ADVERTISEMENT

Parochial Schools

does it have something to do with...dare i say...arrogance...bullying...fear?
Not in the least. Aquinas plays Scotus year in and year out. The NSAA sets the schedule not the school.
When Aquinas moves up to C-1 next year I would bet they are put in the Scotus, Bishop Neumann, Wahoo High district. plus games against Norfolk Catholic & Doniphan Trumball. They will not be scared and they will compete. Will they dominate as they are now? No, not right away. Will they pose a threat. Absolutely.

Let's not forget how Falls City Sacred Heart bullshits its way through D2 every year. Most of their kids don't even live in Falls City! It sucks when they power over teams just because they can control their enrollment. They line up 40 kids on the sidelines against 15-20 from regular D2 teams. It's how it's been and unfortunately nobody has done anything about it. It makes me sick.

You can say what you want about private schools, whine & cry if you have to. THEY ARE AND HAVE BEEN FOLLOWING THE RULES SET BEFORE THEM. If not, and you can prove impropriety, report it to NSAA don't come on here and devalue coaches, programs and especially the kids' accomplishments. Just because a sideline is filled with 40 kids vs. 25 doesn't mean those kids aren't working their tails off to win on the field and in the classroom. If a good coach has a choice, they'd take a private school job, if a good player gets the opportunity to play in a winning program, any good parent would give that to them. Stop acting like you wouldn't do the same for your kids if given the opportunity. As for "too much winning" it's good for the sport and teaches lessons on both sides. Remember Mike Tyson, Tiger Woods & Rhonda Rousey? Nobody thought they could be beat. Now you have tremendous stories of individuals who had the drive to get better and overcome those mighty champions. I challenge coaches, administration, parents, community and kids in the public school system to raise the bar and rise up. It will do more good than devaluing the private programs and the innocent kids who just want the best opportunities.

Nebraska Christian cross country? I hope that is sarcasm your using.

What have the Crofton girls CC won in a row? 9, 10, 11? They MUST be recruiting as well!
Do you even realize where their top runners come from? Hastings, Burwell, Grand Island. And that was just last year. I'm not saying they recruited, but they all ended up there at the same time about four years ago when Nebraska Christian didn't have a history of success. Crofton is completely different. They DO have a history of success as well as outstanding coaching. Perhaps some kids from surrounding towns transferred to Crofton because of that, I don't know. Even without transfers, Crofton will be competitive year in, year out.

Do you even realize where their top runners come from? Hastings, Burwell, Grand Island. And that was just last year. I'm not saying they recruited, but they all ended up there at the same time about four years ago when Nebraska Christian didn't have a history of success. Crofton is completely different. They DO have a history of success as well as outstanding coaching. Perhaps some kids from surrounding towns transferred to Crofton because of that, I don't know. Even without transfers, Crofton will be competitive year in, year out.

Why do you guys insist on denigration of the great coaches at the private schools? Do you really think they're just great recruiters? Please also stop devaluing the ability, opportunity & drive that parochial student-athletes have. I DON'T CARE WHERE THEY'RE FROM IN THE STATE, they're our Nebraska kids / coaches and should be treated with respect. I'll say it a little more clearly: If you have caught a program breaking the rules as they are stated, go to NSAA. If not then call 1800-555-GTFO.

Don't you think, maybe if they wouldn't have taken "God" out of the public schools, we wouldn't be having this problem. Those are the people you should be crying to, not the Parochial Schools and the NSAA.

Thanks 1234...if your correct then isn't the disability argument pretty pointless as well?

Probably the biggest valid argument that I agree with is looking at the boys/girls breakdown for classification like South Dakota does. This logically makes a lot of sense.

How is the three year enrollment figured? Isn't it frosh-junior or am I wrong? I hope I am. If so I don't understand why frosh or included instead of seniors, kids who are actually likely to be on varsity.
You are correct in that it is frosh thru Jr. Not sure why. And yes my point was the about 1% of the SPED kids can't participate, any of the reduced and free lunch kids can and do participate. and the ESL kids as well participate. The real issue is parent involvement, a culture of excellence and standards that exceed the norm. Schools and coaches that can create that tend to have successful teams, schools that can't, don't.

@Huskerland Bob would you lock this thread? It's just become a giant pissing match.
I thought it was interesting with good points brought up on both sides until the frog who claims to have coached in three states claims that in AZ a Catholic school coach tried to recruit his son. Heavy use of the word "claim" here since the frog who has been a member just over two weeks now and has used this thread to create in your words "a giant pissing match" hasn't done anything but try to throw gas on an ember to make it blaze.

Sorry rednebraska10, I just think it's dumb to bring Class D Cross Country into this discussion to try to prove a point. That's all. Not saying I'm right, everyone has an opinion.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Oh God here we go again with the recruiting crap. If a kid chooses to go to a parochial school, whether it's for religious reasons, academic reasons or yes, even for athletic reasons- that's not RECRUITING- it's a kid and his / her family making a choice.
Can all you people please live in the real world, private schools have more kids that financially have the resources to be successful. Look across the country, more private schools win titles because parents have the resources to send them there and they can/do hand pick kids. These are the facts, nothing else needs to be said.

Fact of the day...interpret however you wish:

All 4 winners of the Cellular Cup in the boys division were private schools (Prep, Skutt, Scotus, St Francis) and 3 of the 4 combined boys/girls were private schools.

All 4 winners of the Cellular Cup in the boys division were private schools (Prep, Skutt, Scotus, St Francis) and 3 of the 4 combined boys/girls were private schools.
Better question WHY doesnt schools like lexington, omaha south and schuyler have good teams, bad coaches, lazy kids why would you say ???

Dude did Mt. Michael beat you the years you played for Elkhorn?
I can tell you my sister was recruited to swim for Westside. We were not in district 66, this was well before open enrollment, they found a "spot" for her. Westside won state all 4 years she was there. She went on to be a D1 collegiate swimmer. All schools with decent programs recruit. about half the folks in catholic schools have money and half struggle to pay the extra 10K per year per kid.

Dude did Mt. Michael beat you the years you played for Elkhorn?
I can tell you my sister was recruited to swim for Westside. We were not in district 66, this was well before open enrollment, they found a "spot" for her. Westside won state all 4 years she was there. She went on to be a D1 collegiate swimmer. All schools with decent programs recruit. about half the folks in catholic schools have money and half struggle to pay the extra 10K per year per kid.
We never played Mt Michael. We played Skutt, Roncalli, Pius, and Gross though. I have no issues with private/parochial schools at all. As I've stated before, I don't think they recruit anymore than any other school out there does (public schools included). I believe 100% that the program recruits for itself. If I was a middle school boy in Fremont, North Platte, or Kearney I would want to go to Bergan, St Pats, or KCHS because those teams traditionally have better success in football. That isn't a knock on Fremont Public, North Platte Public, or Kearney Public.....facts are facts. KCHS had a 3 year run where they went to the semi's or further each year. St Pats almost always goes further than North Platte High, same with Bergan and Fremont.

The biggest advantage that parochial schools have on public schools is that the parochial school draws from a population that is significantly bigger than the population that the schools they are competing against are drawing from. There are a few exceptions where the parochial school is competing at the same level as the main public school in town is competing at....meaning they are drawing from the same population. This is true with Prep (Omaha), Marian (Omaha), Mt Michael (Elkhorn), St Francis (Humphrey), Neumann (Wahoo), Pope John (Elgin) and their might be a few more. The bulk of the parochial schools are competing in a class that is significantly lower than what they would be competing at if they were a public school simply due to the population they draw from. A few examples:

Norfolk Catholic draws from Norfolk's population of 24,000+, meanwhile their biggest rival (Pierce) draws from 1,700+
North Platte St Pats draws from North Platte's population of 24,000+, meanwhile Hersehey is the nearest C2 school and they draw from a population of 650+
Hastings St Cecilia draws from Hastings' population of 25,000+, meanwhile Sutton is one of their biggest rivals in football and they are pulling from 1,500+.
Archbishop Bergan draws from Fremont's population of 26,000+, meanwhile Yutan (a team in their district) draws from 1,100+.

I'm not saying that parochial schools are at fault or are doing anything against the rules....but to deny there is not an advantage present is plain ignorant.

Reactions: cavalot
We never played Mt Michael. We played Skutt, Roncalli, Pius, and Gross though. I have no issues with private/parochial schools at all. As I've stated before, I don't think they recruit anymore than any other school out there does (public schools included). I believe 100% that the program recruits for itself. If I was a middle school boy in Fremont, North Platte, or Kearney I would want to go to Bergan, St Pats, or KCHS because those teams traditionally have better success in football. That isn't a knock on Fremont Public, North Platte Public, or Kearney Public.....facts are facts. KCHS had a 3 year run where they went to the semi's or further each year. St Pats almost always goes further than North Platte High, same with Bergan and Fremont.

The biggest advantage that parochial schools have on public schools is that the parochial school draws from a population that is significantly bigger than the population that the schools they are competing against are drawing from. There are a few exceptions where the parochial school is competing at the same level as the main public school in town is competing at....meaning they are drawing from the same population. This is true with Prep (Omaha), Marian (Omaha), Mt Michael (Elkhorn), St Francis (Humphrey), Neumann (Wahoo), Pope John (Elgin) and their might be a few more. The bulk of the parochial
schools are competing in a class that is significantly lower than what they would be competing at if they were a public school simply due to the population they draw from. A few examples:

Norfolk Catholic draws from Norfolk's population of 24,000+, meanwhile their biggest rival (Pierce) draws from 1,700+
North Platte St Pats draws from North Platte's population of 24,000+, meanwhile Hersehey is the nearest C2 school and they draw from a population of 650+
Hastings St Cecilia draws from Hastings' population of 25,000+, meanwhile Sutton is one of their biggest rivals in football and they are pulling from 1,500+.
Archbishop Bergan draws from Fremont's population of 26,000+, meanwhile Yutan (a team in their district) draws from 1,100+.

I'm not saying that parochial schools are at fault or are doing anything against the rules....but to deny there is not an advantage present is plain ignorant.
Agree with this point 100% add that with the difference in Sped, BD,and 504 students you have the advantage that public schools do not.

newsie.....Now you hit it on the head. Lets do the multiplier and then give me at least 1/2 of my property tax money back. My children go to a private school and I cant wait to tell them that they are 1.5 times 'better' than their public school friends.....(sarcasm)....that should mean 1.5 times the scholarship money they get to go to college too, since they are so much 'better'.....this post is such a joke. Basically what youre saying is that because private schools tend to win more, they should have to make changes. ? That's crazy. In business if bad companies struggle they change or go out of business...the good companies don't make changes, they usually buy out the bad companies at pennies on the dollar and make changes to bring up the bad companies. How about the public schools become for profit.....then maybe something gets done.

newsie.....Now you hit it on the head. Lets do the multiplier and then give me at least 1/2 of my property tax money back. My children go to a private school and I cant wait to tell them that they are 1.5 times 'better' than their public school friends.....(sarcasm)....that should mean 1.5 times the scholarship money they get to go to college too, since they are so much 'better'.....this post is such a joke. Basically what youre saying is that because private schools tend to win more, they should have to make changes. ? That's crazy. In business if bad companies struggle they change or go out of business...the good companies don't make changes, they usually buy out the bad companies at pennies on the dollar and make changes to bring up the bad companies. How about the public schools become for profit.....then maybe something gets done.
You have chosen to send your children to a private school, you can either afford it or your family makes the necessary sacrifices to send your children to a private school. Thats great for you, your children get a faith based education of your choosing in a controlled environment of your choosing. This choice is not one everyone can make. Due to financing reasons or location, it is choice you have to give your children an advantage you want them to have, and thats great. but it is an advantage, especially when it comes to a true count of enrollment. The multiplier adjust that enrollment count to make up for Special education, physical disabled, esl, 504 and BD to name a few and we all know social economics is a great prediction model for success. You want to use a business model to explain your situation then let the government come in and bail out the failing schools and give them more money and students to succeed because thats what we do in the real world. Also we always talk about how great the private school coaches are but using your business format then your saying the greatest employes coming out of college always go to the businesses with the least amount of pay and poor benefits( insert sarcasm )

Last edited:
To your first statement, spirits are good, I do enjoy them. Yes free and reduced kids and ESL can and do play sports, but a large number do not because of their situations (i.e.; working after school to support themselves/family or babysitting siblings because mom & dad work evening/night shift; language barrier; zero knowledge of sports offered; family values and belief; etc.) It's not that they can't play sports, but there are a number of factors that play into maybe why they don't. If you have 15 to 25 of these types of kids in a C2 school that drastically impacts your athletic programs, no "ifs", "ands" or "buts" about it.

To your second statement, I in fact stated that private schools do have ESL students and Free-Reduced students, they just don't have them to the numbers that a public school has. The impact on their student population is small or minimal. If you believe otherwise, that is your perspective. As for recruiting, not going there, some schools do it and others don't, and EVERYONE in Omaha and Lincoln most certainly do it.
Would you also support a multiplier being applied to schools (C1-D1) that don't have as high of a number of ESL students or free-reduced lunch students as similarly sized schools in their class? Because that would also give those schools an advantage.

I've got an idea. Why don't all the complainers from these 'lackluster' school programs just cash it in....cancel the sport you stink in, save the money for something worthwhile in your school system and save the rest of us all of these stupid posts. At least that way there wont be anymore forfeits and much more competitive schedules.

Do me a favor, get on the NDE website and look at enrollment numbers....compare private to public as far as free and reduced lunch and migrant and ESL population. When it comes to a competitive edge, you can't tell me that this puts a C2 public and private school on the same competitive level. If you disagree with me, just keep drinking the kool-aide. What is amazing is the NSAA has to commission a study to look into it, waste of money in my eyes, it's pretty obvious in the lower classes there is a difference. You can also keep your better students/program/coaching as to why private schools succeed line to yourself, I'm not buying it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the STC state basketball teams from a couple years back have 9 players on it from 9 different zipcodes?
Great idea, but unfortunately it's impossible to compare public to parochial districts. In Nebraska parochial schools aren't required to report these statistics.

You have chosen to send your children to a private school, you can either afford it or your family makes the necessary sacrifices to send your children to a private school. Thats great for you, your children get a faith based education of your choosing in a controlled environment of your choosing. This choice is not one everyone can make. Due to financing reasons or location, it is choice you have to give your children an advantage you want them to have, and thats great. but it is an advantage, especially when it comes to a true count of enrollment. The multiplier adjust that enrollment count to make up for Special education, physical disabled, esl, 504 and BD to name a few and we all know social economics is a great prediction model for success. You want to use a business model to explain your situation then let the government come in and bail out the failing schools and give them more money and students to succeed because thats what we do in the real world. Also we always talk about how great the private school coaches are but using your business format then your saying the greatest employes coming out of college always go to the businesses with the least amount of pay and poor benefits( insert sarcasm )

Guess you didn't figure out that my entire comments were 'sarcasm'....guess I touched a nerve there. BTW since you brought up government bailouts.....18 trillion sounds fun.....lets keep doing that....see how that works out long term. The reservations already show us how pumping more $ to failing schools doesn't seem to solve problems.

Guess you didn't figure out that my entire comments were 'sarcasm'....guess I touched a nerve there. BTW since you brought up government bailouts.....18 trillion sounds fun.....lets keep doing that....see how that works out long term. The reservations already show us how pumping more $ to failing schools doesn't seem to solve problems.
I am not the one that used it, said it, or agrees with it, just explained it and your flaws with that thinking You always know when you are winning a discussion when it gets slanderous Thanks for making my point

Now would probably be a good time to change the subject.

How'd did everybody enjoy the C1 game with Columbus JV and Norfolk JV??

:)

First of all footballfella it would not surprise in the least that your so called Columbus jv team would in fact beat the varsity of Columbus high, fact is athletes at that school r way down! Good point though but pretty sure they is NC play within the system, they r second lowest in inrolllment in c1.

High Plains Community (26-2).Defending champion Storm took some serious graduation hits but also returns three starters and a key transfer.

Winnebago (27-1).To be honest, not sure what to make of the defending state champs. About all that returns is 6-7 junior superstar David Wingett (19.7 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 2.3 assists), but then again, that just might be enough. Just in case, Winnebago will benefit from two South Sioux City transfers, 6-1 senior Aspen LaPointe and 6-0 sophomore Devon LaPointe, both of whom are expected to become impact players.

O'Neill (11-14).Expect a pretty sizable jump-up by the Eagles, who return four starters and a key transfer. Team is led by 6-2 senior Tyson Hostert (10 ppg, 6 rpg, 2.5 assists), with 6-0 sophomore Justin Appleby (10 ppg, 6 rpg, 3 assists, 2 steals) one of the better young players in this class. Also returning are 6-6 senior Walker Liewer (6 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 2 blocks) and 6-0 junior Jake Young (8 ppg, 3 assists, 2 steals), with St. Mary's transfer Tyler Regan, a 6-7 junior (12.7 ppg, 9.5 rpg) also sure to help

Omaha Central (13-9).Eagles return two starters, including 6-9 junior Isaiah Poor Bear Chandler, last year's leading scorer and rebounder who is also drawing Division I recruiting interest. 6-0 sophomore point guard Roman Behrens also returns, with 6-5 senior Ramsey Adams and 5-11 junior Jordan Flowers also returning lettermen. Central gets a boost from Benson transfer Brandon Reed, a 5-9 senior who last year led the Bunnies in scoring.

Fremont (10-14).Tigers will be led by 6-8 senior Ryan Williams, an all-state candidate who last year averaged 16 points and 10 rebounds per game, with 6-3 seniors Matt Hahn (9 ppg) and Schuyler Sutter other returning starters. Fremont also benefits from the arrival of three transfers who should help, senior K'zhan Jimerson and Christian Harmon, seniors from Omaha Central, and junior Taylor Keeney, who played last season at Cedar Bluffs.

Just a few things that may or may not be worth the time being taken up. It would be interesting see how the number of private/parochial schools has increased over the past 20-25 years and the decrease of public schools because of co-op and/or consolidation. And yes, I understand there are co-ops in sports between public and parochial schools. But this has a twofold meaning. With that increase in private and drop in public not only is there fewer teams to compete against in a class, a prospective student may be looking at his school going into a consolidation situation where he has travel 20-some miles or taking a look at a private or other public school fewer miles away. Or some other reason for the change in schools.
Another issue is students opting in and out of districts. Would it be feasible for just a multiplier on students that opt in to another district? That way both public and private are under same multiplier rules.
There also needs to be hard number to go by when setting up the classes. If you have enrollment number that says you are 11-man you play 11-man. If you are C-2 and drop to play 8-man, you aren't allowed to make the play-offs. If that number needs adjusted, do it.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT