ADVERTISEMENT

Boystown v. Ashland-Greenwood 10/17

huskrz

All-State
Jan 2, 2004
Heard some rumblings on this but haven't seen anything on here. Apparently, AG was up with game well in hand and lined up in the victory formation to run out the clock. Instead, they snapped the ball and ran it some 30 yards for a TD with just seconds left. Then recovered an onside kick and tried to throw a bomb or something? I know Coach Kush was livid. They were talking about it on the 590 NEHSFB.com radio show that night.

Anybody here anything?

Hadn't heard anything, but it sounds like they wanted to practice on-sides kicks for future playoff games :)

AGs game plan was to not kick the ball to their deep athletic players - all night long. It bounced away from them and we recovered. Our second QB was in when we ran ISOs twice trying to run out the clock and then scored from the 10. Our coaching staff has pulled our starters early all year, too early several times throughout the year in my opinion, that's what JV games are for.

Jason Nichelson

That is also what I heard from someone at the game. The iso at the end was running out the clock with subs in. They were only up by 14 and it wasn't a fake victory formation play It was a diamond set which can look similar, and is one they often run. The kickoff was a squib that bounced off the returner and some young guy who was subbed in went after the ball like they are all coached to do. The Ashland coaches are great guys who would never disrespect a team like that. Whatever was rumored to be that night is/was completely false.

It wasnt subs because the guy who scored got the NEX player of the week nomination for scoring another touchdown. Why not take a knee with :33 left in the fourth? I get the goal of kicking away from the speed guys in the back but when the front line guy has to fall on the ball at 10 yards it looks like an onside when an AG guys jumps on him too. Just saying....

Nope, not all of them were subs. Some were. I don't believe BT had given up.

I'll pose the question back. Why take a knee instead of running a play?

14 point game does not require subs or taking a knee but generally when a coach has ceased using timeouts that he has and when both team were putting subs in, another play doesnt need to be run. A knee taken and the game ends, its was a great game that was well played and was in doubt still in the 4th quarter so a late TD that had less to do with the outcome and could be interpreted to possible look better in the newspaper and combined with a poorly executed squib kick didnt look that good.

Boys town should look at the dcwest game and then talk about running up the score with starters still in

Seriously, coaches decision in a 14 point game. Coaches are paranoid.. oh by the way did someone say it was a 14 point game?!?!? How about Boys town not stop playing; that's an idea.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT