ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Scores from Saturday (2/24)

Alum-Ni

All-State
Gold Member
Aug 29, 2004
CLASS B

District Finals (winners advance to state)

B-1

York 64, Holdrege 19

B-2
Omaha Skutt 70, Alliance 39

B-3
Norris at Platteview (Monday)

B-4
Bennington 76, Elkhorn South 64

B-5
Aurora 47, Seward 35

B-6
Gretna 59, Elkhorn Mt. Michael 35

B-7
Crete 45, Scottsbluff 42

B-8
Omaha Roncalli 59, Sidney 52

I think previous state tournaments have proven that panhandle basketball in class B is some of the top basketball in the state.

2017: Scottsbluff beat Crete and Aurora and fell to Gretna on a last second shot to finish as runner up.
2016: Aurora had to go to overtime to beat Sidney in opening round. Scottsbluff beat Platteview and Aurora before falling to Gretna and finising runner up.
2015: Sidney beat Scottsbluff and Beatrice before falling to Elk South in finals to finish runner up
2014: Scottsbluff fell to eventual champion Skutt in the first round, losing by 9
2013: Scottsbluff beat Aurora and Gretna before falling by 2 to SSC in the finals to finish runner up.

That is just the last 5 years. I didn't go back much further than that. This year might have been a down year out west, I don't know, but lets not go suggesting that they only made it to state in previous years because of the old format. Previous results certainly show they can play with anyone.

I think previous state tournaments have proven that panhandle basketball in class B is some of the top basketball in the state.

2017: Scottsbluff beat Crete and Aurora and fell to Gretna on a last second shot to finish as runner up.
2016: Aurora had to go to overtime to beat Sidney in opening round. Scottsbluff beat Platteview and Aurora before falling to Gretna and finising runner up.
2015: Sidney beat Scottsbluff and Beatrice before falling to Elk South in finals to finish runner up
2014: Scottsbluff fell to eventual champion Skutt in the first round, losing by 9
2013: Scottsbluff beat Aurora and Gretna before falling by 2 to SSC in the finals to finish runner up.

That is just the last 5 years. I didn't go back much further than that. This year might have been a down year out west, I don't know, but lets not go suggesting that they only made it to state in previous years because of the old format. Previous results certainly show they can play with anyone.
Yup, results don't lie. But it's great that it seems the best 8 are headed to Lincoln.

So there's 2 teams from West in Class B who can compete. What about the other 5 classes?

So there's 2 teams from West in Class B who can compete. What about the other 5 classes?
I'm not sure what you consider "west". There really are no schools "west" in class A. Kearney and North Platte are as far west as it gets. Kearney can obviously compete. They beat Central down in Lincoln last year. I would imagine they have a pretty good shot to be competitive this year based on how their season has gone and what they were able to do in football with some of the same athletes.

Just off the top of my head I know of these....
Chadron was in the finals 4 straight years I think from 2007-2010. Might have been a 3rd place game in there though. That would be class C. Regardless, that was 4 years in a row where they played all 3 days at state.

Alliance won class B in 2001. They have made two trips since then, beating Platteview I think last year and then losing to state champ Gretna. That would be class B. Gering and McCook have also had similar one or two year flashes. Those would also be class B. Granted, 2001 was a long time ago.

Paxton was runner up about 5 years ago in class D. I also remember them losing to High Plains either the year before or the year after in overtime. That was a fun game to be at.

Southern Valley won it in 2013. That would have been class C2 probably. They went on a run of 3 or 4 straight trips to Lincoln after that, though I don't think they were as competitive the following years. That 2013 team was really good.

NP St Pats made a run from 2010-2013 or 2011-2014 where they were in the state tourney 4 years in a row and competed well. I don't think they ever won it but I remember them destroying Ponca one year and then losing a close game to LHNE in the semis.

One year Mike Daum brought Kimball down to Lincoln and they won their first round game, then I think lost to Wayne by a handful. Those who follow college basketball are surely familiar with Mike Daum.

I'm not as familiar with the class D schools at west, but at quick glance of the NSAA website I found the following
-Cody Kilgore won D2 in 2002
-Hay Springs beat St Marys in 2009 and Giltner in 2010 down at state. Class D2
-Mullen won it last year (but again, what do you consider west?) Mullen is definitely not panhandle, but certainly out state Nebraska.
-Bridgeport played Battle Creek to a 5 point game in 2015
-Cambridge won it in 2004
-Dundy County played GACC tough last year.

Not saying the west is "better". Just saying historically there have consistently been teams from the west in all classes that can compete down in Lincoln. This year it looks like there will be fewer teams from the west, and that is fine.

Aurora is in the Panhandle?? Good God - look at a map. It's not even in Western Nebraska.....

Aurora is in the Panhandle?? Good God - look at a map. It's not even in Western Nebraska.....
You clearly can't read. I never said 1 thing about Aurora basketball that implied they were in the panhandle. I did talk about games in which they played a panhandle school. You sir, are completely incompetent.

Reactions: Yossarian23
You clearly can't read. I never said 1 thing about Aurora basketball that implied they were in the panhandle. I did talk about games in which they played a panhandle school. You sir, are completely incompetent.
Maybe Newsie wasn't quite awake when he read your post.

Good analysis and good points. The East vs West debate (and many of the results) have been similar in girls basketball as well. I am interested in lots of games this weekend, especially the first rounder between unbeaten Mitchell and Pierce. It's a #1 vs #8 matchup and on paper, you may think MItchell will win easily. It would be a nice one for the Panhandle team to win, but Pierce is always tough in March and has played a tough schedule.

I'm not sure what you consider "west". There really are no schools "west" in class A. Kearney and North Platte are as far west as it gets. Kearney can obviously compete. They beat Central down in Lincoln last year. I would imagine they have a pretty good shot to be competitive this year based on how their season has gone and what they were able to do in football with some of the same athletes.

Just off the top of my head I know of these....
Chadron was in the finals 4 straight years I think from 2007-2010. Might have been a 3rd place game in there though. That would be class C. Regardless, that was 4 years in a row where they played all 3 days at state.

Alliance won class B in 2001. They have made two trips since then, beating Platteview I think last year and then losing to state champ Gretna. That would be class B. Gering and McCook have also had similar one or two year flashes. Those would also be class B. Granted, 2001 was a long time ago.

Paxton was runner up about 5 years ago in class D. I also remember them losing to High Plains either the year before or the year after in overtime. That was a fun game to be at.

Southern Valley won it in 2013. That would have been class C2 probably. They went on a run of 3 or 4 straight trips to Lincoln after that, though I don't think they were as competitive the following years. That 2013 team was really good.

NP St Pats made a run from 2010-2013 or 2011-2014 where they were in the state tourney 4 years in a row and competed well. I don't think they ever won it but I remember them destroying Ponca one year and then losing a close game to LHNE in the semis.

One year Mike Daum brought Kimball down to Lincoln and they won their first round game, then I think lost to Wayne by a handful. Those who follow college basketball are surely familiar with Mike Daum.

I'm not as familiar with the class D schools at west, but at quick glance of the NSAA website I found the following
-Cody Kilgore won D2 in 2002
-Hay Springs beat St Marys in 2009 and Giltner in 2010 down at state. Class D2
-Mullen won it last year (but again, what do you consider west?) Mullen is definitely not panhandle, but certainly out state Nebraska.
-Bridgeport played Battle Creek to a 5 point game in 2015
-Cambridge won it in 2004
-Dundy County played GACC tough last year.

Not saying the west is "better". Just saying historically there have consistently been teams from the west in all classes that can compete down in Lincoln. This year it looks like there will be fewer teams from the west, and that is fine.
Great points and I appreciate you taking the time to do all the research! I stand corrected, more than 2 teams from the West can COMPETE, only 2 teams can WIN consistently. Some of these examples happened over 15 years ago, and a majority of the examples consist of a West team "playing close" or "competing well" against a school from Eastern Nebraska, not winning. I was at the Bridgeport vs. Battle Creek game in '15 and the Dundy-County vs. GACC game last year. Bridgeport was a good team that year, and yes they deserved to compete in Lincoln. But I'm not really sure that pointing out how the #1 seed Dundy County played the #8 seed GACC tough last year is an advantage for the West. The #8 seed beat the #1 seed, and if anything that should be attributed to the #8 seed.

Not meaning to take any shots at ya hailvictors2, just trying to create something worth reading on the discussion board!

Reactions: hailvictors2
Great points and I appreciate you taking the time to do all the research! I stand corrected, more than 2 teams from the West can COMPETE, only 2 teams can WIN consistently. Some of these examples happened over 15 years ago, and a majority of the examples consist of a West team "playing close" or "competing well" against a school from Eastern Nebraska, not winning. I was at the Bridgeport vs. Battle Creek game in '15 and the Dundy-County vs. GACC game last year. Bridgeport was a good team that year, and yes they deserved to compete in Lincoln. But I'm not really sure that pointing out how the #1 seed Dundy County played the #8 seed GACC tough last year is an advantage for the West. The #8 seed beat the #1 seed, and if anything that should be attributed to the #8 seed.

Not meaning to take any shots at ya hailvictors2, just trying to create something worth reading on the discussion board!
I agree with you. Its nice to have something worthwhile to discuss. One thing I will be interested to see is how well Kearney plays in their district final. Have to win tonight first.

Reactions: sportsjunkie2030
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT