ADVERTISEMENT

Football Pre playoff media champions

UnionStreet77

Freshman
Jun 11, 2013
Does anyone have a list of champions as named by writers from the World-Herald and Journal-Star (and their predecessors)? Seems I can only find mentions in articles or books no lists.

I don't have an easy to share list, but I can find a specific year pretty quickly. Is there one you need?

Here are Jerry Mathers's champions from _Nebraska High School Sports History_ in
Class A
Class B

I think they go from 1939-2010. They are depicted in helmets at the NE high school Helmet Project (pretty out of date). Mathers usually went with Gregg McBride's pick, though Mathers never ranked private schools, so you won't see any of them in the pre-1975 era. After 1976, it is the high school champion.

I'm pretty sure the OWH crowned Ralston, which didn't make the 4-team playoff, as champ in 1975 instead of Coach Solich and LSE.

Last edited:
I threw what I had easily at hand into a database. Lots of missing pieces, but some of them are here.

I threw what I had easily at hand into a database. Lots of missing pieces, but some of them are here.

I have filled in most of the gaps in the World Herald and Lincoln paper lists. I actually could use some help on the modern six man championships run by the 6-man coaches association. Anyone have that list?

I have filled in most of the gaps in the World Herald and Lincoln paper lists. I actually could use some help on the modern six man championships run by the 6-man coaches association. Anyone have that list?

Great stuff. If you need help with the Mathers list let me know. I got the book and that's what started my curiosity on this subject.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT