ADVERTISEMENT

8 man cutoff

I disagree, because this is what the top schools do bud You can do other activities just not from 3:30 to 6pm

I can guarantee you the top 5 schools in C2 all have kids in other activities, and coaches have to work around those activities 2-3 times a season minimum so that they can have their practices and have as many guys there as possible. Small schools rely on kids being involved in multiple activities so the coaches work it out.

I can guarantee you the top 5 schools in C2 all have kids in other activities, and coaches have to work around those activities 2-3 times a season minimum so that they can have their practices and have as many guys there as possible. Small schools rely on kids being involved in multiple activities so the coaches work it out.

And not a new occurrence.

I can remember being one of like 6 players at the start of practice back in the early 2000's, throwing a ball back and forth, waiting for the rest of the team to return from Husker Harvest Days. We started late, ended at the same time as normal, and somehow still managed to be C2 state runner-ups that year despite our lack of focus on just football, a few times each year.

Guess if the bus got back sooner, maybe we'd have won it all.

Reactions: Ruttingbuck
example?

And not a new occurrence.

I can remember being one of like 6 players at the start of practice back in the early 2000's, throwing a ball back and forth, waiting for the rest of the team to return from Husker Harvest Days. We started late, ended at the same time as normal, and somehow still managed to be C2 state runner-ups that year despite our lack of focus on just football, a few times each year.

Guess if the bus got back sooner, maybe we'd have won it all.
Husker harvest days are on a Saturday, so some planning you could of easily started later that day

If anyone wants to know someone that would easily ruin a program...look no further than the NUT on this thread. Yikes!

Reactions: orafino
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Husker Harvest Days run like 3 days? Most FFA/Ag programs attend it during the week I believe as well, not on Saturdays. 20-30 years ago football was king after school and nobody messed with that time slot. At that time Husker Football was King as well, times have changed, if you don't learn to be flexible with your student-athletes it will actually hurt and not help your participation numbers in the long run. Does it make planning practice more difficult, with out a doubt. Especially on Wednesdays when you have to be out by 6:00 for Church Night. Just my view point.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Husker Harvest Days run like 3 days? Most FFA/Ag programs attend it during the week I believe as well, not on Saturdays. 20-30 years ago football was king after school and nobody messed with that time slot. At that time Husker Football was King as well, times have changed, if you don't learn to be flexible with your student-athletes it will actually hurt and not help your participation numbers in the long run. Does it make planning practice more difficult, with out a doubt. Especially on Wednesdays when you have to be out by 6:00 for Church Night. Just my view point.
I do not disagree it is difficult but with planning the conflicts are few to none, but you have to be on top of everything, You have to make it important and think of everything and get your dates out early, but if you the coach do not make it the most important thing, then how do you expect your players too. Its amazing how kids gravitate towards structure and discipline, the more of each with fairness, the more that come out.

Reactions: runningback43
The defending state champs have had several kids on FFA, Quiz Bowl, and One Acts. Every year they move a practice or 2 due to One Acts and Quiz Bowl. It’s not ideal but the coaches work with kids because they push for kids to be involved in multiple activities.
I have seen the same as well, one act practice is after 6:30pm and quiz bow schedules around also

HHD has always been T thru Th. Sure, student-athletes, in this specific example can be back "in time" if they are in relative proximity to Grand Island. Those several hours away, not so much.

I've dealt with a school in the tri city area that didn't even have school on one of the days of husker harvest days because of so many kids being affiliated with it. We had practice in the morning under the lights.

I also was at a school recently in western nebraska that would attend husker harvest days and kids got back after 4:30 (Long trip, 2 hrs).

As much as we wanted to block that time out for just football out west. We found out that other programs in the school also need opportunities to build on.

It's not all about football. I don't have a problem with kids doing multiple things, but I would expect that each program talk with each other by communicating diligently, and problem solving so the best of both worlds can happen.

Reactions: Yossarian23
Not true - the "top" teams don't change their practice time for anyone! 3:30-6 is football and football only - so if you are planning on playing for this team, you will be at practice.
I do not see these concerns ever, just trying to help out on ways to address it so the cocerns do not become an excuse. You remind me of that team that just can not ever win, you got an excuse for everything and reason for every loss that is not your fault. Its funny to keep hearing your what if and well what if this and what if that on and on and on You keep doing your thing and hope it works out for you Good Luck

Last edited:
So to recap, we have taken a thread titled "8 Man Cutoff", migrated to opt down teams (which makes sense) and have pretty much moved on to Husker Harvest Days. Not complaining by any means. Just observing!

So to recap, we have taken a thread titled "8 Man Cutoff", migrated to opt down teams (which makes sense) and have pretty much moved on to Husker Harvest Days. Not complaining by any means. Just observing!
Lol I agree this has went way off topic, but thats what happens if you are searching for excuses, you just wonder around until you find one

I've been coaching for 26 years, we've never moved a practice due to kids missing for another activity. Rarely have I ever had kids miss a practice because of another activity. I've had kids leave early from practice every now and then so they could get to a One-Act practice on a Wednesday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT