ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball New Basketball Postseason Needed

I like how they are doing Class C volleyball now. It's a lot better system than we have in basketball right now.

Last edited:
This isn't about Little Jimmy getting a state t-shirt. This is about improving the quality of competition in Lincoln, and if you're against that, well then you're just ignorant. Please do try to tell me how you'd rather watch Wahoo destroy Ogallala than watch Wahoo vs. a way more competitive team.

You are obviously from O'Neil!

You are obviously from O'Neil!
I really think if you are not for seeding 1 to 32 playing two games at neutral sites, thats only two games to possible travel far(possible) then you are from an area or been on a team that got to go to state because everyone in your area sucked so arguing with you is pointless. This would make fun much like the NCAA tourney, High school Basketball could have its own march madness

I believe that the current system has flaws but seems like people are assuming that the top seeds would automatically win and the top 8 teams would win and advance to state. Every year there are upsets in the college conference tournaments and we see teams that get into the NCAA tourney with records under .500. And the team that dominated that same conference during the regular season loses and stays home.
Two things to remember:
1) Every process or system will be considered flawed when it doesn't work to any one persons viewpoint.
2) Until administrators decide that the current system needs reworked nothing will be done.

Reactions: nenebskers
I believe that the current system has flaws but seems like people are assuming that the top seeds would automatically win and the top 8 teams would win and advance to state. Every year there are upsets in the college conference tournaments and we see teams that get into the NCAA tourney with records under .500. And the team that dominated that same conference during the regular season loses and stays home.
Two things to remember:
1) Every process or system will be considered flawed when it doesn't work to any one persons viewpoint.
2) Until administrators decide that the current system needs reworked nothing will be done.
I completely agree that upsets will occur but when match ups occur where a team only beats one team with a better than 600% winn percentage to get in, then it has major flaws and every year a team gets to state playing NO ONE, 32 seeded bracket, gives all same chance

Can we all just get over the fact that this(clearly) is not about who gets t-shirts? I went to state multiple years in multiple sports back in the day. The t-shirt wasn't the exciting part then, and I can bet that it isn't the exciting part for kids now.

T-shirts are a metaphor for making it to state, we're aren't talking about literally getting t-shirts.

Then find an actual argument other than continuously having to say who gets a first-round loser t-shirt. It is like when conservatives don't have anything contribute so they have to keep saying snowflake and libtard enough times to make it seem like they've said anything.

Reactions: orafino
Then find an actual argument other than continuously having to say who gets a first-round loser t-shirt. It is like when conservatives don't have anything contribute so they have to keep saying snowflake and libtard enough times to make it seem like they've said anything.
1 to 32 seed would be very exciting and add more to the tourney and give every team a fair shot, or we can keep riding this same horse over and over again

Take a deep breath. This is not even remotely related to politics, and like I just said, it's not an argument over t-shirts. It's an argument over a new post-season system in Nebraska High School basketball, where t-shirt is "code" for making it to state....that clear enough for ya?

Take a deep breath. This is not even remotely related to politics, and like I just said, it's not an argument over t-shirts. It's an argument over a new post-season system in Nebraska High School basketball, where t-shirt is "code" for making it to state....that clear enough for ya?
yes new format and new opinions, in which I will express in my way and opinion and you will in you way, deep breath its about what I want it about to say HOW I want to say : )

This isn't about Little Jimmy getting a state t-shirt. This is about improving the quality of competition in Lincoln, and if you're against that, well then you're just ignorant. Please do try to tell me how you'd rather watch Wahoo destroy Ogallala than watch Wahoo vs. a way more competitive team.
That's EXACTLY what this is about. Or a certificate for a scrapbook. Or Mumshy and Dadsy not having to admit their kids aren't quite the prodigies that they claim on Facebook. All that AND a healthy does of liberal envy. "If we just had THEIR district...." Wah. I could care less if Wahoo beats Ogallala by 25 or if they beat ANY team that didn't make it by 18. Meh. Everybody is there that actually deserves it, and if 1 or 2 are there that don't? I'm totally good with it because we are avoiding a system that's bad for kids, schools, and parents.

Reactions: sports10
I wouldn't say calling for fairness to be "poor me, give to me, I should get a ribbon also". Do you think the B1G basketball tournament should be set up based on geography first with no regard to team records? What about the NCAA tournament?

The people, like myself, calling for changes don't want everyone to get an award for participating but believe that the best teams should get to Lincoln. That doesn't always happen when certain subdistrict of 5 schools each season have 3 of the top 10 teams in the state. The entirely geography based postseason hurts what could be an even better product in Lincoln.

If the regular season doesn't matter then why not just start subdistricts in January so we can get to Track/Baseball/Golf sooner?
Why not? The Big 10 football tournament is set up EXACTLY that way. So was the NCAA mens tournament. Until the massive TV deals made that unnecesary. Look at the seeding criteria for the non-revenue sports today. Keep in mind too, that a big difference exists between 22 year olds with massive academic support getting on a charter or flying first class for 3 hours than 17 year olds rattling along in a yellow school bus for 5. The BEST teams always get to Lincoln. Do decent teams get left out? Sure. Does a team or two not AS good make it? Sometimes. But the BEST always make it and that can't be argued. The hard thing I guess is admitting for some that good isn't the same as best.

Reactions: viewfromthebooth
That's EXACTLY what this is about. Or a certificate for a scrapbook. Or Mumshy and Dadsy not having to admit their kids aren't quite the prodigies that they claim on Facebook. All that AND a healthy does of liberal envy. "If we just had THEIR district...." Wah. I could care less if Wahoo beats Ogallala by 25 or if they beat ANY team that didn't make it by 18. Meh. Everybody is there that actually deserves it, and if 1 or 2 are there that don't? I'm totally good with it because we are avoiding a system that's bad for kids, schools, and parents.
Wow, you're angry, and that's ok. Change usually causes a feeling of discomfort that can trigger angry reactions....
I believe the original discussion was attempting to get 8 competitive/deserving teams to Lincoln. Not about t-shirts, liberals, parents, scrapbooks, or whatever. Cripes, I come to sites like this to talk about sports. Not get political agendas thrown down my throat. Please don't take this place away from me, it's one of the few places that there appears to be civil discussions. Please don't morph this place so it's like our society where people can't ever find any middle ground that they will even attempt to agree on or compromise to make things better.

Reactions: Bombers06
ONLY 1 or 2 teams OMG you mean only 25% of the field thats close enough for your liberal let my kid win please cry baby self

Wow, you're angry, and that's ok. Change usually causes a feeling of discomfort that can trigger angry reactions....
I believe the original discussion was attempting to get 8 competitive/deserving teams to Lincoln. Not about t-shirts, liberals, parents, scrapbooks, or whatever. Cripes, I come to sites like this to talk about sports. Not get political agendas thrown down my throat. Please don't take this place away from me, it's one of the few places that there appears to be civil discussions. Please don't morph this place so it's like our society where people can't ever find any middle ground that they will even attempt to agree on or compromise to make things better.
How about this compromise the 8 district champs and the next best 8 wildcard teams seed a tourney for 16 teams One game at neutral sites and then rest at Lincoln, NOW you only have to travel one game why not that what now would be wrong, is one game to much lets hear it

If you think that is what it's really about... I should handle your investments. Ultimately, what it really comes down to is simple. Somebody thinks "my kid got screwed", and seething they demand that every single school, family, and kid gets inconvenienced just so they can feel vindicated as parents, imagine that their kids life is somehow fulfilled, and yes...getting the first round loser T shirt. I'm still waiting for the Championship Team that didn't make it to be identified. Contrary to what anyone tries to tell you, the system was never, EVER intended to get the 8 MOST deserving teams to state. But, it's always worked (AT least in the wild card era) to get THE BEST 4 or 5 teams to Lincoln. Are there girls teams to feel they should be there instead of Pierce and Hartington CC? Boys teams instead of Ogallala and Cody-Kilgore? No doubt. And I'm sure there are a couple more examples. So what? Getting waxed by a slightly smaller margin, maybe, maybe larger, is hardly a thing of merit in my book. We, as adults, have done this to this generation. We've lost the love of competing for the sake of competition. There is no playing just for the love of sports. There is no playing JUST for the love of sports. There HAS to be some reward, some acknowledgement, some external affirmation. Look a few years ago, when Class A bb coaches complained in breathtaking arrogance, and condescension admitted they didn't want to coach another game. As an AD, I'd have fired, on the spot, ANY coach I thought FELT that way, let alone admitted it. Chasing "fairness" is a chimera.

Reactions: Bombers06
ONLY 1 or 2 teams OMG you mean only 25% of the field thats close enough for your liberal let my kid win please cry baby self
Who's the one crying over a T shirt, again? I meant overall...not per class. But don't worry. Another trip to Cabo will help their little entitlement minded souls heal. Want your kid to get to state? Win the District.

I don’t understand everyone’s hatred for t-shirts....
:) The T shirts are just collateral damage. The seething rage is all about WHO gets to wear them. The Sports Police don't think anybody elses kids deserve to wear them. THEY want to lose by 20 in the first round, and not a "crappy" team that loses by...25.

:) The T shirts are just collateral damage. The seething rage is all about WHO gets to wear them. The Sports Police don't think anybody elses kids deserve to wear them. THEY want to lose by 20 in the first round, and not a "crappy" team that loses by...25.
BINGO, you can now face the facts, you do not want the best 8 in the tourney, you want a regional state tourney. Well thats what we have, the field of 16 probably scares you

Last edited:
I want some of whatever you’re on. I’m glad you like the current system, but an overwhelming majority doesn’t, which means change is needed asap.

Reactions: Llama57
BINGO, you can now face the facts, you do not want the best 8 in the tourney, you want a regional state tourney. Well thats what we have, the field of 16 probably scares you
I could honestly care less about the 8 "best", which is laughable in the first place, when this horrible "power points" system is even remotely used. THERE is the biggest flaw in everything we do in sports. I want the best 4-5. 6-8 is always fluff no matter which system is used. We currently get that. Without dragging kids all over the state. It's a ridiculous notion in a state this size for HS athletics. Again, I'm waiting for the name of the State Champion that got "screwed". What is really frightening is this entitlement-minded, "THEY don't deserve it, my kids life is ruined. WE earned it by only losing by 15....yada, yada, yada...". Want to go to state? Win your District. Simple. Some of you people demand "fairness" and allow a state tournament that's not even seeded? There is a much bigger "crime" than Junior not getting a T shirt, imo. You do understand at least 3 teams this weekend would have been excluded by your clever little 16 idea, right? I'm glad for Pierce. And Hartington CC. They EARNED it. I can't believe that stupid pro leagues all use a "regional" tourney.

Reactions: nenebskers
We get it. You're satisfied with a 50% success rate.

It may benefit you to take a look at how districts voted on the proposal for this change.
https://nsaahome.org/legislation/

This is coming, you can yell and scream all you want. You are in the "overwhelming majority"

I could honestly care less about the 8 "best", which is laughable in the first place, when this horrible "power points" system is even remotely used. THERE is the biggest flaw in everything we do in sports. I want the best 4-5. 6-8 is always fluff no matter which system is used. We currently get that. Without dragging kids all over the state. It's a ridiculous notion in a state this size for HS athletics. Again, I'm waiting for the name of the State Champion that got "screwed". What is really frightening is this entitlement-minded, "THEY don't deserve it, my kids life is ruined. WE earned it by only losing by 15....yada, yada, yada...". Want to go to state? Win your District. Simple. Some of you people demand "fairness" and allow a state tournament that's not even seeded? There is a much bigger "crime" than Junior not getting a T shirt, imo. You do understand at least 3 teams this weekend would have been excluded by your clever little 16 idea, right? I'm glad for Pierce. And Hartington CC. They EARNED it. I can't believe that stupid pro leagues all use a "regional" tourney.
reading all of your convos I can see why you dont want change or anything even if its better, You are okay with 20 to 30% of the state final field not being that great and your reason for not wanting change IS one game is just to much to drive for and even if they didnt play anyone to get there they deserve it and you like the fact its a State regional final and not a State championship final, also explains why Highplains has had 2 or 3 good years in the last 15 Good luck to you, please stay right where you are at.

Reactions: Llama57
reading all of your convos I can see why you dont want change or anything even if its better, You are okay with 20 to 30% of the state final field not being that great and your reason for not wanting change IS one game is just to much to drive for and even if they didnt play anyone to get there they deserve it and you like the fact its a State regional final and not a State championship final, also explains why Highplains has had 2 or 3 good years in the last 15 Good luck to you, please stay right where you are at.
Wildly assume much? Here are facts:
Class D1 - AVG 1st rd margin 6.75
Class C2 - 7.25
Class B - 9.5
Class A - 10
Class C1 - 14.75
Class D2 - 20

Where is the most competitive balance? I guess the results just don't clearly match these passionately held and yet completely unsubstantiated beliefs. Regional? I guess if it's good enough for ALL pro sports, B1G football and most NCAA events...It's ok for HS hoops. The only teams that matter, at all, ALWAYS make it already. Why pick a system that's bad for kids, schools, and families that will do what is already done? Seems crazy. And since there is so much "take from the lucky" and "we deserve it MORE" in your arguments...what about the carbon footprint you're expanding?

Wildly assume much? Here are facts:
Class D1 - AVG 1st rd margin 6.75
Class C2 - 7.25
Class B - 9.5
Class A - 10
Class C1 - 14.75
Class D2 - 20

Where is the most competitive balance? I guess the results just don't clearly match these passionately held and yet completely unsubstantiated beliefs. Regional? I guess if it's good enough for ALL pro sports, B1G football and most NCAA events...It's ok for HS hoops. The only teams that matter, at all, ALWAYS make it already. Why pick a system that's bad for kids, schools, and families that will do what is already done? Seems crazy. And since there is so much "take from the lucky" and "we deserve it MORE" in your arguments...what about the carbon footprint you're expanding?
OMG are for real Ok lets agree we will never agree on this, I can not even relate to your thought processes and especially how 8 district champs from regional areas seeded 1 to 16 for one road game, ONE GAME just to much for you to travel LOL like I said please stay where you are at.

Reactions: sportsjunkie2030
OMG are for real Ok lets agree we will never agree on this, I can not even relate to your thought processes and especially how 8 district champs from regional areas seeded 1 to 16 for one road game, ONE GAME just to much for you to travel LOL like I said please stay where you are at.
So...who's the state champ that got left at home? I'll let you go back 10 years even. Boys or Girls. Is it REALLY that important that your kid doesn't get "screwed over" that you would hurt athletes, families, and schools? You were just presented with facts that undermine your argument. Yet that is the best you can do? What exactly is your agenda? Competetive games? C2 and D1 are already doing that. Best team? No one argues that the best 4-5 don't always make it. You, it seems, just want to allocate the participation trophies (and T shirts) differently. Show me a problem, I'll help you work on a solution. You just want to disrupt everyone, to fix a problem that simply doesn't exist.

While it would be uncommon for a "State Champion" to not get to Lincoln, it is certainly possible. It is a difficult argument. There is always the argument that they didn't win their way in...therefore probably were not/are not realistically a "State Champion" type of team. However, this is not always the case. Sutton's boys missed the State Tournament 5 or 6 years back, and I believe lost 3 close games to Ravenna that year. Logan View-Scribner Snyder possibly this year. Twin River boys about 6 years ago. Life gets in the way sometimes, but I know that the flu bug can have a tremendous effect on this type of thing. Does that mean we change the whole system? Not in my opinion.

I guess the other thing that I believe should be pointed out is the use of the term "inconvenience". We don't want to "inconvenience" teams and fans by adopting a serpentine seeding system. "Inconvenience"? Really? Participating in High School athletics is an honor. It is a privilege. It isn't an "inconvenience". Anyone that feels the travel schedule that may exist for the sake of participating in High School athletics is an "inconvenience" should simply not participate.

I certainly don't feel that the current system is perfect, but for now it is the system we have. How would I fix it? 8 Districts, seeded right down the line based on power points. Top 8 are 1 seeds. Next 8 are 2 seeds. Next 8 are 3 seeds, and below that teams are assigned to the district based upon geographic location. Now we are strategically positioning the top 24 teams, and everyone below that gets the benefit of geography. These games would be played at a location that is as close to "central" as possible. There would be no wildcards. We would travel like hell for a couple weeks, but that is just the way it would be.

Reactions: Southernblood
How would I fix it? 8 Districts, seeded right down the line based on power points. Top 8 are 1 seeds. Next 8 are 2 seeds. Next 8 are 3 seeds, and below that teams are assigned to the district based upon geographic location. Now we are strategically positioning the top 24 teams, and everyone below that gets the benefit of geography. These games would be played at a location that is as close to "central" as possible. There would be no wildcards. We would travel like hell for a couple weeks, but that is just the way it would be.

That is really close to what I proposed, except I only gave the strategic positioning to the top 16.

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
ADVERTISEMENT