ADVERTISEMENT

Aquinas C2 dominance this year

MH Posse

Freshman
Aug 7, 2011
I have a nephew that plays for Aquinas and they have been a blast to follow this season…some of these stats blew my mind:

-Aquinas has averaged 49 points a game and only given up an average of 5 points a game.

-Opposing offenses have only scored 17 points on the varsity Defense all season. 10 of these points were scored by Scotus who is playing for the state championship in C1, the other 7 was from Hastings SC on an 80 yard TD pass in the semifinal game last week, only points they scored.

-5 shut outs on the season

-Varsity Defense and Offense haven’t played past the middle of third quarter for all but one game this season.

-Running clock in every game this year except Scotus game (35+ plus points and the clock runs)

-This Senior class record since freshman year is 46-5

I haven't watched a ton of C2 games over the years....any Coaches, Parents or fans out there that can compare this team to any others from previous years? I would be curious to hear thoughts on how this team stacks up all time in C2.

Can’t wait to see the Championship game on Tuesday!

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Aquinas is one of the best C-2 teams in the history of C-2 football. The 94 Cambridge team was also spectacular as well as some Grant teams from the early 90's. It would be interesting to see how the 2015 Aquinas team stacked up against that 94 Cambridge team.

Reactions: MH Posse
Aquinas is one of the best C-2 teams in the history of C-2 football. The 94 Cambridge team was also spectacular as well as some Grant teams from the early 90's. It would be interesting to see how the 2015 Aquinas team stacked up against that 94 Cambridge team.
Most amazing stat is 56 on roster, most the schools in C2 don't have 56 boys in high school, 26+ juniors and seniors more than most teams have out for football on the entire roster With those numbers it is set to be successful, next to impossible for any C2 team to compete against that. They will roll OC in Finals

I don't know if this would be considered recent History but the Blue Hill teams competing in C-2 from 2006-2008. Over that three year span here are their statistics:
1) Two class C-2 runner-ups and one C-2 state Championship.
2) 3 year average offensive scoring 30
3) 3 year average defense points allowed 5
4) Average 6 shutouts/year.
5) In 2007 they had 9 shutouts, outscored opponents 31-2
6) Overall record for 3 years 36-3

I can't put Blue Hill in the same category as 2015 Aquinas or 94 Cambridge. If I remember correctly, Wakefield dominated that 07 state championship game and turned the ball over several times.

I can't put Blue Hill in the same category as 2015 Aquinas or 94 Cambridge. If I remember correctly, Wakefield dominated that 07 state championship game and turned the ball over several times.
Cambridge of the mid90s and Grant of the late 80s put up equally as impressive runs as Aquinas

Grant's run might be more impressive than Aquinas. Those kids not only won 3 straight state championships in football but also 2 state championships in basketball and 1 runner-up. The Terwilliger boys were really good on those teams.

Grant's run might be more impressive than Aquinas. Those kids not only won 3 straight state championships in football but also 2 state championships in basketball and 1 runner-up. The Terwilliger boys were really good on those teams.
Every Decade as that team
whats your decade list
80s Falls City SH
90s Cambridge
20s ?? maybe NFC
10s DCAQ
talking just football

I'm only going to list Class C schools.
70's and 80's to me belong to Grant. State titles in 75, 78, 79, 80, 85, 88 and 89. State Runner-up in 84.
90's belong to Cambridge. State titles in 93, 94, 96, 97, 98. Runner-up in 92.
2000's goes to Norfolk Catholic. State titles in 04 and 05. Runner-up in 09.
2010's belong to Aquinas. Titles in 11, 12, 14 and runner up in 13.

If you include 8 man and the upper classes, things would change. In class A for example Creighton Prep was dominant in the 80's with 7 titles. 80, 83, 85, 86, 87, 88, & 89.

Wakefield was excellent in 2006 and 2007. Back to back state champs, combined record of 26-0. A lot of talent that played NAIA and D2. Wakefield deserves more recognition than Blue Hill.

But 2015 Aquinas is on another level. Excellent program and an excellent coach.

I'm only going to list Class C schools.
70's and 80's to me belong to Grant. State titles in 75, 78, 79, 80, 85, 88 and 89. State Runner-up in 84.
90's belong to Cambridge. State titles in 93, 94, 96, 97, 98. Runner-up in 92.
2000's goes to Norfolk Catholic. State titles in 04 and 05. Runner-up in 09.
2010's belong to Aquinas. Titles in 11, 12, 14 and runner up in 13.

If you include 8 man and the upper classes, things would change. In class A for example Creighton Prep was dominant in the 80's with 7 titles. 80, 83, 85, 86, 87, 88, & 89.
Very good list Agree 100%

Reactions: c_broadus
Hats off to them for sure. What they have done on the football field is impressive. They did play and lose to now C1 champions Scotus. All time runs? St. Cecilia graduated a class years ago who left with 10 total state titles. Would be hard for me to believe that isnt a record.

The Blue Hill teams of 06,07 would have gotten beat by 30-40 to this Aquinas team. Wakefield in 06,07 is a much better comparison. This Aquinas team, for what its worth, is the most dominant team I've ever seen in C2, and I have been playing/watching c2 for years. This is the best team I have seen followed by 2006 Wakefield.

This Aquinas team followed by the 13 DT team. I think the 2013 DT team would have beaten that 06 Wakefield team by 21 or more. I don't think Wakefield could stop Doniphan. That was easily the best offense in the history of C2. No team even comes close to them.

Last edited:
This Aquinas team followed by the 13 DT team. I think the 2013 DT team would have beaten that 06 Wakefield team by 21 or more. I don't think Wakefield could stop Doniphan. That was easily the best offense in the history of C2. No team even comes close to them.
Forgot about 2013 Doniphan. You're right about that offense. Unreal balance and explosion for that level of football.

I disagree they beat 06 Wakefield by 21 though. It'd been a hell of a game. Wakefield that season had the most impressive collection of "men" on their line that I have seen in C2. No one could move the ball on those guys. They also had Joel Nixon orchestrating that offense, one of the premier players/winners of that decade.

Also, to say that the 2013 DT offense was by far the best offense ever, and that no one comes close to them is probably not very accurate. They are up their in the elite, but this Aquinas offense averaged more points per game than that team did. Sure, the Doniphan team had some kids put up some crazy numbers, not taking anything away from them. But I'm trying to figure out how their offense is any better than this year's Aquinas group, who basically scored everytime they got the football this season. Hell even their jv's did.

Last edited:
I think the 94 Cambridge team was the best team to ever. Followed by the 2015 Monarchs, and then the 06 Wakefield team. All of these teams beat the 2013 DT team in my opinion.

Forgot about 2013 Doniphan. You're right about that offense. Unreal balance and explosion for that level of football.

I disagree they beat 06 Wakefield by 21 though. It'd been a hell of a game. Wakefield that season had the most impressive collection of "men" on their line that I have seen in C2. No one could move the ball on those guys. They also had Joel Nixon orchestrating that offense, one of the premier players/winners of that decade.

Also, to say that the 2013 DT offense was by far the best offense ever, and that no one comes close to them is probably not very accurate. They are up their in the elite, but this Aquinas offense averaged more points per game than that team did. Sure, the Doniphan team had some kids put up some crazy numbers, not taking anything away from them. But I'm trying to figure out how their offense is any better than this year's Aquinas group, who basically scored everytime they got the football this season. Hell even their jv's did.
Good points. Good conversation. To me, that DT offense was so good because of their balance (which is where I think they are better than Aquinas' offense this year). Doniphan-Trumbull had 2 running backs that were better than anyone else on the field (Slough and Williams), a QB that broke the state record for completion percentage in a season (which has since been broken by Snell of Gibbon this year), and a QB that threw more TD passes than any other C2 QB in state history with 30. No doubt Aquinas offense was incredible this year....they only punted 1 time with their varsity heading into the finals. I just think the balance of that DT team made them better.

All of that said...I think this Aquinas team would have stopped them enough to win if those two teams played. This Aquinas defense was one of the best ever (if not the best). All just opinions based on numbers and observations. Not trying to stir anyone's pot.

Good points. Good conversation. To me, that DT offense was so good because of their balance (which is where I think they are better than Aquinas' offense this year). Doniphan-Trumbull had 2 running backs that were better than anyone else on the field (Slough and Williams), a QB that broke the state record for completion percentage in a season (which has since been broken by Snell of Gibbon this year), and a QB that threw more TD passes than any other C2 QB in state history with 30. No doubt Aquinas offense was incredible this year....they only punted 1 time with their varsity heading into the finals. I just think the balance of that DT team made them better.

All of that said...I think this Aquinas team would have stopped them enough to win if those two teams played. This Aquinas defense was one of the best ever (if not the best). All just opinions based on numbers and observations. Not trying to stir anyone's pot.
I watched Sutton and DT play that year, Dt won 34 to 30 over a Sutton team with only 4 seniors and very few juniors, and I believe sutton was driving for the win in the last seconds and got two holding penalties to kill the drive. I dont think one of the best teams or offenses ever beats a team by 4 with less than 11 juniors and seniors on the entire team. Good team but not even close to best

The amount of seniors on a team is completely irrelevant to the quality of a team. That's the most irrational post ive ever read

It makes no difference how old a player is. A good football player is a good football player. That Sutton team was full of good football players. Contrary to what all of you people with boners for Northeast Nebraska think, there is good football in central Nebraska. And....wait for it.....not all of the players are juniors or seniors

For the record...this 06 Wakefield team that you are obsessing about beat Wayne by 8. Wayne won 2 games that year. Wayne was an absolutely pathetic team that year. Wakefield also beat Creighton 8-3 that year if I remember right. I know it's a holiday....but isn't it a little early to be hitting the spirits?

For the record...this 06 Wakefield team that you are obsessing about beat Wayne by 8. Wayne won 2 games that year. Wayne was an absolutely pathetic team that year. Wakefield also beat Creighton 8-3 that year if I remember right. I know it's a holiday....but isn't it a little early to be hitting the spirits?
okay if so then find a state title team in 11-man with 5 seniors or less and 5 juniors or less Find one let me help you there isnt one they were a good team even top 10 team but proclaiming DT is the greatest offense ever vs this NOT SO

okay if so then find a state title team in 11-man with 5 seniors or less and 5 juniors or less Find one let me help you there isnt one they were a good team even top 10 team but proclaiming DT is the greatest offense ever vs this NOT SO
I don't know that there ever has been, or ever will be a team that wins a state title with 10 upper classmen or fewer. To me, that isn't the point. The point of this thread was to talk about Aquinas' dominance. I think everyone agrees that they are the most dominant C2 team in recent memory, likely history (though someone mentioned the 94 Cambridge team, too). I'm not familiar enough with that Cambridge team to speak on them. I brought up DT because of their offense. Even in the game you are referencing against Sutton they scored 34. I don't think that DT team was necessarily "dominant", but I think they could have scored as many points as they needed against anyone except this years Aquinas team. Just my opinion.

I don't know that there ever has been, or ever will be a team that wins a state title with 10 upper classmen or fewer. To me, that isn't the point. The point of this thread was to talk about Aquinas' dominance. I think everyone agrees that they are the most dominant C2 team in recent memory, likely history (though someone mentioned the 94 Cambridge team, too). I'm not familiar enough with that Cambridge team to speak on them. I brought up DT because of their offense. Even in the game you are referencing against Sutton they scored 34. I don't think that DT team was necessarily "dominant", but I think they could have scored as many points as they needed against anyone except this years Aquinas team. Just my opinion.
Good point, AQ was a very good team Like I said earlier in this post 26+ upper class men in C2 gives you a very very good chance to be great

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT