ADVERTISEMENT

Class D playoff system is the laughing stock

Paxton beat one team and the one team they beat was 1-7 with its only win being a forfeit
they won two games on by forfeit vs teams that were 1-15 and that one win was a forfeit
And Axtell beat a 2-6 Loomis team by 6 points. Again, you are not seeing it any other way. You really believe that Axtell is better than Paxton? The point system put the better team in the play-offs IMO.
BTW Mullen was only up one TD at half last night against Paxton, who won one game and won another game by forfeit.

And Axtell beat a 2-6 Loomis team by 6 points. Again, you are not seeing it any other way. You really believe that Axtell is better than Paxton? The point system put the better team in the play-offs IMO.
BTW Mullen was only up one TD at half last night against Paxton, who won one game and won another game by forfeit.
so your saying a team that won one game and one by forfeit, should get in over a team who won 5 games and your saying the system is great and works great

I saw this post on another board. This is ridiculous.

Class D has been ridiculous for awhile. The first round of playoffs, one higher seed won, one, and that was with BDS not having their QB. 5 games could be considered competitive. The scores of the higher seeds to lower seeds, 821 to 351. That's an average score of 51-22. It's a joke.

Likewise, Class D2, scores 789-271. That's an average score of 49-17.

While we are on the general theme of beating a dead horse... I would like to bring up how private schools have an unfair advantage and recruit. Any takers???

Reactions: Yossarian23

Class D has been ridiculous for awhile. The first round of playoffs, one higher seed won, one, and that was with BDS not having their QB. 5 games could be considered competitive. The scores of the higher seeds to lower seeds, 821 to 351. That's an average score of 51-22. It's a joke.

Great stat. Thanks. Could you do the same for tonight's A,B,C-1,C-2,D6 games? Would be interesting. 51-22 and 49-17 actually seem closer this year than in years past. Not sure on this though.

old codgers like us NE will never understand this very liberal system based out of omaha

what is BDS thinking right now, yes it is a flawed system but why does everyone come on here and bitch about it when you all know it isn't going to be changed anytime soon. I though have to agree you should not get in with a losing record but until it changes this is the way is.

No dog in the fight, but If Class D2's 32, and D1's 29, point difference is bad, what about Class B's 34.25 point difference?

Class C1 was 320 - 106 (26.75 point swing)
Class C2 was 388 - 160 (28.5 point swing)
Class A was 328 - 123 (14.375 point swing)
Class B was 383 - 109 (34.25 point swing)

I would have thought the spread would have been larger for 8-man with twice the number of teams and the discrepancy between the regional #1 and #16 seeds.

While we are on the general theme of beating a dead horse... I would like to bring up how private schools have an unfair advantage and recruit. Any takers???
tenor.gif

I agree the system needs to change but the schools must put forth a plan of action thru there administrators to get it before the NSAA board then everybody including all classes get to vote on it thru there board member or administrator. It is not all up to the coaches. I think the system would be better as follows:
If you win
7-1 get 50pts
6-2 get 49
5-3 get 48
4-4 get 47
3-5 get 46
2-6 get 45
1-7 get 44
0-8 get 43

If you lose to
8-0 get 38 pts
7-1 get 37
6-2 get 36
5-3 get 35
4-4 get 34 pts
3-5 get 33
2-6 get 32
1-7 get 31 pts
This would get all your teams in with winning records first and then place them in better order according to strength of schedule. No bonus points for playing up or down a class. I would not mind going down to 7 regular season games and taking in the top 32 teams to playoffs so the playoff games could go to Friday nights.

I agree the system needs to change but the schools must put forth a plan of action thru there administrators to get it before the NSAA board then everybody including all classes get to vote on it thru there board member or administrator. It is not all up to the coaches. I think the system would be better as follows:
If you win
7-1 get 50pts
6-2 get 49
5-3 get 48
4-4 get 47
3-5 get 46
2-6 get 45
1-7 get 44
0-8 get 43

If you lose to
8-0 get 38 pts
7-1 get 37
6-2 get 36
5-3 get 35
4-4 get 34 pts
3-5 get 33
2-6 get 32
1-7 get 31 pts
This would get all your teams in with winning records first and then place them in better order according to strength of schedule. No bonus points for playing up or down a class. I would not mind going down to 7 regular season games and taking in the top 32 teams to playoffs so the playoff games could go to Friday nights.

Or no bye week and first round of playoffs is everyone else’s week 9.

Basketball and Volleyball both have a better point system. Loss points should be ticked up and the percentages from basketball and volleyball should be used. A team that has a weaker schedule should not be rewarded over a team with a tough schedule. The fact is you need to win games, but a team that won 1 game and got a forfeit should not get in over a 5-3 team with 5 actual wins on their schedule. The point system is always going to seem imperfect, but it is terrible in Class D, and needs improvement in 11 man. Every football team in the state should be under these guidelines. It doesn't make sense that other sports have improved their systems and football has not. My 2 cents is 8 games, no bye weeks, improve the point system and run a 24 team setup for the C1/C2/D1/D2/D6. Top 8 get a bye first week as a reward for a great season. Class A/B just don't have enough teams for this setup, so they can do their own thing with playoff format.

Reactions: runningback43
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT