ADVERTISEMENT

Football Officiating question

UnionStreet77

Freshman
Jun 11, 2013
Scenario: pass interference is called on the d, but the offense still scores. Officials assess the penalty on the ensuing kick off. This can't be right, can it?

Scenario: pass interference is called on the d, but the offense still scores. Officials assess the penalty on the ensuing kick off. This can't be right, can it?
Crazy, but correct enforcement from my memory. I haven't officiated in 3 years though, so don't know if they have changed it since then. Many fans get NCAA & NFL rules mixed up with NFHS.
I'm assuming this was the same game with 3 "defenseless" player personal fouls including 1 ejection that were questionable calls at best. Having to judge "defenseless" is why I will stay away from reffing. Hell, a 120 lb kid is "defenseless" against a 235 lb kid. Sorry for the side rant...

I believe this is correct because of the 15 yard PI, you can't just throw that foul under the bus, who ever is in charge of making these rules with blocking, hitting a player a certain way etc probably has never played the game, I get concussions are a serious problem but this is football and the rules makers are making it very difficult for the players to play and the officials to officiate and the certain fans in the stands who don't know jackshit to begin with it's a easy way for them to be embarrassed by yelling and screaming at the coaches and officials who are just doing their job. i'm old school, if you are playing football then let the kids play football, if you are going to get hurt then you are going to get hurt, it's part of the game, you should not penalize a kid for a good block that is football, hell you got enough equipment on these days that you look like a robot anyway. i'm not saying a kid should go headhunting but football is a rough sport and hard hits are part of it.

Reactions: viewfromthebooth
I'm assuming this was the same game with 3 "defenseless" player personal fouls including 1 ejection that were questionable calls at best. Having to judge "defenseless" is why I will stay away from reffing. Hell, a 120 lb kid is "defenseless" against a 235 lb kid. Sorry for the side rant...

Yes it was. I'd hate to make those calls too. Its way too much judgement to make in a snap situation between was it defenseless and should the offender be ejected. Seemed to really trigger people last night as well. My thoughts are that there is no need to call it out as defenseless, just call it as unnecessary roughness if its unnecessary leave it at that. Thanks for the answer my question too!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT