ADVERTISEMENT

SV Football

They are listed towards the bottom of class D1, so you would think they would still have enough players to field a team.

I know they are winless and have lost by a lot of points, but any idea what the reason might be for canceling the season?

Edit: Nevermind, I see their Facebook post saying due to lack of a ailable players and canceling both varsity and JV.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bubman86
Biggest loser in this whole deal might be St. Pats. This will give them 2 forfeits on the year after Alma previously forfeited against them in week 4. Out of the 6 games St. Pats will play this year, 4 of them are also against division 4 teams, which I am sure their starters didn't see much time deep into the second half. Can put you in a pretty tough spot going into the postseason.

Another ironic part of this, Alma forfeits week 4 vs. St. Pats but is ready to go and drop a 50-0 win against SV in week 5....

Biggest loser in this whole deal might be St. Pats. This will give them 2 forfeits on the year after Alma previously forfeited against them in week 4. Out of the 6 games St. Pats will play this year, 4 of them are also against division 4 teams, which I am sure their starters didn't see much time deep into the second half. Can put you in a pretty tough spot going into the postseason.

Another ironic part of this, Alma forfeits week 4 vs. St. Pats but is ready to go and drop a 50-0 win against SV in week 5....
Trust me I was well aware of that. At least St.Pats has Dundy County and Arapahoe on their schedule. I also know Alma only has around 15 boys on their roster and would have gone to St Pats with around 10 boys available. Sometimes the forfeit is better for both schools.

Dont blame the players that are out The kids doing nothing at those schools
SV has about 51 boys in HS and Alma even more but only 16 play a sport
I’m not blaming the kids that are out. I applaud them for participating. My real question is why are these other boys not playing? Is it coaching? Laziness? Just no desire? I don’t know why but I would love to know why.

I’m not blaming the kids that are out. I applaud them for participating. My real question is why are these other boys not playing? Is it coaching? Laziness? Just no desire? I don’t know why but I would love to know why.
This is becoming a problem in a lot of schools Participation is down in every sport. MY opinion is Parents give their kids a choice. That choice is do nothing or go work hard at a sport, most of these kids are leaving school at 3:30 and just chilling till bedtime doing nothing Most do not have a job or participate in anything, let alone a sport that makes you work

Very unfortunate for the teams in this district. North Platte St. Pats only gets six games this season. Depending on what Alma does in Week 7. This Thursday could be Dundy County Strattons last game until the playoffs if Alma forfeits that one as well.

This is becoming a problem in a lot of schools Participation is down in every sport. MY opinion is Parents give their kids a choice. That choice is do nothing or go work hard at a sport, most of these kids are leaving school at 3:30 and just chilling till bedtime doing nothing Most do not have a job or participate in anything, let alone a sport that makes you work
As a parent I find this mind boggling. I won't let my kid not go out even if he wants to get a job. You have your whole life to work. The things you learn by participating in sports will help you your entire life. Why would you not want that for your kid? It's freaking nuts. I'd rather send my kid off into the world knowing they know the value of hard work and have been coached. Then when they face adversity they don't wind up folding and trying to move back into my basement. Parents are setting their kids up for failure IMO

Alma had 20 suited up against SV last week. SV had 17 suited up. Lots of teams playing with less all over the state. Not sure what their situation it at SV. Both teams look to have good sized kids suited up. I know it sucks to get worked every week, but to me this looks bad.

As a parent I find this mind boggling. I won't let my kid not go out even if he wants to get a job. You have your whole life to work. The things you learn by participating in sports will help you your entire life. Why would you not want that for your kid? It's freaking nuts. I'd rather send my kid off into the world knowing they know the value of hard work and have been coached. Then when they face adversity they don't wind up folding and trying to move back into my basement. Parents are setting their kids up for failure IMO
We had a starter on both sides of the ball play the first game of the year then decided to quit because he wanted to hang out with a friend after school that didn't play football. Parents said that is fine and let him quit. The rest of the team ostracized him in school and won't talk to him. The team is 5-0 going into this week. Very odd

Reactions: huskerfan1414
It's wild that Southern Valley and Alma are both struggling to field teams. But also, these schools know their numbers, it would be beneficial to discuss co-ops in these situations for a few years. SV and Alma would be C1 using the numbers this year, but at least the kids would get to play.

It's wild that Southern Valley and Alma are both struggling to field teams. But also, these schools know their numbers, it would be beneficial to discuss co-ops in these situations for a few years. SV and Alma would be C1 using the numbers this year, but at least the kids would get to play.
Both schools have plenty of boys in school they just choose not to play football.

From what I understand, you would be hard pressed to find two schools that would be less likely to ever consider a co-op than SV and Alma. Think there's still quite a bit of bad blood and hurt feelings about that new school being built for SV.

Looks like Southern just cancelled their game with Thayer Central. Are there any other teams that might be on the brink of ending their season the way that Southern Valley has? Obviously Alma could fall into that list. Any other 8 man schools?

While I don't condone canceling a season or forfeiting games without just cause (school-wide illness, injuries, players quitting the season) What advantage would a school like St. Pat's or DCS gain going into playoffs in a game against a depleted SV or Alma? It would be just like the other games they've played against division 4 teams where their starters (potentially) don't play the running clock second half, putting them in the exact same points position they would be with the forfeits, and likely no better off than getting in good practices as the season winds to a close. Again, I don't think teams should be canceling games and the fines that exist do help mitigate this, but sometimes a good team may be better off not having to play a low-tier opponent and risk significant injuries before playoffs.

While I don't condone canceling a season or forfeiting games without just cause (school-wide illness, injuries, players quitting the season) What advantage would a school like St. Pat's or DCS gain going into playoffs in a game against a depleted SV or Alma? It would be just like the other games they've played against division 4 teams where their starters (potentially) don't play the running clock second half, putting them in the exact same points position they would be with the forfeits, and likely no better off than getting in good practices as the season winds to a close. Again, I don't think teams should be canceling games and the fines that exist do help mitigate this, but sometimes a good team may be better off not having to play a low-tier opponent and risk significant injuries before playoffs.
After 30 years I can tell you kids have not changed near as much as Parents. Parents are the real problem

After 30 years I can tell you kids have not changed near as much as Parents. Parents are the real problem
I agree with this statement but need to add that in some situations the lack of good or even average coaching is a factor. We have some great coaches in our state but we also have some that should never be allowed on the sidelines.

You're definitely not wrong there, I think that there are far too many parents who are too laid back and not encouraging their kids to get out of their comfort zone to do some of these sports. I wish that students had to find at least one school sponsored sport or activity to participate in during the year to gain some of these awesome experiences that we have all seen in some sport or activity ourselves.

I agree with this statement but need to add that in some situations the lack of good or even average coaching is a factor. We have some great coaches in our state but we also have some that should never be allowed on the sidelines.
In terms of this I have unfortunately seen this starting to pop up all over the state in every sport. Poor coaching is certainly turning some students away from sports, and it is hard to fault them too much there when they have a coach who is completely lost on the sidelines or who doesn't know how to treat their players well.

I
You're definitely not wrong there, I think that there are far too many parents who are too laid back and not encouraging their kids to get out of their comfort zone to do some of these sports. I wish that students had to find at least one school sponsored sport or activity to participate in during the year to gain some of these awesome experiences that we have all seen in some sport or activity ourselves.

In terms of this I have unfortunately seen this starting to pop up all over the state in every sport. Poor coaching is certainly turning some students away from sports, and it is hard to fault them too much there when they have a coach who is completely lost on the sidelines or who doesn't know how to treat their players well.
It is a double edge sword because I am not certain kids or parents take accountability or criticism very good any more. I am not familiar with either coach but I will say SV has had few different Football coaches over the last ten years

Reactions: Ruttingbuck
I

It is a double edge sword because I am not certain kids or parents take accountability or criticism very good any more. I am not familiar with either coach but I will say SV has had few different Football coaches over the last ten years
Right, I do not know these particular coaches, just commenting on the overall things I have begun noticing more. Certainly did not mean any slight against SV and their situation.

Just a question and not saying you are wrong....but do you think we are losing some good coaches due to the parents? I believe another reason we are losing good coaches is because of uncoachable kids - mostly due to what they are hearing at home. Now schools are having to settle with coaches that are not as good (or just not as knowledgeable) because the good ones don't want to put up with all the nonsense. JMO

Not at all. High school kids need structure and schedule IMO. Practice all week, play at the end. Unless you have a rash of injuries or sickness going through there is no reason a coach shouldn't want to compete after a week of practice. Even then, use it as a chance to get your young guys in and playing at the varsity level. I don't know one coach that would rather take the forfeit than suit up and have to earn it. Just saying.

100% agree. I saw this last week in person. One thing I always think about. It used to be you needed or were encouraged to get a coaching endorsement along with the education degree. This included Football Theory, BBall Theory, etc. type of classes. Usually taught by the head coach or someone on the coaching staff of the college (small college of course). Now, with the staffing shortages and coaching shortages you become accredited by taking a simple online course. No in-depth teaching of offensive/defensive strategy, play calling, fundamental work, etc. This has to have had an effect of the quality of coaching across the board. Many smaller schools hardly have teachers that coach anymore. The dynamics have totally changed. 20 years ago it was fairly rare for a coach not to be a teacher. So these coaches aren't necessarily involved in the day to day happenings at the school. Have little to no relationship with many of the kids outside of practice, aren't in the loop of grades, discipline, etc. It makes it easier for the kids to not go out or bail if it gets tough if they know they will rarely see the coach. Some kids are the problem, many parents are the problem. Lots of admins that cave to the parents that bitch about the coaches constantly and won't back their coaching staff. You see it all. I'm afraid its gonna get worse before it gets better.

Just a question and not saying you are wrong....but do you think we are losing some good coaches due to the parents? I believe another reason we are losing good coaches is because of uncoachable kids - mostly due to what they are hearing at home. Now schools are having to settle with coaches that are not as good (or just not as knowledgeable) because the good ones don't want to put up with all the nonsense. JMO
I believe parents are a huge issue as well as kids being lazy. I also believe part of the problem is a lack of educators and poor administrations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT