ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Your favorite state tournament games over the last 18 years

northeastNebraska

All-State
Gold Member
Jan 8, 2008
Highway 30
What are some of your favorite state tournament games of the last 18 years? I’ve been going to state basketball since 2002 and I’ll compile my list tomorrow. I just wanted to start this thread before I forgot. I have quite a few and I’ll probably name one from each year.

2002: My first state tournament as a kid. Loved seeing the big crowds from all across the state. A few games I watched...
-Grand Island vs Lincoln Southeast semi final, GI won 43-25. Wes Wilkinson dunked it and I thought he was going to rip the hoop down.
-Syracuse vs Bishop Neumann semi final, Neumann won 78-72 in double OT. That game hooked me on the state tourney.
-Scribner-Snyder vs Mead semi final, Scribner won 64-40, it was a revenge match from a district final. Great game.

2003:
-Lincoln High vs Omaha Westside semi final, Lincoln High won 45-44. Westside had a kid named Seth Sharp, if he would miss a 3 the Lincoln High student section yelled “not so Sharp!” It was amazing. Great atmosphere at the Bob.
-Howells vs Spencer-Naper D1 final. Spencer-Napier wins 32-31 after Howells misses a 3 at the buzzer. Sat front at the Bob for it. Spencer-Naper was legit for a few years in the early and mid 2000’s.

2004:
Shelby vs Omaha Nation first round in Class D1. Omaha Nation has packed 3/4 of North Star. They were the originators of “Rez Ball”. They lost 46-35 to Shelby but it was a great game.

2005:
Bridgeport vs Wakefield first round in C2. Wakefield beat Bridgeport 52-50. Good back and forth game that had some stud athletes like Joel Nixon of Wakefield and Jase Dean of Bridgeport both playing as freshman.

Last edited:
2002 Ralston vs Crete, first round. I was only 9 or 10 at the time so forgive me if I am not correct, but it was a back and forth game and Ralston won it at the buzzer with a shot around half court. I can’t remember exactly where the ball was shot from but I do remember there being about 3 seconds left and Ralston had to go the length of the floor, but Crete decided to go with no pressure on the inbounds pass.

2009 Ravenna vs Freeman, state final. Ravenna led most of the game, but Freeman rallied and took the lead once late and then the Beranek kid hit two deep threes to seal it.

2015 Bago vs Wahoo, first round. Maybe not the most memorable game, but it was my first time seeing Bago and Wingett play. Got a first hand account of “Rez ball”

Reactions: northeastNebraska
I remember Ralston losing on a half court shot at the buzzer. It was in the later 90's and it looked like the game would go to overtime but Beatrice hit a long shot.

The 2016 game between Elmwood-Murdock and Winnebago. I don't think I had ever seen the Devaney center so packed and it was one of the most electrifying high school games I have ever witnessed. Especially since Elmwood upset Bago and nobody thought they really had a chance.

hands down when the panthers beat LNE in i believe 87, thriller of a game, downtown chris price, robo faust the coach was dave oman, classic tilt at the Devaney center, epic game, unreal finish, happy to say i was there

I’ll go ahead and add this years heartbreaker for Crete on my list. Gave York all they could handle and more, but fumbled it away at the end. Incredible game and a great way to start of this years tourney!

Reactions: sportsjunkie2030
Norfolk High vs. Creighton Prep when Brady Lollman hit a layup at the buzzer, and the Omaha Central vs. Lincoln Southeast Semifinal Games in 2010 were very memorable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT