4. Grand Island (6-2) - 37
5. Bellevue West (5-3) - 31
6t. Kearney (6-2) - 25
6t. Omaha Creighton Prep (5-3) - 25
8. Omaha North (6-2) - 21
9. Papillion-LaVista South (6-2) - 16
10. North Platte (5-3) - 7

Contenders
Millard South (5); Lincoln Southwest (1)

===============================

CLASS B
1. Bennington (6) (8-0) - 60 pts
2. Omaha Gross (8-0) - 53
3. Scottsbluff (7-1) - 48
4. Elkhorn (6-2) - 43
5. Waverly (6-2) - 35
6. Omaha Skutt (6-2) - 31
7. York (5-3) - 19
8. Blair (5-3) - 15
9. Elkhorn North (5-3) - 11
10. Grand Island Northwest (4-4) - 10

Contenders
Lincoln Pius X (3); Seward (2)

CLASS C1
1. Aurora (6) (8-0) - 60 pts
2. Pierce (8-0) - 54
3. Ashland-Greenwood (7-1) - 47
4. McCook (8-0) - 43
5. Boone Central (6-2) - 33
6. Omaha Roncalli (6-2) - 32
7. Adams Central (6-2) - 23
8. Columbus Lakeview (6-2) - 15
9. Auburn (6-2) - 8
10. Wahoo (5-3) - 7

Contenders
Platteview (4); Central City (2); Lincoln Christian (2)

CLASS C2
1. Norfolk Catholic (6) (8-0) - 60 pts
2. Ord (7-1) - 52
3. Hastings St. Cecilia (8-0) - 50
4. Malcolm (8-0) - 42
5. Wahoo Neumann (7-1) - 29
6. Oakland-Craig (6-2) - 27
7. Battle Creek (6-2) - 26
8. Mitchell (8-0) - 24
9. Hartington Cedar Catholic (6-2) - 14
10. Lincoln Lutheran (5-3) - 5

Contenders
Fillmore Central (1)

CLASS D1
1. North Platte St. Patrick's (6) (8-0) - 60 pts
2. Cross County (8-0) - 52
3. Stanton (8-0) - 47
4t. Clarkson/Leigh (7-1) - 36
4t. Laurel-Concord-Coleridge (8-0) - 36
6. Neligh-Oakdale (7-1) - 27
7. Palmyra (7-1) - 26
8. Elmwood-Murdock (7-1) - 21
9. Riverside (7-1) - 14
10. Thayer Central (7-1) - 9

Contenders
Hi-Line (1); Ravenna (1)

CLASS D2
1. Howells-Dodge (6) (8-0) - 60 pts
2. Bruning-Davenport/Shickley (8-0) - 52
3. Hitchcock County (8-0) - 50
4. Ainsworth (8-0) - 36
5t. Dundy County-Stratton (7-1) - 21
5t. Osceola (7-1) - 21
5t. Wynot (7-1) - 21
8t. Johnson-Brock (7-1) - 20
8t. Sandhills/Thedford (7-1) - 20
10. Lawrence-Nelson (7-1) - 16

Contenders
Bloomfield (12); Elm Creek (1)

CLASS D6
1. Potter-Dix (6) (7-0) - 60 pts
2. Arthur County (7-0) - 54
3. Sumner-Eddyville-Miller (7-0) - 47
4. Parkview Christian (6-1) - 40
5. Cody-Kilgore (6-1) - 37
6. Red Cloud (6-1) - 31
7. Shelton (6-1) - 19
8. Pawnee City (5-2) - 18
9. Garden County (5-2) - 16
10. Sterling (5-2) - 6

Contenders
Hay Springs (2)

This is going to likely be an unpopular take, but it’s how I think.

Why are ineligible teams rated throughout the year? These are teams that do not meet the criteria to be in the class they are. They then take a ranking from a team who should be there.

Curious what the rest of you say.

Why are ineligible teams rated throughout the year? These are teams that do not meet the criteria to be in the class they are. They then take a ranking from a team who should be there.

Rankings are participation medals for the regular season. It's something to sell newspapers.

Ranking the teams playing in that class doesn’t really matter that they aren’t eligible if they are the 3rd best team they could finish as that. Just like a semi final team with an easy path can still finish the year ranked 7th or 8th. Rankings are for fun and I don’t recall getting a ribbon or anything for finishing ranked 5th or 3rd. It’s either you win state or finish runner-up in football to get hardware. Just like when the championship game was always played in the east semi finals for so many years before they changed to the statewide reseed. Finish first, the rest really doesn’t matter. Just my opinion

Reactions: Llama57
This thread is going sideways.

The question is should ineligible teams be ranked because they don’t meet the criteria to be in the class.

Rankings don’t mean anything when it comes time to prove yourself on the field….I’m well aware. I agree.

However, if you’re going to do them, why include teams that don’t fit the requirements to be there?

Reactions: HighPlainsCoach

The question is should ineligible teams be ranked because they don’t meet the criteria to be in the class.

Rankings don’t mean anything when it comes time to prove yourself on the field….I’m well aware. I agree.

However, if you’re going to do them, why include teams that don’t fit the requirements to be there?
I guess if the ranking meant anything toward actual competition then no, but they don’t. Rankings are just someone’s opinions and in yours those teams shouldn’t be included but really what does it hurt to say, well we have 65 boys in high school and only 18 out for football and we went 8-0 and we were ranked 3rd at the end of the season but based off numbers we are ineligible. Yes they know they wouldn’t be in playoffs but being ranked literally affects no one. It is their only feel good. Heck why even play if you aren’t eligible. Because it’s football, it’s awesome. In the mid to late 90’s we had so many teams in sw ne playing 8 man football and not eligible that we created what was known as the gridiron and all ineligible teams played in it like a championship bracket still. I guess they could leave the teams out of the rankings or put asterisks next to them stating not eligible but I’m really not sure why it matters. It doesn’t actually say, top ten teams eligible for the playoffs. Just top ranked teams in each class.

• Wow
Reactions: TwinsRRUs

I would venture to guess that the newspapers doing the rankings don't have a clue which teams are eligible or not as they don't give it that much attention.

Because it's obvious that they don't pay attention to a lot of the games when they have 1-loss teams ranked higher than other undefeated teams that beat them and gave them their one loss.

I would venture to guess that the newspapers doing the rankings don't have a clue which teams are eligible or not as they don't give it that much attention.

Because it's obvious that they don't pay attention to a lot of the games when they have 1-loss teams ranked higher than other undefeated teams that beat them and gave them their one loss.
Correct... Softball ratings today had a team ranked 1-2 spots lower than a team they beat at state head to head & knocked out of the tourney. Some sports writers have no clue.
Some...not all. There are some knock it out of the park guys covering HS sports IMO. Others, not so much.
Irregardless, if a team is playing 8 man & not eligible, what's the harm in ranking them? They aren't going to win a championship, that's actually settled on the field.

I agree 100%.

Rankings are participation medals for the regular season. It's something to sell newspapers.
That, is hitting the nail, squarely on the head. To me, at least, it's a reward for schools that are either A. Afraid to compete against schools their own size or B. Get their jollies out of beating smaller schools. Some will argue with me, but there is absolutely zero reason for a "ranked" school coming from the chicken league. I wouldn't even have them play the schools that actually belong in the class, so...

Reactions: C-Bearsfan
I see where Stu thinks NPSP is too gutted to win in the Quarters, but still, apparently has them ranked #1. I don't get that. Why would your rankings that are current or done after the predictions reflect those predictions?

I see where Stu thinks NPSP is too gutted to win in the Quarters, but still, apparently has them ranked #1. I don't get that. Why would your rankings that are current or done after the predictions reflect those predictions?
I laugh at LJS and OWH 8man rankings most of the year. Why put rankings out if you don't pay attention to it? NEnext on Twitter is always the most accurate from D-3 to Class A.

I laugh at LJS and OWH 8man rankings most of the year. Why put rankings out if you don't pay attention to it? NEnext on Twitter is always the most accurate from D-3 to Class A.
With that being said, do you think DCS is the 3rd best team in D-2? If so, there is a major drop from 2 to 3 as Hitchcock beat them 44-6. Maybe they had an off game, we will find out Friday in Howells.

I agree. It seems like laziness to not have ratings reflect current thinking. I would agree but junior high football from the suburbs does not interest me in the least! lol. Seems I have to wade through a whole bunch of garbage to find what I want.

With that being said, do you think DCS is the 3rd best team in D-2? If so, there is a major drop from 2 to 3 as Hitchcock beat them 44-6. Maybe they had an off game, we will find out Friday in Howells.
Somebody on here indicated that the score wasn't really indicative of the game or talent levels. Dunno.

I agree i think DCS is a very good team, bur appears there is a large drop off after 1 and 2 in the rankings

Somebody on here indicated that the score wasn't really indicative of the game or talent levels. Dunno.
Yes, I did say that after the game with there being 3 goal line stands and an untimely lateral that ended as a pick 6. They seem to have things rolling again, would like to see some competition for Howells-Dodge before the championship. One thing with 8-man football is some teams match up better to others.

I agree. It seems like laziness to not have ratings reflect current thinking. I would agree but junior high football from the suburbs does not interest me in the least! lol. Seems I have to wade through a whole bunch of garbage to find what I want.
Those people have no idea what is going on on the smaller classes, I wish they would have more staff to assist them, after Class B they really have no clue, Sauter is even worse, have to stick here or NENext or 8 by 80 to get real insight on smaller classes, I'm sure there are others too. LJS and OWH is a joke.

Yes DCS is 3rd best. I think DCS gives H-D a heck of a game. Honestly think the top 3 in D-2 would win D-1 this year.

Yes DCS is 3rd best. I think DCS gives H-D a heck of a game. Honestly think the top 3 in D-2 would win D-1 this year.
I
I would say might have a chance to win, but just a chance From what I have seen, NPSP and Stanton are a little better and sorry to say I would not put DCS in that group with those four teams at all. They are a good team but in my opinion not at that level. Nice thing they have a chance to prove me wrong

Last edited:
Those people have no idea what is going on on the smaller classes, I wish they would have more staff to assist them, after Class B they really have no clue, Sauter is even worse, have to stick here or NENext or 8 by 80 to get real insight on smaller classes, I'm sure there are others too. LJS and OWH is a joke.
Agree with finding stuff on hear or the 8 by 80 guys but after class C2 I don’t know how much to trust NENext. 8 man rankings usually have some head scratchers and if you listen in his Twitter spaces he’s pulling stuff directly from the 8 by 80 boys. Don’t believe me, just listen to the HC and Bloomfield pregame then listen to his Twitter spaces, it’s almost word for word. C2-A and the freshman stuff he does is top notch though!
Going back to the thread and knowing what we know today there’s a major drop off from 1 and 2 to the rest of D2 and I’d agree that we could put either of those teams into D1 and you might have them walk out of Lincoln as champs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT