ADVERTISEMENT

Football ****CLASS D2 PLAYOFF BRACKET****

Alum-Ni

All-State
Gold Member
Aug 29, 2004
After the first round, the 16 remaining teams will be re-seeded into one bracket.

EAST
#1 Howells-Dodge (8-0)
#16 Creighton (4-4)

#8 Humphrey St. Francis (5-3)
#9 Falls City Sacred Heart (4-4)

#4 Bloomfield (7-1)
#13 Humphrey/Lindsay Holy Family (5-3)

#5 Johnson-Brock (7-1)
#12 Wausa (5-3)

#3 Bruning-Davenport/Shickley (8-0)
#14 Nebraska Lutheran (5-3)

#6 Osceola (7-1)
#11 Fullerton (4-4)

#7 Lawrence-Nelson (7-1)
#10 Nebraska City Lourdes (4-4)

#2 Wynot (7-1)
#15 Winside (4-4)

===============================

WEST
#1 Hitchcock County (8-0)
#16 Maywood/Hayes Center (4-4)

#8 Kenesaw (7-1)
#9 South Loup (5-3)

#4 Dundy County-Stratton (7-1)
#13 Axtell (4-4)

#5 Elm Creek (7-1)
#12 Mullen (4-4)

#3 Ainsworth (8-0)
#14 Loomis (3-5)

#6 Central Valley (7-1)
#11 O'Neill St. Mary's (6-2)

#7 Twin Loup (6-2)
#10 Elgin/Elgin Pope John (6-2)

#2 Sandhills/Thedford (7-1)
#15 Hyannis (4-4)

• Love
Reactions: TwinsRRUs
Class D2:
  • Howells-Dodge (8-0), 45.7500
  • Hitchcock County (8-0), 45.3750
  • Wynot (7-1), 44.3750
  • BDS (8-0), 44.2500
  • Sandhills/Thedford (7-1), 43.7500
  • Bloomfield (7-1), 43.5000
  • Ainsworth (8-0), 43.3750
  • Dundy County Stratton (7-1), 43.1250
  • Johnson-Brock (7-1), 43.0000
  • Osceola (7-1), 42.6250
  • Elm Creek (7-1), 42.6250
  • Central Valley (7-1), 42.6250
  • Lawrence-Nelson (7-1), 42.3750
  • Twin Loup (6-2), 42.0000
  • Kenesaw (7-1), 41.7500
  • South Loup (5-3), 41.0000
  • Humphrey St. Francis (5-3), 41.0000
  • EPPJ (6-2), 40.8750
  • St. Mary's (6-2), 40.5000
  • Falls City Sacred Heart (4-4), 40.2500
  • Lourdes Central Catholic (4-4), 39.6250
  • Wausa (5-3), 39.5000
  • Fullerton (4-4), 39.5000
  • Humphrey/Lindsay Holy Family (5-3), 39.1250
  • Mullen (4-4), 39.1250
  • Axtell (4-4), 38.7500
  • Nebraska Lutheran (5-3), 38.3750
  • Winside (4-4), 38.2500
  • Creighton (4-4), 38.1250
  • Hyannis (4-4), 37.7500
  • Loomis (3-5), 37.7500
  • Maywood-Hayes Center (4-4), 37.6250

I'm curious to see if Maywood has enough players to go to Hitchcock County this time. :cool:
Maywood probably wouldn’t because they are with Hayes Center. If you have no clue as to the reasons why that game was not played, keep the comments to yourself. Some of the dialogue on here is a complete waste of energy by some, reminds me of the Big Red call in show postgame with the guys living in their mom’s basement. People need to be realistic, sometimes it is in the mindset of student safety.

Reactions: Ruttingbuck
Maywood probably wouldn’t because they are with Hayes Center. If you have no clue as to the reasons why that game was not played, keep the comments to yourself. Some of the dialogue on here is a complete waste of energy by some, reminds me of the Big Red call in show postgame with the guys living in their mom’s basement. People need to be realistic, sometimes it is in the mindset of student safety.
Everyone knows why Maywood didn't play that game. Perhaps the info that was transmitted from the Maywood kids wasn't accurate. I think it was. Again, just curious to see if Maywood has enough kids to play the game...

Right, I’m sure they just didn’t want to join the other teams getting beat 70-0. Nothing to see here 🙄

Maywood/Hayes Center lost 18 games in a row and were beaten soundly in most of those games. To say that they were afraid to lose 70-0 is pure stupidity. They had less than 10 healthy kids the day they were suppose to play Hitchcock County and that’s why they didn’t play!

Reactions: j3800
Maywood/Hayes Center lost 18 games in a row and were beaten soundly in most of those games. To say that they were afraid to lose 70-0 is pure stupidity. They had less than 10 healthy kids the day they were suppose to play Hitchcock County and that’s why they didn’t play!
This had nothing to do with their 18 game losing streak and losses of 70. It has everything to do with players mouths running, stating they were going to beat a certain team….. decided not to play said team when came down to it. The words…..but wait til basketball season and but look who transferred to our school blah blah blah. If only you knew the inside story. It will be a great game Thursday, sounds like they are all healthy this week, and ready to start basketball practice next week. 😎

This had nothing to do with their 18 game losing streak and losses of 70. It has everything to do with players mouths running, stating they were going to beat a certain team….. decided not to play said team when came down to it. The words…..but wait til basketball season and but look who transferred to our school blah blah blah. If only you knew the inside story. It will be a great game Thursday, sounds like they are all healthy this week, and ready to start basketball practice next week. 😎
Players can run their mouths as much as they want but that doesn’t determine if the game is going to get played or forfeited! I am pretty sure the coaches weren’t talking like that and they make the decision on playing or forfeiting! The numbers were too low to play anybody that week. I have a a good of a source to this as anybody!

Reactions: C-Bearsfan
Players can run their mouths as much as they want but that doesn’t determine if the game is going to get played or forfeited! I am pretty sure the coaches weren’t talking like that and they make the decision on playing or forfeiting! The numbers were too low to play anybody that week. I have a a good of a source to this as anybody!
Actually, two of the MH assistant coaches know one of the the HC assistant coaches and early in the season they were talking $hit to that HC assistant coach in a somewhat fun way saying they had too much speed for HC and would run all over them.

MH forfeited on a Monday, so it's hard saying how many players were available 4 days later when the game was scheduled.

Injuries or not, the game was forfeited and upsets happen all the time, so HC better go into this game with the same attitude they played 5 of their 6 games with be ready to play tough, sound defense.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: C-Bearsfan
Actually, some of the MH assistant coaches know the HC assistant coaches and early in the season they were talking $hit to HC assistant coaches in a somewhat fun way saying they had too much speed for HC and would run all over them.

Injuries or not, the game was forfeited and upsets happen all the time, so HC better go into this game with the same attitude they played 5 of their 6 games with be ready to play tough, sound defense.
Hitchcock County will run clock on this one. The Kramer kid will cause them few headaches and without him M-HC is probably a 1-2 win team. Hitchcock is as physical and sound team as there is in 8man. I'm sure they are licking their chops for this one after what little I had heard about the "forfeit" game. Reliable source I heard it from said M-HC had 17 to suit up when they forfeited the game. I get Med Valley. They started out with only 12 so numbers were going to be an issue for them all season. M-HC has 20 on their roster.

10000% agree, but after the recent transfer of a certain student from Med Valley to Maywood, the relationship between the two districts is more fractured than ever.
Just like Culbertson and Trenton, if Curtis and Maywood joined, they would eventually get along... But it might take a generation of kids going through the combined school system before the older alumni that have the issue get over it or just aren't part of the school system any longer.

Kramer transferring makes sense for himself as MH will have a tall, good bball team that should go to state. If I was them, I wouldn't care so much about football this year as basketball. They lost out on getting another good tall player from McCook last year, which would have made them even better this year.

10000% agree, but after the recent transfer of a certain student from Med Valley to Maywood, the relationship between the two districts is more fractured than ever.
Which is schoolyard bs. That is so asinine.

I know no one agrees with me on this. But the state needs to do something over a 5-10 year period to force consolidations. Give schools time to come up with a plan how they will boost enrollment or here is the plan to merge with the district 8 miles down the road that is similar size.

With the teaching shortage, the declining rural population, it's not fiscally smart to keep some these schools open. Especially situations like Maywood-Med Valley, Scribner-Snyder-Logan View, Wausa-Bloomfield, Creighton-Plainview, Randolph-Osmond, I could go on. Having 35-40 kids per graduating class is not a bad thing.

Hitchcock County will run clock on this one. The Kramer kid will cause them few headaches and without him M-HC is probably a 1-2 win team. Hitchcock is as physical and sound team as there is in 8man. I'm sure they are licking their chops for this one after what little I had heard about the "forfeit" game. Reliable source I heard it from said M-HC had 17 to suit up when they forfeited the game. I get Med Valley. They started out with only 12 so numbers were going to be an issue for them all season. M-HC has 20 on their roster.
They had less than 10 at practice the Thursday they were suppose to play the game. You won’t have a more reliable source than me! Period

The fact is, if Maywood and Med Valley combined next year, the kids would get along just fine. It's the parents and grandparents that can't handle it. The problem is, small towns can't lose their schools to forced consolidations. In most small towns if you close your school the next things to go are going to be your downtown businesses and soon your residents. That's why they fight to stay open.

As far as the May-Hay forfeit, if they did have enough kids to play, most were probably freshmen and sophomores. May-Hay's head coach knows that it is unfair and unsafe to send those kids out there against a talented and physical Hitchcock team. I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision, but one that had to be made. Plus, if you have watched any Hitchcock games, they still have their starters in the game late in the third quarter and beyond of blowouts against overmatched teams. To an extent this coaching style didn't help the situation.

As for MHC assistant coaches trash talking early in the season, there is NO way that happened unless it was taken more seriously than intended.

Last edited:
The fact is, if Maywood and Med Valley combined next year, the kids would get along just fine. It's the parents and grandparents that can't handle it. The problem is, small towns can't lose their schools to forced consolidations. In most small towns if you close your school the next things to go are going to be your downtown businesses and soon your residents. That's why they fight to stay open.
Yep, very hard on small towns and their futures, especially with local small businesses and low populations.

In Hitchcock County, Stratton and Trenton were already combined for sports and they went together with Culbertson and shut down Culbertson's high school, only for Stratton to decide to leave and go with Dundy County 2 years later.

Many Culbertson alumni decided to not support the combined county school, but in another 10 years or so, the next generation of parents will have graduated from the combined school and hopefully the past will be the past.

Plus, if you have watched any Hitchcock games, they still have their starters in the game late in the third quarter and beyond of blowouts against overmatched teams. To an extent this coaching style didn't help the situation.
100% true for most games.

As for MHC assistant coaches trash talking early in the season, there is NO way that happened unless it was taking more seriously than intended.
2 of the MH asst coaches that know 1 of the HC asst coaches and it probably was not meant to be serious at all. Had to be friendly $hit talking amongst acquaintances.

Maywood hardly has anything in town right now. The Co-Op would stay, so would the elevator and one gas station. It has a population of 261. These towns that say that, have been losing people for decades. Keeping the school isn't going to save Maywood, because people are still leaving. If a younger family wants to move back to the area, and want to live in a smaller community, Curtis is the answer. Or they just move to North Platte. Small towns are haves and have nots. Some will make it, some won't.

Yep, very hard on small towns and their futures, especially with local small businesses and low populations.

In Hitchcock County, Stratton and Trenton were already combined for sports and they went together with Culbertson and shut down Culbertson's high school, only for Stratton to decide to leave and go with Dundy County 2 years later.

Many Culbertson alumni decided to not support the combined county school, but in another 10 years or so, the next generation of parents will have graduated from the combined school and hopefully the past will be the past.
Was that Lakeside Central? (Trenton, Culberston and Stratton?)

I always thought it was odd Stratton was included in with Dundy, being in Hitchcock County.

Maywood hardly has anything in town right now. The Co-Op would stay, so would the elevator and one gas station. It has a population of 261. These towns that say that, have been losing people for decades. Keeping the school isn't going to save Maywood, because people are still leaving. If a younger family wants to move back to the area, and want to live in a smaller community, Curtis is the answer. Or they just move to North Platte. Small towns are haves and have nots. Some will make it, some won't.
Not to mention that Maywood already busses kids to and from North Platte everyday.

Was that Lakeside Central? (Trenton, Culberston and Stratton?)

I always thought it was odd Stratton was included in with Dundy, being in Hitchcock County.
Yes, Lakeside Central was only Trenton and Stratton. The Stratton elementary closed this year after only having around 10-14 kids total last year. Many of the Stratton kids go to Hitchcock County already. It was a bad decision for a coop and many of the promises went unfulfilled. I would guess they drop the S in the next couple years from DC.

They had less than 10 at practice the Thursday they were suppose to play the game. You won’t have a more reliable source than me! Period
Kids unwilling to practice isn't remotely the same thing as being able to practice. Having a dislocated, hyper-extended, pinky hangnail can keep a player out if that's what the goal is. This is silly. The rash of injuries for a specific game, and the miraculous recovery of said athletes, probably isn't convincing to anyone not from Maywood. And, talking to folks from there, not even them. I, honestly, could care less what Maywood decides on any given issue. But do not pee on my shoes and expect me to call it an rain shower. No doubt this will help them be a lot more resilient when it comes to playing through hoops injuries...

Honestly more people would live in the district if they could find affordable housing. A lot of people are trying to move out of North Platte and commute right now. My wife and I were lucky to find the place in Wellfleet that we did.

Anyways, does anyone have thoughts on the actual D2 bracket? Pretty intriguing class if you ask me. There is going to be some great second round matchups given the depth of D2.
It's such a loaded class. 14 teams with 7-1 or 8-0 records.

Games that intrigue me in the substate round of 32...

#5 Elm Creek vs #12 Mullen: Mullen and Elm Creek both played Twin Loup to a similar score, the Broncos are always tough.

#11 St. Mary's vs #6 Central Valley: Both teams ended their regular season with big wins, CV over Twin Loup, St.Mary's over EPPJ. Should be a close one.

#9 FCSH vs #8 HSF: Two of the best programs in the state facing each other in a first round playoff game. They've played each other a lot in the quarters and semi's, but never the first round.

Anyways, does anyone have thoughts on the actual D2 bracket? Pretty intriguing class if you ask me. There is going to be some great second round matchups given the depth of D2.
HD will probably go all the way. Tough team.

HC could make it to Lincoln, depending on how well they match up against teams the next few weeks. Best team HC has ever had by far.

Wynot is a pretty good team. I could see them making it to Lincoln for a rematch with HD.

Teams #4 - 13 will all be tough outs.

my take after the first round and reseed, bold is predicted winners of second round

1 - howells/dodge
16 - south loop

9 - johnson brock
8 - dcs

5 - sandhills/thedford
12 - central valley

13 - lawrence/nelson
4 - BDS

3 - wynot
14 - twin loop

11 - osceola
6 - bloomfield

7 - ainsworth
10 - elm creek

15 - HSF
2 - Hitchcock County

Last edited:

I know no one agrees with me on this. But the state needs to do something over a 5-10 year period to force consolidations. Give schools time to come up with a plan how they will boost enrollment or here is the plan to merge with the district 8 miles down the road that is similar size.

With the teaching shortage, the declining rural population, it's not fiscally smart to keep some these schools open. Especially situations like Maywood-Med Valley, Scribner-Snyder-Logan View, Wausa-Bloomfield, Creighton-Plainview, Randolph-Osmond, I could go on. Having 35-40 kids per graduating class is not a bad thing.
I don't (personally) believe it is a situation in which nobody agrees with you. I think most people agree that there should be a consolidation plan in place.

The people making the decision to keep the small enrollment schools open are the same people paying the bills. The State has no say in the matter. The State isn't funding these schools. The local tax payers are funding the schools and if they want a school in their community, they will have one.

Great class. Howells-Dodge over Hitchcock Co in a game that is more competitive than some may think. Hitchcock is the only team that can somewhat match the physicality of Howells.
I think the obvious finals pick would be Howells-Dodge vs Hitchcock County. But anything can happen when there are 15-16 very good teams. Pry the deepest D-2 has ever been.

I'm curious to see which teams make quarters and semis. There will be alot of good games next week 2nd round.

Semis prediction-
Howells- Dodge vs. BDS
Osceola vs. Hitchcock County

Sleepers- Ainsworth, Johnson-Brock, Central Valley

this is Howells Dodge to lose, they win the thing if they don't all get sick or something strange happens. they are a class above the rest.

this is Howells Dodge to lose, they win the thing if they don't all get sick or something strange happens. they are a class above the rest.
I would have to agree with this but as a fan of 8 man football for 20+ years, I have not seen many d2 teams with 7 solid seniors as Hitchcock has. Howells/Dodge seems to always have the same 4 - 5 last names every year and they are always as good as the previous with the name. They are deeper than Hitchcock but you have to hope they don't get complacent and think as many do about it being a cakewalk. BDS is also a very physical team with lots of experience on the field. I would like to see Ainsworth make it deep but I believe they rely too much on one player and a solid team can defeat that. Wynot and Osceola have played solid against pretty solid competition and could be playing in Lincoln just as easy as anyone else. This is definitely one of the most diverse and deep field d-2 has witnessed in a long time. Remember many of these teams were close to the top or at the top of d-1 last year. Tons of fun and excitement in these playoffs.

my take after the first round and reseed, bold is predicted winners of second round

1 - howells/dodge
16 - south loop

9 - johnson brock
8 - dcs

5 - sandhills/thedford
12 - central valley

13 - lawrence/nelson
4 - BDS

3 - wynot
14 - twin loop

11 - osceola
6 - bloomfield

7 - ainsworth
10 - elm creek

15 - HSF
2 - Hitchcock County
How do you figure South Loup lower seed than HSF when they are currently tied in points and SL has Kenesaw? Just curious. Pretty spot on assessment though. I think Osceola is going father than you think.

How do you figure South Loup lower seed than HSF when they are currently tied in points and SL has Kenesaw? Just curious. Pretty spot on assessment though. I think Osceola is going father than you think.
I will go howells dodge by 20 in title game

Hsf had a win over tier 1 team, south loop did not. I think kenesaw loses to them, just a guess but kenesaw played no one this year. I think south loop could be the bracket buster so I chose them

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT