ADVERTISEMENT

Football Schools that have played 11-, 8-, and 6-man football this century

HappyTrail3200

Freshman
Sep 14, 2017
Had a fun thought today and wanted to see just how big this list was.

In SW NE there are at least four schools that I can think of that have played all three styles of football this century:

Creek Valley
Maywood
Medicine Valley (Starting to play 6-man in 2024)
Southwest

Are there any more?

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Butte did this in one season. In the fall of 1981 the Wildcats played seven 11 man games, one 8 man game and one six man game. 11 man games were against Lynch, Ewing, Orchard, Spencer, Keya Paha, Verdigre and Stuart, the 8 man game was against Clearwater and the 6 man game was against Cody Kilgore. The Cody Kilgore game was originally scheduled as an 8 man game but the Cowboys lost several players due to injures earlier in the season.

Last edited:
...obviously not this century but somewhat unique. Great question. I'll have to think on this one for awhile....quite awhile!!

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
How about Cambridge, they aren't playing 6 man but have went from Powerhouse C-2 to D-2 now. Fullerton used to be 11 man and they just voted to stay at 8 man but have the numbers to play 6 man

Wilcox-Hildreth.

11 Man the first few years of consolidation (early 2000's). 8 man through the 2013 season. 6 man from 2014-2023, back to 8 man beginning next fall.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
when it hits your school it hits hard, I can think of many schools it has hit. Another great example is look at Blue Hill I believe in 2009 they were C2 state champs and now they are struggling in D2

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
Milford. They have state titles at all three levels.

6- 1953
8- 1954
11- 1969, 1995, 1996

Whoops. Didn't see 'this century'. In my defense, I often am not always sure of the current century.

Last edited:
I was able to find a Red Cloud schedule for the fall of 2000. It had them listed as C-2 and had, among others, Blue Hill, Gibbon and Arapahoe on their schedule. Superior lost to O'Neill in the 1982 Class B semi-finals.

Reactions: Bubman86
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT