ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball New Basketball Postseason Needed

Exhibit B, Falls City Sacred Heart beat Cody-Kilgore 63-20......
But we got the best 3-4 teams from each class down there. According to some folks, that's the most important thing. I could probably come up with 15-20 C1 teams that wouldn't be down 31 at the half.
Some of those people also argue about fairness and travel. Not sure it's was a good idea for Ogallala to cancel school today and travel all that ways. With a new system, they could have been knocked out on a Saturday of sub-state and not had to cancel school. Plus maybe a team that was closer wouldn't have had to pay to travel quite so far......

But we got the best 3-4 teams from each class down there. According to some folks, that's the most important thing. I could probably come up with 15-20 C1 teams that wouldn't be down 31 at the half.
Some of those people also argue about fairness and travel. Not sure it's was a good idea for Ogallala to cancel school today and travel all that ways. With a new system, they could have been knocked out on a Saturday of sub-state and not had to cancel school. Plus maybe a team that was closer wouldn't have had to pay to travel quite so far......

Ogallala has spring break today and tomorrow, so they didn't have to cancel school. I guess that is the only good thing about this trip to state.

The same exact thing happens in literally EVERY state tournament we have. Golf....we have kids playing that shoot 35-50 strokes or more behind the winner. Volleyball we have teams that get swept in 3 sets, sometimes you could add the losing teams scores from the 3 sets up and it still wouldn't equal 25. Basketball we have teams that get blown out in round 1 of state. Football we have teams that get blown out in round one. Even with everyone's brilliant idea of a 16 team playoff we have teams that get blown out. State softball has blowouts in round 1. There are kids in the state wrestling tournament that get pinned in less than 15 seconds at the state meet. I think you guys just like to complain.

Part of that comes down to the geographical crap that we do in this state. I understand blowouts are going to happen, but when teams are making it to the state tournament in Lincoln they shouldn't be losing by 40 plus to another team in their class.

The same exact thing happens in literally EVERY state tournament we have. Golf....we have kids playing that shoot 35-50 strokes or more behind the winner. Volleyball we have teams that get swept in 3 sets, sometimes you could add the losing teams scores from the 3 sets up and it still wouldn't equal 25. Basketball we have teams that get blown out in round 1 of state. Football we have teams that get blown out in round one. Even with everyone's brilliant idea of a 16 team playoff we have teams that get blown out. State softball has blowouts in round 1. There are kids in the state wrestling tournament that get pinned in less than 15 seconds at the state meet. I think you guys just like to complain.
In class C football since the East/West split was done away with and 16 teams 1-16 played, the only team from "west" to even be in the championship game was Cozad, when they won in 2013. That was 5 years ago.
Take a look at boys & girls Class C state brackets from the last 5-10 years, and let me know how those teams that got included because of geographic location did.

In class C football since the East/West split was done away with and 16 teams 1-16 played, the only team from "west" to even be in the championship game was Cozad, when they won in 2013. That was 5 years ago.
Take a look at boys & girls Class C state brackets from the last 5-10 years, and let me know how those teams that got included because of geographic location did.
Ask Derek Robb what impact location had on his 4 state titles. Ask Cam Riggs what impact location had on his 4 state titles. Then get back to me.

My prediction for the next participation blowout loss will be Perkins Co VS Ponca
Ask Derek Robb what impact location had on his 4 state titles. Ask Cam Riggs what impact location had on his 4 state titles. Then get back to me.
I’ve never heard of either of those schools winning a team state title. Are they a new co-op?

My prediction for the next participation blowout loss will be Perkins Co VS Ponca

I’ve never heard of either of those schools winning a team state title. Are they a new co-op?
You are correct. You are so wise. Thank you for gracing the message board with your brilliance.

Reactions: HappyTrail3200
Perkins County vs Ponca will be ugly!
Truth be told, a lot of these lopsided games have little to do with the losing team being undeserving or bad and more to do with the winning team being that good. It doesn't matter who Aquinas plays in the first round of the state football playoffs....could be a team from the east like Falls City, could be a team from the west like Chadron.....Aquinas is going to win by 40+ regardless. The same is true for Wahoo in basketball. It didn't matter if they were playing Ogallala from the west or Syracuse from the east, Wahoo is going to win by 20+ points.

Wahoo is really good, but winning by over 40 in a first round state basketball game is ridiculous. There are C2 teams that aren't in Lincoln that would have kept it closer than Ogallala did.

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
Wahoo is really good, but winning by over 40 in a first round state basketball game is ridiculous. There are C2 teams that aren't in Lincoln that would have kept it closer than Ogallala did.
That might be the case, but keep in mind Wahoo played in a total of 3 games this year against C1 competition where the contest was decided by single digits. Two of those games were against Bishop Neumann. I don't think it mattered who they played in round 1, they were going to win by a ton.

Going by the logic on this thread, Platteview didn’t deserve to be at state. They played by the new substate format and got throttled in the opening round. Whether you do districts by geography or districts/substate format there are going to be woodshed beatings in the first round.

Reactions: nenebskers
Going by the logic on this thread, Platteview didn’t deserve to be at state. They played by the new substate format and got throttled in the opening round. Whether you do districts by geography or districts/substate format there are going to be woodshed beatings in the first round.
Sorry for irritating you before, not my intention.
Honestly, I think 10-12 subdistricts based on geography. Take the winners, plus the next teams (4 or 6, depending on # of subs) that didn’t win a sub. Seed 1-16, serpentine, then winners go to state. Good Teams in a loaded sub get a “2nd chance”, and average teams in a weak sub may not make it to state.

Not sure what happened to Platteview. I don’t watch much B hoops. But it appears they had a good season, & deserved to be there. I don’t think anyone would have predicted that score.

On the other hand, the Wahoo vs Ogallala & Ponca vs Perkins Co scores were very predictable. There are many teams in C1 & C2 that, based on their seasons/schedules deserved to be there more.

Another example, South Loup lost by 20ish today to HSC. They got in on a wild card. Their schedule is LOADED with schools below their class. If they lost before the district final, they wouldn’t have even been eligible for the wild card because fewer than 25% of their games were below their classification.

It would be like a 220 wrestler bestirring up on 152 kids all year, but getting to state if there were wild cards in wrestling because he accumulated enough wins throughout the year.

More than willing to eat crow on this. Yesterday was one of the best Thursdays at state I’ve ever seen! LOL
C1 to D2 had a average margin of victory of 15.94 points with 13% of the games going into overtime and the underdog won 25% of the time using the regional system
A and B had an average margin of victory of 11.5 with 37% of the games going into overtime and the under dog won 50% of the time, using the 16 team reseed system

You aren't serious, are you? You honestly think that "here's your cards, play them as well as you are able", is LIBERAL??? Friend, what really reeks of leftism is to inconvenience EVERY school, EVERY player, EVERY family just for the sake of some sort of perceived injustice. All to please the 1 or 2 schools who only lost to high caliber teams? So they can go to Lincoln to lose to similar teams? That's crazy. You know what else? The same team that has beaten your team 2-3 times and is a legit title contender? They are STILL there. Disrupting everyone just so a few parents aren't butt-hurt and one team can get their first round loser T shirts is PERFECT liberalism. Anything talking about "fairness" usually is. I have ZERO problem that the Hartington CC and Pierce girls are going to Lincoln despite neither being above the 16 team cut line. Every single NCAA championship except D1 Mens and Football uses Geography, and the Men's USED to, until massive TV deals made it possible not to. Not using geography in HS sports, expecially in a sprawling state like ours boggles the mind, and calls into play why we even have sports in our schools. Playing sub-Districts and Districts as close to home as possible is better for students, schools, families. That is common sense. And ruining that and dragging kids are over the state is....something else. And for MAYBE one team? Anybody that has a reasonable chance of winning it is already there.
Sub state sure seems much more conservative leaning being as it mirrors the free market system....the current way prevents the best from rising to the top...govt force and oversight instead of allowing a natural and logical tournament to happen.....
Youre not afraid of competition deciding the top are you? You dont strike me as a sanders fan.
Youre way off base on this one. And the way youre freaking out about it makes it seem like its all competiton and fear based.

Like Class C volleyball? LOL. At the risk of REALLY being a "get off my yard" type, I thought THAT was the dumbest idea since since the 7 game regular season in football a few years back. ;) Even with that compromise, to me anyway, you are still burdening families for no appreciable benefit. Understand where half way from Mitchell to Fort Calhoun is. Or Chadron to Falls City. Or Benkleman to Lyons. If anything, and I have zero problems with the current system (my kids have enough T shirts), I'd rather see sub Districts reduced from 12 to 10 and add a thrid wildcard. But even that seems incredibly goofy.
Wait....
So youre saying "boo hoo little billy ends his season in sub districts and we dont get shirts with our kids names on it" etc.....
And at the same time youre saying "its very unfair to families to have to drive that far and inconvenience them." Then how about they dont frickin drive? Wimps! Panzies! Wouldnt it be the same not going to the extra game as being done for the year in sub districts? Same amount of games watched.
Again youre off base. Travel isnt a big deal. Parents love doin it or they wouldnt go to state to watch their kids in the far east corner, just to get a tshirt and lose in the first round, as you so maturely put it.
And if they dont, who cares! Boo hoo just cuz you dont get to see little precious billy go lose! Life lessons!

Better just keep it as irrational as possible instead of actually, you know, having the best teams earn their way to state instead of handing it over to teams as we currently do now.:rolleyes:

Im guessing they are out west.
I love the western part of the state.
Great teams can come out of there and win titles.
Sub state would not prevent that, at all.
In fact you could have years where western teams are much stronger, and loaded up, and it would allow the best teams to earn their way there regardless of geography.

My problem with the current system that is used in Classe C & D is the minimization of a teams entire "body of work". When the post season comes, the fact that a team is 19-4 doesn't matter. If that team has a kid with the flu, all of the sudden they become vulnerable regardless of the fact that they put together a 3 month stretch of excellence. (The flu thing is just an example, I know that every team battles winter illness)

It bothers me that a team like Logan View-Scribner Snyder puts together a great "body of work", and ends up staying home because of where their school is geographically located. It bothers me that every one of their losses came at the hands of teams that are in the state tournament. It bothers me that they lost 5 games to 4 teams (Wahoo beat them twice) and the combined record of those 4 teams was 91-9. To me, this is not what we should be after. We should want more. We should want a system in which the state tournament is full of upsets and close seeding mismatched games. I don't mean a 5 seed beating a 4, that is not an upset. I mean an 8 seed beating a 1 (Millard South over Omaha Central), or an 8 seed taking a 1 seed to 2OT (Crete vs York).

This has nothing to do with "fairness". The current system is fair because it is the system that we have and it is a system that is followed. No rules are being broken, which in my mind constitutes fairness. They system itself is broken, and there are so many good alternatives to the current system.

By the way, I am not a Logan View-Scribner Snyder fan. I don't live within 100 miles of that school. I don't know anyone that attends that school or is any type of administrator in that school. It just bothers me that they are not in Lincoln. I believe that team accomplished enough to be there.

Another example to a lesser extent is freeman. 7 losses (3 to Yutan) to state tournament teams, all within 8 points except their first meeting with Yutan, and a 13 point loss to Lincoln Christian. Also had wins over sacred heart and Johnson-Brock, and all teams they were beat by are still alive in the tournament with the exception of Syracuse. They were in the same district as E/M and Yutan. Could they have done better than South Loup? Maybe we’ll never know, but as someone a above posted South Loup played EIGHT C1 and C2 teams all year. Sub state is needed in all classes. I get it’s tough to argue that a 7 loss team shouldn’t have been left out but heading into district play they were in the 6-9 range in wild card points so they probably would have hosted a sub state game, but instead they were hurt by playing two 3-4 win teams in sub-district and then Yutan for the district final dropping them out of wild card contention.

I think that the majority of the opposition to sub state is in the western part of the state. I know that Cedar Catholic, Battle Creek, Lutheran High wouldn't have lost to Ponca yesterday like Perkins County did. Why does Perkins County deserve to be at the state tournament over those three schools?

Cedar Catholic lost twice to Ponca, once by 11 and once by 10. Lutheran High lost by 15. Heck even a Class D2 school only lost by 18 to them.

I don't have a horse in this race. I am not at all tied to the old fashion format of geography based districts, nor am I against the new idea of substate and reseed etc to get 1-16 and then play it out from there.

I think the scheduling needs to be addressed. Until that happens, power points are an invalid measure of a teams ability. As someone mentioned, South Loup played only 8 C1/C2 schools. There is a TON that goes into this....1- Most teams HAVE to play their conference schools and I would guess most of the schools in South Loup's conference are D1/D2. 2- Schedules are set several years in advance by schools.....South Loup has traditionally been a D1 team. I would imagine that is why they play mostly D schools. 3- Until the state takes over scheduling (like is done in football), there will be teams that consistently schedule smaller schools because it is a win-win for both schools power points. The small school gets 2 bonus points and the big school gets the same 50 points for a level 1 win that they would get for beating a level 1 team in their own class. (The NSAA says a 24-1 class D2 team is worth 50, and a 24-1 class A team is worth 50). Realistically, Aurora could play and beat all of the following teams and get the same points for all the wins.....York (24-1), Wahaoo (24-2), Ponca (27-1), Kenesaw (26-0), and Sacred Heart (22-3). That is a system failure.

Regardless of what system is in place (current system for A-B or current system for C1-D2) the good teams will be continue to throttle teams. I'm the odd man out on this, but I really believe that in just about every sport in every class there are a handful of teams that are head and shoulders better than anyone else. Those teams will continue to beat their opening round opponent by 30+, regardless of whether that opponent qualified through the help of geography (Perkins County and Ogalalla) or whether that opponent qualified by playing their way in (Roncalli and Platteview).

There are years where the state tournament is just a formality....everyone, including the other 7 teams or other 15 teams in the bracket, know who is going to win it before the tournament starts. You guys know what I mean....kids are at home crunching numbers praying that they are going to be on the opposite side of the bracket as (insert dominate team name here) so that they can at least get a runner-up trophy out of the deal.

^^^ I agree. We can argue about the post season all we want but it starts with scheduling and the flawed point system we have. And as a side note, if it’s good for class a and b why isn’t it good enough for the other classes? All classes should have the same format

I don't have a horse in this race. I am not at all tied to the old fashion format of geography based districts, nor am I against the new idea of substate and reseed etc to get 1-16 and then play it out from there.

I think the scheduling needs to be addressed. Until that happens, power points are an invalid measure of a teams ability. As someone mentioned, South Loup played only 8 C1/C2 schools. There is a TON that goes into this....1- Most teams HAVE to play their conference schools and I would guess most of the schools in South Loup's conference are D1/D2. 2- Schedules are set several years in advance by schools.....South Loup has traditionally been a D1 team. I would imagine that is why they play mostly D schools. 3- Until the state takes over scheduling (like is done in football), there will be teams that consistently schedule smaller schools because it is a win-win for both schools power points. The small school gets 2 bonus points and the big school gets the same 50 points for a level 1 win that they would get for beating a level 1 team in their own class. (The NSAA says a 24-1 class D2 team is worth 50, and a 24-1 class A team is worth 50). Realistically, Aurora could play and beat all of the following teams and get the same points for all the wins.....York (24-1), Wahaoo (24-2), Ponca (27-1), Kenesaw (26-0), and Sacred Heart (22-3). That is a system failure.

Regardless of what system is in place (current system for A-B or current system for C1-D2) the good teams will be continue to throttle teams. I'm the odd man out on this, but I really believe that in just about every sport in every class there are a handful of teams that are head and shoulders better than anyone else. Those teams will continue to beat their opening round opponent by 30+, regardless of whether that opponent qualified through the help of geography (Perkins County and Ogalalla) or whether that opponent qualified by playing their way in (Roncalli and Platteview).

There are years where the state tournament is just a formality....everyone, including the other 7 teams or other 15 teams in the bracket, know who is going to win it before the tournament starts. You guys know what I mean....kids are at home crunching numbers praying that they are going to be on the opposite side of the bracket as (insert dominate team name here) so that they can at least get a runner-up trophy out of the deal.

I disagree. While your point may be valid, to me the idea of revamping the scheduling system is just a very long way around the problem and still potentially not a fix for the post season district alignments. If serpentine seeding of at least the top 2 teams in each district is done, the possibility of a team gaining an advantage by scheduling weak competition is very highly unlikely. My own opinion is that the top 3 in each district should be seeded using the serpentine system.

The solution to the problem is really very simple, and doesn't really need to involve a total overhaul of the scheduling system.

I disagree. While your point may be valid, to me the idea of revamping the scheduling system is just a very long way around the problem and still potentially not a fix for the post season district alignments. If serpentine seeding of at least the top 2 teams in each district is done, the possibility of a team gaining an advantage by scheduling weak competition is very highly unlikely. My own opinion is that the top 3 in each district should be seeded using the serpentine system.

The solution to the problem is really very simple, and doesn't really need to involve a total overhaul of the scheduling system.
The serpentine becomes irrelevant when you use the current scheduling/power point system.

The serpentine becomes irrelevant when you use the current scheduling/power point system.

I disagree. If the top 16 or preferably 24 are seeded in serpentine, it's not gonna drastically miss. It may miss a team here or there, but the miss will be by a few spots. Those few spots won't doom a worthy team. It will be the difference from 7th to 11th (or the like). Now they end up with the 6 seed rather than the 10 seed. Not a huge difference.

One thing is for sure, it will be a whole lot better than what we have now.

Last edited:
I disagree. If the top 16 or preferably 24 are seeded in serpentine, it's not gonna drastically miss. It may miss a team here or there, but the miss will be by a few spots. Those few spots won't doom a worthy team. It will be the difference from 7th to 11th (or the like). Now they end up with the 6 seed rather than the 10 seed. Not a huge difference.

One thing is for sure, it will be a whole lot better than what we have now.
We aren't too far off in opinion. I don't think Platteview was even close to the 3rd best team in class B, but that is where their power points were, which means they were seeded 3rd in the serpentine and played the 14th team in the serpentine. Platteview's schedule was absolute trash. They played 12 C1 schools and a total of 5 level 1 caliber teams (lost to 2 of them, beat 2 C1 level 1s, and beat Roncalli). Platteview probably was closer to the 10th+ best team in class B, but instead they were a favorite in their sub state game and ended up blowing Norris out to get in. The same is true for Roncalli. They played a trash schedule (6 C1/C2 teams), lost to every level 1 caliber team they played all year except beating Skutt once. Somehow our power point system declares them a 7 seed? They should have been closer to a 15 seed. All I am saying is there is no perfect system. The serpentine system got 2 teams to Lincoln that probably werent in the top 8 (Roncalli and Platteview, no offense to either team). Meanwhile a team like Elkhorn South (12-13 vs a class A schedule) stays home. I'd suspect Elk South would have beaten both Platteview and Roncalli by double digits.

No perfect system. Regardless of what system you use, you will end up with 1st round blowouts and teams that are "not deserving" getting in.

Last edited:
We aren't too far off in opinion. I don't think Platteview was even close to the 3rd best team in class B, but that is where their power points were, which means they were seeded 3rd in the serpentine and played the 14th team in the serpentine. Platteview's schedule was absolute trash. They played 12 C1 schools and a total of 5 level 1 caliber teams (lost to 2 of them, beat 2 C1 level 1s, and beat Roncalli). Platteview probably was closer to the 10th+ best team in class B, but instead they were a favorite in their sub state game and ended up blowing Norris out to get in. The same is true for Roncalli. They played a trash schedule (6 C1/C2 teams), lost to every level 1 caliber team they played all year except beating Skutt once. Somehow our power point system declares them a 7 seed? They should have been closer to a 15 seed. All I am saying is there is no perfect system. The serpentine system got 2 teams to Lincoln that probably werent in the top 8 (Roncalli and Platteview, no offense to either team). Meanwhile a team like Elkhorn South (12-13 vs a class A schedule) stays home. I'd suspect Elk South would have beaten both Platteview and Roncalli by double digits.

No perfect system. Regardless of what system you use, you will end up with 1st round blowouts and teams that are "not deserving" getting in.

I don't know about Platteview in terms of them being the 3rd best team in Class B. Let's take a look. I get what you are saying about their schedule, but look past the Divisions within their opponents. I wouldn't say their body of work was anything to sneeze at.

Wahoo is a very VERY good 2 loss Clacc C-1 team. BOTH losses were to Platteview.

Syracuse was a State Qualifier and they beat them twice.

They beat Crete, another State Qualifier, and Crete took York to 2OT in round one.

Their only 2 losses came to York and Gretna, both overtime losses, both teams State Qualifiers.

They didn't deserve the 3?......looks to me like the road to Lincoln came through Platteview. Looks to me as if they absolutely deserved the 3.

Now, the Elkhorn South schedule...who's fault is that? Do you really believe that the solution is to have the NSAA take over basketball scheduling so that Elkhorn South doesn't schedule so tough?

I don't know about Platteview in terms of them being the 3rd best team in Class B. Let's take a look. I get what you are saying about their schedule, but look past the Divisions within their opponents. I wouldn't say their body of work was anything to sneeze at.

Wahoo is a very VERY good 2 loss Clacc C-1 team. BOTH losses were to Platteview.

Syracuse was a State Qualifier and they beat them twice.

They beat Crete, another State Qualifier, and Crete took York to 2OT in round one.

Their only 2 losses came to York and Gretna, both overtime losses, both teams State Qualifiers.

They didn't deserve the 3?......looks to me like the road to Lincoln came through Platteview. Looks to me as if they absolutely deserved the 3.

Now, the Elkhorn South schedule...who's fault is that? Do you really believe that the solution is to have the NSAA take over basketball scheduling so that Elkhorn South doesn't schedule so tough?
Platteview's body of work was far from impressive. Syracuse is class C1 and I know they were a state qualifier, but keep in mind they qualified by beating a 19 loss team, a 12 loss team, and a 10 loss team. Don't confuse "state qualifier" with "quality win". Look at the NCAA Tourney....just because a team beat Florida Gulf Coast or Lipscomb and then those teams win their conf tourney and qualify doesn't automatically make that a quality win some how. Fact of the matter is that Syracuse was a decent basketball team that won their district....props to them.

Wahoo is a good couple of wins, but again, they should beat Wahoo considering Wahoo is C1 and Platteview is B. There is little impressive about winning when you play down a class (or two classes or three classes)

Crete is their best win, in my opinion. Crete was the 8 seed in the state tourney.

Any team that gets beat by 30+ by a team that is seeded lower than them isnt deserving of their seed....that is a fact.

As for Elkhorn South, I don't know what to say to your question. I have a hard time criticizing teams for scheduling tough competition. Let me ask you, if Elkhorn South played Roncalli or Platteview on a neutral floor, who is favored and by how much in each game? I'll take Elk South by 12 against Platteview and 16 against Roncalli.

Platteview's body of work was far from impressive. Syracuse is class C1 and I know they were a state qualifier, but keep in mind they qualified by beating a 19 loss team, a 12 loss team, and a 10 loss team. Don't confuse "state qualifier" with "quality win". Look at the NCAA Tourney....just because a team beat Florida Gulf Coast or Lipscomb and then those teams win their conf tourney and qualify doesn't automatically make that a quality win some how. Fact of the matter is that Syracuse was a decent basketball team that won their district....props to them.

Wahoo is a good couple of wins, but again, they should beat Wahoo considering Wahoo is C1 and Platteview is B. There is little impressive about winning when you play down a class (or two classes or three classes)

Crete is their best win, in my opinion. Crete was the 8 seed in the state tourney.

Any team that gets beat by 30+ by a team that is seeded lower than them isnt deserving of their seed....that is a fact.

As for Elkhorn South, I don't know what to say to your question. I have a hard time criticizing teams for scheduling tough competition. Let me ask you, if Elkhorn South played Roncalli or Platteview on a neutral floor, who is favored and by how much in each game? I'll take Elk South by 12 against Platteview and 16 against Roncalli.

This is flawed logic. Platteview's best win is Crete (in your opinion). Platteview SHOULD beat Wahoo because they are a Class C-1 school. Bigger school enrollment alone constitutes what should be a win? Yet Wahoo beat Crete, Seward twice, and Bennington, all Class B schools, all Division 1 or 2 teams. Those 3 teams should have beat Wahoo because Wahoo is C-1 (your logic), yet it didn't happen.

Who do I take in Platteview vs Elkhorn South? Who cares? I am trying to make the point that the NSAA taking over the scheduling is not the solution. It has nothing to do with who I take in the head to head in any game.

We can make an improvement by simply going to a modified serpentine. We don't have to destroy and rebuild the entire scheduling system. I am attempting to promote improvement, not perfection.

Reactions: Yossarian23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT