie Brandt from Benson starting for Baltimore, Siebler from North in rotation for the Senators.

Funny that I recall all this. I was 8 to 11 years old. But our Dads took us to all these contests. It was what you did on Fridays.

How about one featuring the volleyball dominance, and rivalry, between Columbus Scotus' John Petersen and Grand Island Central Catholic's Sharon Zavala?

Don't forget about Grant athletics in the 80-90's. You could even throw Cambridge (90-00's) in there. If you could get coach Larry Pritchett and Dan Keyser to give some insight it would be worth watching.

Grant was awesome. Before and after Jackman . Cambridge was not only great in those years it was and is a beautiful town to drive thru. Ed Thompson was just one of so many good ones out of Cambridge.

Grant had some great teams in football and basketball. Cambridge with Ed Thompson at QB was a lot of fun to watch as well.

Hildreth had a guy by the name of Glenwood Einspahr who won the State Class C Track meet by himself in the 50's. He also is on list in the boys State Basketball program for most points in a career at the tournament.
Crale Bauer from Hildreth was on top of that list at one time.

I believe this same guy went to teach in Creighton. I know him well. great guy if in fact it is the same fella I know.hell it can't be but it could be his dad,

Thanks for that link, Sports10. What a great read!

A 30 for 30-type segment on Ogallala hoops would be cool. Boys snap Wahoo's 114-game win streak; girls break the South Sioux City stranglehold on Class B a few years later. I was at both games; doesn't seem that long ago, but it is!

I was at the 92 game against Wahoo. Sure was a lot of fun watching that game. Etz had the kids ready to play that night, and they were a fun group to watch. Missed the girls game in 99 though. Two of my favorite people in the world are Coach Etz and Coach Cerny.

This region would definitely make for an interesting area for a documentary. Spalding public consolidates with Cedar Rapids to be Riverside. Cedar Rapids was with Greeley/Wolbach as Cedar Valley, however the consolidation that reulted was Greeley-Wolbach/North Loup-Scotia to become Central Valley. Spalding Academy broke off to be independent. In the end the consolidations resulted in 3 different teams none of whom played with each other they year previously.

Prior to tonight Academy and Riverside were undefeated both after the two teams combined had 3 wins last year. Most likely 2 of the 3 teams will make it to the playoffs and my gut says at least 1 of the two teams will make it to the 6 man finals. Granted some would say it is only 6 man but if you want an interesting documentary I think it would deserve consideration. Many different routes you could go with this particular group of teams- effects the consolidation has a team a town a group of towns, the dynamics of the teams when old teammates played each other the emotions. It could get more interesting as playoffs ensue but I think you can see my point.

How about Hastings St Cecilia. They have not had a losing season since 1989, have made the playoffs for 20 some odd straight years and also Duncan field. I am also guessing they may be the only school in the state with an 800 win volleyball coach and a 300 win football coach.

we are forgetting Bob Schnitler and his battle creek football and girls basketball teams and you might want to throw in jeff bellar and the Norfolk Catholic knights. I know I spelled bob's name wrong but it is early in the morning.

Maybe something on coach Ken Cook. 656-210 combined record in girls and boys basketball, with 5 state championships. The most wins by any coach in the state. 260-94-3 in football with another 3 state championships. And just for good measure he had two runner-up teams in track. The guy can just flat out coach.

Maybe something on coach Ken Cook. 656-210 combined record in girls and boys basketball, with 5 state championships. The most wins by any coach in the state. 260-94-3 in football with another 3 state championships. And just for good measure he had two runner-up teams in track. The guy can just flat out coach.

Most wins by any coach? John Miller may have a different opinion. (709-143) But then again, he may not. He's a pretty modest guy.
The NE HS Hall needs to update their website.

Sorry I could be off. I couldn't remember exactly how many he had so I looked him up on the Nebraska high school hall of fame website and that is what they had to say. Either way, both are incredible coaches!

Lexington footbaII team in 1959 I beIieve. Their defense aIIowed 6 points the entire year. Their roster incIuded an NFL HaII of Famer (Mick TingeIhoff) and a famous defensive coordinator (Monte Kiffin).

I think one on Ewing would be interesting. How they enjoyed a lot of success throughout the years with football, volleyball, basketball girls and boys, golf, track, and even fine arts and speech. In the early 2000s the girls basketball team had one of the longest losing steaks in the state and fast forward a few years and they win 3 state titles in a row. How successful the volleyball team was with future college players on its roster. Or how the boys basketball team from 2000-2010 AVERAGED 21 wins a season I do believe. The magical 2006 season rivalry with Spencer Naper. The football championship in 2008 where they blew out HSF in a game they probably weren't even picked to win. The 3 state golf championships. The individual golf, track, speech medalist over the years. I could go on and on... Just step into the gym and see all the banners for yourself. It seems like 2001-2010 was a darn good time to be affiliated with Ewing in any sport. Think about all of the athletes that have gone on to do sports in college from a town of less than 400 now, it's amazing the talent that has gone through that town. Just some quick names that come to mind, Tomjack, Schueth, Jorgensen, Regan, multiple Kaczors and Thramers, Wright, Switzer, and another Schueth and Thramer on the girls. Wow!! And look at it now, low enrollment, hasn't had it's own football team in what??? 8 years? And now, it's looking at a possible consolidation. I think it'd make for a great documentary.

ADVERTISEMENT