CLASS C

First Round

Battle Creek 43, Milford 32
Minden 63, Fillmore Central 18
Broken Bow 49, Central City 25
St. Paul 44, Wilber-Clatonia 30

=============================

Semifinals
Minden 35, Battle Creek 35 (Minden wins on criteria)
St. Paul 32, Broken Bow 31

Consolation
Milford 53, Fillmore Central 22
Central City 45, Wilber-Clatonia 26

Fifth Place
Central City 38, Milford 31

Third Place
Broken Bow 45, Battle Creek 27

Championship
St. Paul 36, Minden 32

CLASS D

First Round

Sutherland 48, Plainview 27
Burwell 61, Stanton 13
Ravenna 54, Loomis 30
David City Aquinas 59, Neligh-Oakdale 17

Semifinals
Sutherland 39, Burwell 36
David City Aquinas 54, Ravenna 29

Consolation
Plainview 64, Stanton 12
Neligh-Oakdale 54, Loomis 30

Fifth Place
Plainview 40, Neligh-Oakdale 34

Third Place
Burwell 54, Ravenna 27

Championship
David City Aquinas 40, Sutherland 39

Looks pretty clear to me that the duals need to reduce to 6 schools. Great competitions except for the 7th/8th place teams. Now, not having paid attention to the seeding, if those teams weren't (And with the ridiculous points system, they probably weren't) primarily the #7-#8 seeds that would be a problem...

ANYTHING involving the power points needs more than just an "overhaul", but in this case it's especially obvious.
What is your magic solution? Dual wrestling is funky in the way that there is no real set number of duals a team has. We can't use the old way of determining qualifiers based on districts due to state duals being before districts. In other sports, we have power points because nobody else has a better solution and when we bitch about it on the board all there is is complaining without a realistic answer. So bequeath to me your knowledge oh great sage.

What is your magic solution? Dual wrestling is funky in the way that there is no real set number of duals a team has. We can't use the old way of determining qualifiers based on districts due to state duals being before districts. In other sports, we have power points because nobody else has a better solution and when we bitch about it on the board all there is is complaining without a realistic answer. So bequeath to me your knowledge oh great sage.
I'll take a shot....

Having a District Final/Championship, reminiscent of other sports like volleyball or basketball, would be logical and something I would like to see. It would take place on the Thursday before the State Duals. This timing ensures that teams have the opportunity to compete for qualification spots shortly before the state dual tournament.

The top 16 teams would advance based on power points, earned through their performance during the regular season. The same power-point system would be used. A change would be to move the minimum number of dual meets to 8 to ensure qualification for the District Finals. These teams will be seeded from 1 to 16 based on their power points.

The District Final Dual(s) will utilize a single-elimination format. The winner(s) of the District Final will earn qualification spots for the state dual wrestling tournament.

Teams that qualify for the state duals automatically receive a +2-pound allowance as they have competed in the District Final the Thursday prior. This allowance acknowledges their recent participation and allows for a fair adjustment in weight classes for the state duals.

This combined approach ensures that both consistent performance throughout the season and success in the District Final are rewarded. It addresses the concern that the current system may favor teams with favorable schedules rather than the strongest overall teams. By requiring teams to win their way into the state dual wrestling tournament, this proposal ensures that only the most deserving teams advance, resulting in a more competitive and representative tournament.

I'll take a shot....

Having a District Final/Championship, reminiscent of other sports like volleyball or basketball, would be logical and something I would like to see. It would take place on the Thursday before the State Duals. This timing ensures that teams have the opportunity to compete for qualification spots shortly before the state dual tournament.

The top 16 teams would advance based on power points, earned through their performance during the regular season. The same power-point system would be used. A change would be to move the minimum number of dual meets to 8 to ensure qualification for the District Finals. These teams will be seeded from 1 to 16 based on their power points.

The District Final Dual(s) will utilize a single-elimination format. The winner(s) of the District Final will earn qualification spots for the state dual wrestling tournament.

Teams that qualify for the state duals automatically receive a +2-pound allowance as they have competed in the District Final the Thursday prior. This allowance acknowledges their recent participation and allows for a fair adjustment in weight classes for the state duals.

This combined approach ensures that both consistent performance throughout the season and success in the District Final are rewarded. It addresses the concern that the current system may favor teams with favorable schedules rather than the strongest overall teams. By requiring teams to win their way into the state dual wrestling tournament, this proposal ensures that only the most deserving teams advance, resulting in a more competitive and representative tournament.
Can I ask what the top states in wrestling do and why dont we just do that

Our neighbor to the East does this format but takes top 24. 3 teams per "District". Two duals total, seeds 2-3 have a dual, winner advances to the District Final vs #1 seed. Winner(s) of the second dual (district championship) advance to the State Dual Tournament. I think they use a point system or some ranking system to determine top 24 teams per class. I like the fact that they just wrestle to get into the state tournament. Not a points system to solely determine how you get in.

I know this is about the dual tournament, but I’d like to see them seed the individual brackets top to bottom. A lot of state title worthy matches have happened in the semifinals or earlier because of how the seeding is set up now.

I know this is about the dual tournament, but I’d like to see them seed the individual brackets top to bottom. A lot of state title worthy matches have happened in the semifinals or earlier because of how the seeding is set up now.
again why recreate the wheel, the top 10 states in wrestling have something figured out, why not see what they all do

Reactions: Suhisabeast
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT