ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball 2021 State tourney talk

northeastNebraska

All-State
Gold Member
Jan 8, 2008
Highway 30

Keep this civil folks...

What’s do some of you think happens here? With this year being so unpredictable, as long as their is a tournament for boys and girls that’s what matters. I hope finals can take place in Lincoln, but if it goes to Omaha for a year, that is understandable. (Lincoln really needs another arena.)

If Lincoln can’t hold it. What I wouldn’t mind would be to start the tourney on a Wednesday. Classes A and B play first an second round games in Omaha, travel/rest Friday and play Saturday in Lincoln at PBA.

Classes C1 and D1 play at Heartland Events Center/Hastings College for two days. Rest/travel Friday, play Saturday at PBA.

Classes C2 and D2 play at UNK/Viaero Center for two days. Rest/travel Friday, play Saturday at PBA.

Yes it will be interesting to see what the NSAA says at their board meeting. I hope they can keep it in Lincoln but it would definitely be interesting to have different classes at various locations similar to what Kansas does.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
This is all a what if scenario and I have no clue in regards to the availability of the gyms/arenas. But if you would/could move it to Omaha here is a thought. Let me know what you all think about this proposition.

Thursday, March 11thCHI HealthBaxter ArenaRalston ArenaCreighton Prep
9:00 AMClass BClass C1Class D2Class D1
10:45 AMClass BClass C1Class D2Class D1
2:00 PMClass AClass C1Class C2Class D1
3:45 PMClass AClass C1Class C2Class D1
7:00 PMClass AClass BClass C2Class D2
8:45 PMClass AClass BClass C2Class D2

Friday, March 12thCHI HealthBaxter Arena
9:00 AMClass C1Class D1
10:45 AMClass C1Class D1
2:00 PMClass BClass D2
3:45 PMClass BClass D2
7:00 PMClass AClass C2
8:45 PMClass AClass C2

Saturday, March 13thChampionship
CHI Health
Third Place
Creighton Prep
9:00 AMClass D1Class D2
11:00 AMClass C1Class D1
1:00 PMClass BClass C2
4:30 PMClass D23:00 PM Class C1
6:30 PMClass A
8:30 PMClass C2

Schedule format for boys and girls will be identical

Tuesday
Two Class B, Four Class A games at Pinnacle Bank Arena

Wednesday
Two Class B, Four Class C1 games at Pinnacle Bank Arena
All Class C2, D1 and D2 games at Lincoln high schools

Thursday
Class C2, D1 and D2 semifinals at Pinnacle Bank Arena

Friday
Class A, B and C1 semifinals at Pinnacle Bank Arena

Saturday
All finals at Pinnacle Bank Arena

I know that this year is an outlier and changes have to be made and they are doing the best they can, but the financial burden this puts on some schools from areas west of Grand Island are tremendous. Possibly having to put a team up in a hotel for up to 4, possibly 5 nights. I don't have a better solution, just is something to think about.

With all of the great venues available in this state it's a shame C2-D2 has to continue playing in HS gyms. I'm sure it won't be any issue this year with the attendance limits, but in a normal year its an embarrassment that they're still using cramped HS gyms with fans missing significant game action while waiting in lines, and then sitting on top of each other.

I know that this year is an outlier and changes have to be made and they are doing the best they can, but the financial burden this puts on some schools from areas west of Grand Island are tremendous. Possibly having to put a team up in a hotel for up to 4, possibly 5 nights. I don't have a better solution, just is something to think about.

Doesn't the NSAA reimburse hotel expenses (at least partially) for state qualifying teams?

Edit: Looked it up. The NSAA reimburses schools at $20 per participant and one coach for lodging using the following criteria:
Will Reimburse Staying Night Before Competing:
- If playing before 10:00 a.m. and 76+ miles away​
- If playing between 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. and 150+ miles away​
- If playing after 3:00 p.m. and more than 250 miles away​
Will Reimburse Staying Night of (still competing in championships)
- If located 76+ miles away​
Will Reimburse Staying Final Night (Day eliminated)
- If playing at 5:00 p.m. or later and located 200+ miles away​
NSAA also reimburses mileage to schools based on the number of participants and one coach. A school's mileage reimbursement is figured using the following formula:

[ (# of miles one-way * # of trips) - 50 miles ] * appropriate amount listed below

$0.85/mile for 1-6 participants/coaches
$1.70/mile for 7-12 participants/coaches
$2.55/mile for 13-18 participants/coaches

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of playing this over 5 days. One of the challenges to all teams in the past of the tournament was playing 3 games over 3 days (if in the championship). Holding it over 5 days allows rest for those teams with smaller benches. I prefer giving the advantage to those teams with the deeper benches by playing the Th-Fr-SAT format.

I'm not a fan of playing this over 5 days. One of the challenges to all teams in the past of the tournament was playing 3 games over 3 days (if in the championship). Holding it over 5 days allows rest for those teams with smaller benches. I prefer giving the advantage to those teams with the deeper benches by playing the Th-Fr-SAT format.

You do realize this is a 1 year deal so that the tournament can be played in Lincoln correct? A lot of people would like the tournament out of high schools, so that would mean the tournament would have to be 4 days using 2 facilities (PBA and Devaney in Lincoln).

Some more insight into the decision

Tickets will be good for one game only. Facilities will be cleared between games. The NSAA is considering selling an all-day pass.

The state tournament has used a three-day format since 1960 and has utilized the Devaney Center since 1976.

NSAA Executive Director Jay Bellar says Grand Island was interested in hosting the tournaments. NSAA did reach out to Omaha but open dates were not as flexible.

Doesn't the NSAA reimburse hotel expenses (at least partially) for state qualifying teams?

Edit: Looked it up. The NSAA reimburses schools at $20 per participant and one coach for lodging using the following criteria:
Will Reimburse Staying Night Before Competing:
- If playing before 10:00 a.m. and 76+ miles away​
- If playing between 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. and 150+ miles away​
- If playing after 3:00 p.m. and more than 250 miles away​
Will Reimburse Staying Night of (still competing in championships)
- If located 76+ miles away​
Will Reimburse Staying Final Night (Day eliminated)
- If playing at 5:00 p.m. or later and located 200+ miles away​
NSAA also reimburses mileage to schools based on the number of participants and one coach. A school's mileage reimbursement is figured using the following formula:

[ (# of miles one-way * # of trips) - 50 miles ] * appropriate amount listed below

$0.85/mile for 1-6 participants/coaches
$1.70/mile for 7-12 participants/coaches
$2.55/mile for 13-18 participants/coaches
I belive the N$AA axed reimbursements for state tourneys for a while due to lost revenues from boys state & spring activities. They may come back in the future from what I understand though. Hopefully by state BB time, but who knows.

I belive the N$AA axed reimbursements for state tourneys for a while due to lost revenues from boys state & spring activities. They may come back in the future from what I understand though. Hopefully by state BB time, but who knows.

I hadn't heard that. The above info came straight from the NSAA 2020-21 Basketball Manual

Edit: Did some further digging on NSAA website......they did suspend championship reimbursements for the 2020-21 school year unless income allows with the priority being on reimbursing mileage.

Reactions: saluno22
They have not axed it. Its still the same

Was Omaha even an alternative option? Sounds like Grand Island was actually the other option. I think they did a pretty good job considering the situation. Omaha's arenas were not going to be available to meet the need for two weeks.

Do we know if third-place games are even happening? If you are trying to save money for the smaller schools, that would do it right there since they are the only classes that play the third-place games. Very few Class A and B teams would require lodging and they are the ones that play Tuesday.

Reactions: saluno22
The NSAA has my support in whatever they decide. While various States all over the country shut down their State Basketball Tournaments a year ago, Nebraska figured it out. Their priority is to have a tournament no matter what it looks like.

The reimbursement issue is simple, if your school needs that $20/player to make it work, then don't go. I am certain that the NSAA would happily take the next wild card team or the District runner up. To me, that is just another thing that complainers will complain about.

I am proud of the job that the NSAA has done through this difficult time.

The NSAA has my support in whatever they decide. While various States all over the country shut down their State Basketball Tournaments a year ago, Nebraska figured it out. Their priority is to have a tournament no matter what it looks like.

The reimbursement issue is simple, if your school needs that $20/player to make it work, then don't go. I am certain that the NSAA would happily take the next wild card team or the District runner up. To me, that is just another thing that complainers will complain about.

I am proud of the job that the NSAA has done through this difficult time.
Sounds similar to football in the fall, but a few teams didn't participate due to having too many COVID cases, so they just took the next team in the wild card.

However, it would be a little interesting for basketball because there is only one wild card in Class A and nowhere else (whereas in football, there weren't any district champions skipping out on the state playoffs). So would be "next-in-line" be the team who lost in the district final to the team opting out of competing at the state tournament? Or would it be the highest remaining team in the wild card standings who didn't qualify for the state tournament?

Basketball is a little different because outside of Class A, it's essentially a 16-team tournament for the rest of the classes under the guise of "district final" games but with re-seeding between the first and quarterfinal rounds.

Was Omaha even an alternative option? Sounds like Grand Island was actually the other option. I think they did a pretty good job considering the situation. Omaha's arenas were not going to be available to meet the need for two weeks.

Do we know if third-place games are even happening? If you are trying to save money for the smaller schools, that would do it right there since they are the only classes that play the third-place games. Very few Class A and B teams would require lodging and they are the ones that play Tuesday.

Per Stu, yes they are.

The NSAA has it worked out for a three-day stay for any team in C-2, D-1 or D-2 that wins its first game, then loses in the semifinal. The third-place games in those classes will be Friday. Only a semifinal winner would stay to Saturday. And Class B’s bracket will be adjusted so any western team would play Wednesday instead of Tuesday.

The full updated schedule is now posted on the NSAA website.

https://nsaahome.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/2021-Basketball-Schedule-NEW.pdf

Personally, I wish they would take the opportunity to do away with the third place games. Half the teams playing in them don't want to be there anyway and it results in a lot of bad games.

South Dakota plays their tournament all the way out to 7th/8th place (every team that qualifies for state is guaranteed three games). Imagine the disinterest in those games?

Reactions: nenebskers
Anyone know if the early rounds of the State games will be televised?

I'm assuming they'll be streamed, but would be nice to watch them on TV...

It’ll be interesting if they are streamed for free this year if they are going to allow fans to attend. Free streaming would take away potential gate revenue. Last year was kind of a “hand forced” situation with no fans outside of family.

I would love to be wrong, but I doubt the games will even be streamed for free this year.

Reactions: T...Chafes
It’ll be interesting if they are streamed for free this year if they are going to allow fans to attend. Free streaming would take away potential gate revenue. Last year was kind of a “hand forced” situation with no fans outside of family.

I would love to be wrong, but I doubt the games will even be streamed for free this year.

Doesn't NFHS own the streaming rights? NCN aired the Devaney games over the air on Thursday/Friday, but the PBA games had to be streamed on NFHS and NCN could not provide the stream. NFHS's site couldn't even handle the number of viewers, as we lost the Friday night Millard North feed.

Doesn't NFHS own the streaming rights? NCN aired the Devaney games over the air on Thursday/Friday, but the PBA games had to be streamed on NFHS and NCN could not provide the stream. NFHS's site couldn't even handle the number of viewers, as we lost the Friday night Millard North feed.

I think NFHS only owns the rights to the championship games. But I could be mistaken.

I think NFHS only owns the rights to the championship games. But I could be mistaken.
I guess I'm assuming the games will be streamed, but whether or not they will be free to view is my question.

NSAA website says streaming will be available for Quarterfinals and Semifinals via the NFHS Network (subscription required).

NET will stream the championship games alongside their live TV broadcast
That's what I figured, thank you for helping me be lazy!

Is there going to be an avenue to pre-order tickets? If everyone goes through the ticket line I would assume there will be plenty of fans turned away? How often do sessions at PBA exceed 6,000, Seems like the class A and B semi final sessions usually get pretty full.

Is there going to be an avenue to pre-order tickets? If everyone goes through the ticket line I would assume there will be plenty of fans turned away? How often do sessions at PBA exceed 6,000, Seems like the class A and B semi final sessions usually get pretty full.

I believe for state volleyball tickets had to be bought ahead of time and online. Assume same will happen for BB.

Pretty sure there will be no tickets at the door. In fact, I bet NSAA events will be online tickets only from now on, virus and post-virus.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT