ADVERTISEMENT

Quick question on an officiating call?

Jul 12, 2013
I was at a game Friday night where the offense scored a TD which was confirmed by officials making signal and blowing whistle. As offense was lining up for conversion attempt, one of the refs noticed that offense had 12 men on the field during previous play and threw a flag for too many players on field. All the refs gathered together, waived off touchdown and assessed penalty. This call in no way affected outcome of game but I was just curious on this one. I figured since play was called a TD and whistled dead, the penalty would have to be called on the conversion attempt or ensuing kickoff. Thoughts??

question, how did they know that in the previous play there was 12. if there was 12 then it's illegal participation, but why wasn't it known at the time of the play. and most teams have subs coming in for extra points, this just doesn't sound right to me.

there would be TD due to 12 on the field thus no extra point attempt or kickoff either.

Technically the play should have never ran. Should have been blown dead for illegal substitution for having 12 on the field and the 12th player (replaced player) not leaving the field within 3 seconds. The referee and the umpire are responsible for counting the offensive players...if there was 12 counted the play should have never ran (in fact...if officials are doing there job you should never have illegal participation this way...always illegal substitution). My guess is they counted 12 late...the play ran...thus once the snap happens it is illegal participation...flag was dropped at some point...sounds like it was dropped very very late. They got it right...sort of...albeit very very late. I am the referee on our crew and I always try to count the players as early as I can to avoid this. With the no huddle spread offenses today that can be a challenge.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT