ADVERTISEMENT

Football Boone Central in 2024

northeastNebraska

All-State
Gold Member
Jan 8, 2008
Highway 30
With Boone Central and Newman Grove's co-op disbanding after this school year, will we see Boone Central fall to the very top of C2 in football for next cycle? Looks like if you take NG's numbers out of the classification number, Boone Central alone would have had 81 boys, which would have put them with Chase County and Wilber-Clatonia as the top 3 schools by enrollment in C2.

Hopefully a lot of years away from this. C1 and C2 have more teams than A and B, yet the idea of combining them comes up on this board religiously. Its an illogical thought.
I see what you are saying but look at D1 and D2 they over 50 teams in a class, yet I bet most feel a D3 is out of the question When a D3 would bring numbers to what we have in C1 and C2

Except that isn't the actual way that it is, C has two classes, not sure why we don't do classification like several other states around us. There's not 4 classes of football, there are 7.
You sure about that This is Iowa classification
5A: Largest 36 schools.

4A: Next largest 36 schools.

3A: Next largest 36 schools.

2A: Next largest 48 schools.

1A: Next largest 48 schools.

A: Remaining 11-player schools.

8P: Schools with classification numbers under 105. Schools granted enrollment exemptions from previous cycle marked with * below. which is an average of 52.5 in just boys enrollment

You sure about that This is Iowa classification
5A: Largest 36 schools.

4A: Next largest 36 schools.

3A: Next largest 36 schools.

2A: Next largest 48 schools.

1A: Next largest 48 schools.

A: Remaining 11-player schools.

8P: Schools with classification numbers under 105. Schools granted enrollment exemptions from previous cycle marked with * below. which is an average of 52.5 in just boys enrollment
oh and PS Kansas has 8 classes of football. Maybe you are talking about other states around us

It's hard enough to make it far in playoffs once every 5-10 years for many schools with the way things are now.

I can't imagine how bad it would be for some small schools if they combined classes. Some schools would never make playoffs... ever.

Need to keep some motivation for the kids to stay in sports.

A third class D would be intriguing. Turn 55+56 into 37+37+37. At that point, do you go to only 16 teams making the playoffs vs having 1-7 and 2-6 teams making the playoffs if taking the top 32 out of 37? 🤔

It would definitely add travel costs if you only played teams in your class.

Looking at enrollment numbers for class D, 47 boys in grades 9,10,11 vs 20 boys is a big difference and 2 classes are needed, imo.

It's hard enough to make it far in playoffs once every 5-10 years for many schools with the way things are now.

I can't imagine how bad it would be for some small schools if they combined classes. Some schools would never make playoffs... ever.

Need to keep some motivation for the kids to stay in sports.

A third class D would be intriguing. Turn 55+56 into 37+37+37. At that point, do you go to only 16 teams making the playoffs vs having 1-7 and 2-6 teams making the playoffs if taking the top 32 out of 37? 🤔

It would definitely add travel costs if you only played teams in your class.

Looking at enrollment numbers for class D, 47 boys in grades 9,10,11 vs 20 boys is a big difference and 2 classes are needed, imo.
IMO 37 teams per class for 8 man football is a little much. If that were to happen, playoffs would have to be 16 teams. (32 is ridiculous right now for D1 and D2. At least call the round of 32 a qualifying round like they did in the 90's.)

I think kids would/could be motivated if the came together with a neighboring community. BRLD did that for a few years and they were pretty successful together with healthy numbers. Schools like Loomis and Bertrand could do great things if they came together.

There are also some schools who could benefit from 6 man if they don't want to consolidate/co-op, but think it might be beneath them.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
I still feel like the state as whole would benefit from these classifications:
A-11 Man
B-11 Man
C1-the rest of 11 man schools
C2- 9 Man-middle to low end of current C2 and top end of D1 schools
D1- 8 Man
D2- 6 Man

With these you would raise the cutoff number for both 8 man and 6 man.

I still feel like the state as whole would benefit from these classifications:
A-11 Man
B-11 Man
C1-the rest of 11 man schools
C2- 9 Man-middle to low end of current C2 and top end of D1 schools
D1- 8 Man
D2- 6 Man

With these you would raise the cutoff number for both 8 man and 6 man.
One issue would be teams that may move from 11 to 9 or from 9 to 8 on a fairly regular basis... What is the field size for 9 man? Some schools have only 80 x 40 fields...

One issue would be teams that may move from 11 to 9 or from 9 to 8 on a fairly regular basis... What is the field size for 9 man? Some schools have only 80 x 40 fields...
I would like to see regular field so it's easier to back and forth from 9 to 11. Some 8 man schools could adjust accordingly.
other issue is teams in 9man woould have huge travel just to fill a regular season schedule
Not if some of the schools who opt down play 9 man or some of the top end D1 schools (Clarkson/Leigh, Cross County, etc.)

I would like to see regular field so it's easier to back and forth from 9 to 11. Some 8 man schools could adjust accordingly.

Not if some of the schools who opt down play 9 man or some of the top end D1 schools (Clarkson/Leigh, Cross County, etc.)
Travel will still be huge because you will not be able to play up or down a class, You will have about 30 schools to choose from for 9 games at max

Might as well play flag football!! It’s going to be in the Olympics!! It’s long past due… enough 8 man and 6 man

Football is crying for contraction of classes like volleyball and basketball. Need to get those back down to four classes first. Football will sort itself out a bit when some schools come to terms with co-ops or 8/6-man. In the short run, more classes is fine to limit huge roster-size disparities that lead to seniors v freshmen happening too much.

Football is crying for contraction of classes like volleyball and basketball. Need to get those back down to four classes first. Football will sort itself out a bit when some schools come to terms with co-ops or 8/6-man. In the short run, more classes is fine to limit huge roster-size disparities that lead to seniors v freshmen happening too much.
Can't wait to have 4 our 5 classes in hoops. Hope it happens soon.

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
Don’t think that’s a good idea, not sure why you’re all bitching about having too many classes, lots of states have way more than 4 so just quit trying to change parts that aren’t broken.

other issue is teams in 9man woould have huge travel just to fill a regular season schedule
Travel wouldn’t be nearly as bad as what you’d think. Definitely would be a lot easier than 6 man currently. And if 6 man teams make it work now why wouldn’t a class of 9 man be able to make it work???
I don’t care what other states do. I think that’s some people’s problem…too worried about what their neighbor is doing they forget about their own problems until it’s too late. Nebraska is different than Iowa, Kansas, South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado, and Missouri. Why compare ourselves to them??? The western side of our state is completely different than the eastern side. Why try to do what Iowa does when Iowa doesn’t have that disparity?

Travel wouldn’t be nearly as bad as what you’d think. Definitely would be a lot easier than 6 man currently. And if 6 man teams make it work now why wouldn’t a class of 9 man be able to make it work???
I don’t care what other states do. I think that’s some people’s problem…too worried about what their neighbor is doing they forget about their own problems until it’s too late. Nebraska is different than Iowa, Kansas, South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado, and Missouri. Why compare ourselves to them??? The western side of our state is completely different than the eastern side. Why try to do what Iowa does when Iowa doesn’t have that disparity?
We do not need the mess of 4 different types of football, it will never ever ever happen and you have to know this.

Reactions: HappyTrail3200
With Boone Central and Newman Grove's co-op disbanding after this school year, will we see Boone Central fall to the very top of C2 in football for next cycle? Looks like if you take NG's numbers out of the classification number, Boone Central alone would have had 81 boys, which would have put them with Chase County and Wilber-Clatonia as the top 3 schools by enrollment in C2.
Will Newman Grove go solo or try to co-op with someone else?

They are cooping with St. Edward.
Nice. I hope that works out.

St Ed has struggled for quite some time and I have no idea what NG brought to the table when they were with Boone Central.

Next big co-op (in that area) could be Humphrey, LHF, St Ed and NG.

Last edited:
Nice. I hope that works out.

St Ed has struggled for quite some time and I have no idea what NG brought to the table when they were with Boone Central.

Next big co-op (in that area) could be Humphrey, LHF, St Ed and NG.
NG had some players when Boone won their state title in 2014.

With LHF going to HSF in 2025-2026, I can’t see it.

Could see Humphrey going that way. Or if I’m Humphrey I make a call to Leigh/Clarkson just to see if they would be interested in co-opting. Would definitely push them to C2 in football so probably won’t happen.

Reactions: HuskerO
NG had some players when Boone won their state title in 2014.

With LHF going to HSF in 2025-2026, I can’t see it.

Could see Humphrey going that way. Or if I’m Humphrey I make a call to Leigh/Clarkson just to see if they would be interested in co-opting. Would definitely push them to C2 in football so probably won’t happen.
I didn't know LHF & HSF were cooping.

How about Humphrey, St Ed and NG?

I didn't know LHF & HSF were cooping.

How about Humphrey, St Ed and NG?
Not really a Coop, The Diocese is forcing LHF to close. LHF on the other hand is trying to do a catholic school away from the Diocese and seeing if it works, I wish them luck.

Reactions: HuskerO
I still think that 9 man is a great transition between 11 and 6 man. You can play it on an 11 man field, and you can play 11 man style ball without the tackles. Class C2 teams often struggle to field 11man teams, so a class they can easily move to makes sense without changing their field and without changing their schemes all that much. 8 man football is a drastic departure scheme wise from 11 man. Nebraska has to get in front of sub 11man football being played by most schools. I'm a tradition guy, but don't see how changing from 8 to 9 destroys that.

Not really a Coop, The Diocese is forcing LHF to close. LHF on the other hand is trying to do a catholic school away from the Diocese and seeing if it works, I wish them luck.
As they should. Their enrollment is next to nothing and HSF is 9 miles down the road with room to take the majority of LHF students.

I will be pretty stunned if LHF is able to pull it off not being associated with the Archdiocese.

I still think that 9 man is a great transition between 11 and 6 man. You can play it on an 11 man field, and you can play 11 man style ball without the tackles. Class C2 teams often struggle to field 11man teams, so a class they can easily move to makes sense without changing their field and without changing their schemes all that much. 8 man football is a drastic departure scheme wise from 11 man. Nebraska has to get in front of sub 11man football being played by most schools. I'm a tradition guy, but don't see how changing from 8 to 9 destroys that.
Totally agree with this. Some people who are die hard 8 man don't want to read a post like this because "8 man has a long standing tradition." 9 man would only help the schools, coaches and kids.

As they should. Their enrollment is next to nothing and HSF is 9 miles down the road with room to take the majority of LHF students.

I will be pretty stunned if LHF is able to pull it off not being associated with the Archdiocese.
My read is that the majority of the kids will end up at Humphrey High…. That will likely change as the years go on and the hurt goes away. Humphrey is actually in a bad spot…. With NG going with St. Ed and Leigh with Clarkson. I don’t know who Humphrey would coop with…. Hell will have to freeze over for the town of Humphrey to be all combined athletically. And Madison will never be an option.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT