ADVERTISEMENT

9 man

nenebskers

All-Conference
Oct 18, 2013
Piggybacking here off the Boone Central thread as that one went away from the original post.

I agree, we will never have four differant formats; 11 man, 9 man, 8 man, and 6 man. Question for you all though. Could we ever see a move from 8 man to 9 man?

Rational being;
1. The schools that really struggle with fielding an 8 man squad, which is a large number IMO, frankly should be in 6 man.
2. The schools that can healthily field an 8 man team could probably handle 9 man.
3. There are many 11 man teams that fit 9 man. Basically the bottom half of C2 if not more.
4. Possible coops. I've said before, do many coops fall apart or never happen because schools are so afraid of moving up a class or moving into 11 man. Would we see more schools willing to coop if the moved up into 9 man instead of 11 man? Assuming here that the coop number would put them into 9 man in most cases.
5. Perception. For whatever reason 9 man seems to have a better perception than 8 man.
6. Appearance. Like perception, the 9 man game resembles football more than 8 man.

Thoughts?

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Piggybacking here off the Boone Central thread as that one went away from the original post.

I agree, we will never have four differant formats; 11 man, 9 man, 8 man, and 6 man. Question for you all though. Could we ever see a move from 8 man to 9 man?

Rational being;
1. The schools that really struggle with fielding an 8 man squad, which is a large number IMO, frankly should be in 6 man.
2. The schools that can healthily field an 8 man team could probably handle 9 man.
3. There are many 11 man teams that fit 9 man. Basically the bottom half of C2 if not more.
4. Possible coops. I've said before, do many coops fall apart or never happen because schools are so afraid of moving up a class or moving into 11 man. Would we see more schools willing to coop if the moved up into 9 man instead of 11 man? Assuming here that the coop number would put them into 9 man in most cases.
5. Perception. For whatever reason 9 man seems to have a better perception than 8 man.
6. Appearance. Like perception, the 9 man game resembles football more than 8 man.

Thoughts?
realistically you asking a state with a deep tradition and belief in 8-man to drop both the tradition and belief and try something they know very little about and something that the major population in the state of Nebraska would now have no one on their borders to play across state Since every state I believe but one who borders us also plays 8-man My thoughts are it is not realistic at all

Reactions: bigred_30
realistically you asking a state with a deep tradition and belief in 8-man to drop both the tradition and belief and try something they know very little about and something that the major population in the state of Nebraska would now have no one on their borders to play across state Since every state I believe but one who borders us also plays 8-man My thoughts are it is not realistic at all
In 2023, there was one team in D1 that played a school from another state (Kansas) and one team in D2 that played a school from another state (Colorado). I think we could overcome those scheduling difficulties...LOL

In 2023, there was one team in D1 that played a school from another state (Kansas) and one team in D2 that played a school from another state (Colorado). I think we could overcome those scheduling difficulties...LOL
this is true but the man reason is still in my first sentence and sorry but it will never ever ever ever happen
realistically you asking a state with a deep tradition and belief in 8-man to drop both the tradition and belief and try something they know very little about and so you will also have no D1 vs D2 you will only have 9-man teams to play and comparing that scheduling problem to 6-man is not a good comparison those teams play 6-man simple because that is their only choice because of enrollment and numbers

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
I don't disagree that it will never ever ever ever happen. That wasn't the reason for the post however. It was to create debate and conversation.

Does anyone else envision Nut as Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino? Everytime I read his posts that's the vision I get. LOL.

There isn't a lot of crossover between Nebraska 8 man schools and other out of state schools. Dundy County Stratton played Julesburg. Alma played Thunder Ridge Kansas. South Dakota plays 9 man, so teams in the northern part of the state could cross the border and play South Dakota schools.

I wouldn't mind seeing Nebraska go to 9 man just because I think it looks more like the 11 man game. In South Dakota they play 9 man on an 11 man field or they can play it on an 8 man field.

Reactions: Ruttingbuck
I don't disagree that it will never ever ever ever happen. That wasn't the reason for the post however. It was to create debate and conversation.

Does anyone else envision Nut as Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino? Everytime I read his posts that's the vision I get. LOL.
LOl. sorry I just dont see it as a reasonable option

Rational being;

Thoughts?
100% agree with everything you said! No reason to keep 8 man, just go 11,9,6 and it will be great, keep 9 man on the 11man field dimensions. Smaller schools that are struggling with C2 can play 9 man and keep the same field they had at C2. Hope the state can make this happen! Drop the tackles and play 9 man!

Reactions: elbens01
Nut is probably going to fall off his chair, but I 100% agree with him. The solution to the issues we discuss here so often isn't shoving massive change down the throats of people who has a deep love/history with 8 man. Honestly, just the change in coaching skills and facility changes that comes with that is prohibitive. People get to do things how they want, and this state wants 8 man.

8 man won't go anywhere in Nebraska. I for one don't really see a need for 9 man but if you turned c-2 into a 9 man division I suppose I could get behind that.

Reactions: Eagle3898
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT