ADVERTISEMENT

Class D2 Rankings week 3 thoughts

Antone13

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2013
#1 Howells Dodge until they get beat has to be #1 team in state. They dont rebuild they reload
#2 South Loup I like there win in week 1 over a good Elm Creek team. Big game week 4
#3 Dundy County Straton 2 good wins over solid teams
#4 Osceola may have the best underclassman player in D2 but need to see what the rest of the team can do
#5 Bloomfield I know they lost to a rival but Crofton is good and maybe a top 5 D1 schools and Bloomfield wont get tested again until they play Wynot the last game of the year
#6 Sandhills Thedford 2 good wins over 2 good teams. Week 4 is a big game with South Loup whoever wins that game will be #2 team in state.
#7 Wynot had a big win over Humphrey St. Francis and another tough game this week with #1 Howells Dodge
#8 Central Valley They have 2 good wins and there schedule has alot of solid teams on it so if they keep winning they will keep moving up the board
#9 Johnson Brock 2 wins over D1 schools that are both 1-1 Weeks 4, 5, and 6 will really tell how good of a team they are.
#10. There are a long list of teams I would put here: Humphrey St. Francis but they are young, Ainsworth but I dont know what they have besides Carter Nelson, Lawrence Nelson with big win over FCSH, BDS is 2-0 and the list goes on
Thoughts from others around D-2

Bloomfield will bounce back. Their game against Wynot will really tell which team is the real deal this year. H-D is going to be good year in and year out regardless of who they have on the field, the coaches they have and their culture is unmatched. I have a feeling Osceola will be a bust. Saw them at camp during the summer so for what it’s worth I’m not sure if their whole team was there or not but not overly impressed. Central Valley is fine being overlooked but they’ll prove themselves late in the season. Ainsworth will be a solid team. They had success last year and keep hearing from people that Carter Nelson isn’t even the best player on that team. If they all stay healthy I could see them being a quarterfinals team at least.
Don’t know the other teams that well enough to comment on them.

Bloomfield will bounce back. Their game against Wynot will really tell which team is the real deal this year. H-D is going to be good year in and year out regardless of who they have on the field, the coaches they have and their culture is unmatched. I have a feeling Osceola will be a bust. Saw them at camp during the summer so for what it’s worth I’m not sure if their whole team was there or not but not overly impressed. Central Valley is fine being overlooked but they’ll prove themselves late in the season. Ainsworth will be a solid team. They had success last year and keep hearing from people that Carter Nelson isn’t even the best player on that team. If they all stay healthy I could see them being a quarterfinals team at least.
Don’t know the other teams that well enough to comment on them.
I think that Bloomfield loss looks worse because crofton was a little under the radar to start the season, and the fact that bloomfield couldnt muster any points on offense is very bad. The week 8 vs Wynot should be like their games last year where they split the series and were very entertaining games. Thats a bold take saying the 4 star who scores so far this season almost every time he touches the ball isnt the best player on the team. Im curious if that means its Appelt the other big guy, or McNally the QB. McNally is clearly the better basketball player in the school. I wish Ainsworth would be tested even a little bit in the regular season.

Reactions: nenebskers
Ainsworth will be a solid team. They had success last year and keep hearing from people that Carter Nelson isn’t even the best player on that team. If they all stay healthy I could see them being a quarterfinals team at least.

Anyone who suggests Carter Nelson isn't the best player on that team is either blind, dumb, functionally special, or just lying. He's not just the best player on that roster, he's the greatest 8-man Football Player in Nebraska High School Football history.

Ainsworth does have a lot of team speed and really good skill talent besides Nelson. But he's the catalyst, and they are able to do so many creative things offensively because the whole offense is centered around him.

I would also point out that Ainsworth is dramatically improved from last season, on both sides of the football. I think the spotlight garnered by a player like Nelson has changed the way the rest of the players prioritized their off seasons.

That team looks bigger, stronger, well conditioned, and the overall execution has been exceptional.

Has the competition been pretty bad? Sure, but they also could've hung 100 on both teams without much hesitation.

Anyone who suggests Carter Nelson isn't the best player on that team is either blind, dumb, functionally special, or just lying. He's not just the best player on that roster, he's the greatest 8-man Football Player in Nebraska High School Football history.

Ainsworth does have a lot of team speed and really good skill talent besides Nelson. But he's the catalyst, and they are able to do so many creative things offensively because the whole offense is centered around him.

I would also point out that Ainsworth is dramatically improved from last season, on both sides of the football. I think the spotlight garnered by a player like Nelson has changed the way the rest of the players prioritized their off seasons.

That team looks bigger, stronger, well conditioned, and the overall execution has been exceptional.

Has the competition been pretty bad? Sure, but they also could've hung 100 on both teams without much hesitation.
Stop it. He is not. He is not in the conversation. He is the most highly recruited 8 man player in Nebraska History. Saying he is the greatest, two games into his senior season, is just ignorant. If he puts up stupid stats and Ainsworth wins the state title, then maybe he can get into the conversation. Until then lets just enjoy him as a great player on a team that most likely wont get tested until the playoffs

Stop it. He is not. He is not in the conversation. He is the most highly recruited 8 man player in Nebraska History. Saying he is the greatest, two games into his senior season, is just ignorant. If he puts up stupid stats and Ainsworth wins the state title, then maybe he can get into the conversation. Until then lets just enjoy him as a great player on a team that most likely wont get tested until the playoffs
Don't disagreeing, just made me curious. Who are the best?

Don't disagreeing, just made me curious. Who are the best?

Several choices in here

Reactions: LTFO
Could make a strong argument he's not a top 50 8-man player. Special athleticism, but we've seen many players carry their teams through the playoffs and he hasn't been one of them. Not yet. Drew Ott is the best 8-man player of all time imo.

Could make a strong argument he's not a top 50 8-man player. Special athleticism, but we've seen many players carry their teams through the playoffs and he hasn't been one of them. Not yet. Drew Ott is the best 8-man player of all time imo.
This gives me an idea... a new thread of the greatest 8-man players of all time. I am on it!

Reactions: Power_I_82
He's already putting up stupid stats. In fact, his stats are LITERALLY unprecedented in State History.

Nelson is on pace to finish his high school career with 30+ passing TDs, 30+ rushing TDs, and 40+ Receiving TDs. Nobody in Nebraska High School Football history, regardless of class, has EVER surpassed 10+ in all 3 categories.

Cory Eikmeier scored 143 career touchdowns for Dodge back in the late 90s. That's incredible. They were all rushing TDs.

Scott Frost holds the all time state record with 146 career TD's. He never caught a single TD pass in his career.

And while football is definitely a team sport, I don't believe Ainsworth needs to win a state title for Nelson to be considered the GOAT.

He's already putting up stupid stats. In fact, his stats are LITERALLY unprecedented in State History.

Nelson is on pace to finish his high school career with 30+ passing TDs, 30+ rushing TDs, and 40+ Receiving TDs. Nobody in Nebraska High School Football history, regardless of class, has EVER surpassed 10+ in all 3 categories.

Cory Eikmeier scored 143 career touchdowns for Dodge back in the late 90s. That's incredible. They were all rushing TDs.

Scott Frost holds the all time state record with 146 career TD's. He never caught a single TD pass in his career.

And while football is definitely a team sport, I don't believe Ainsworth needs to win a state title for Nelson to be considered the GOAT.
While those numbers are extremely impressive with his physical traits and abilities I will be quite honest i was not impressed defensively last year. I agree that how your team doesnt shouldnt be the main factor in who is the GOAT, however, I do believe being dominant on both sides of the football does. Nelson has the build and the ability to dominate both sides of the ball, but doesnt. Theres been several in the past who have. If we are going off of just overall career production you should probably bring up the fact that Aiden Kuester last year beat Scott frost and many others nationally for most career yards and hes playing defense in college this year. Im sorry I really like Carter as a recruit and athlete and what his recruitment has done for 8-man football and the entire Ainsworth team reviving a program, but I dont think I would even put him over Aiden in the GOAT discussion yet.

While those numbers are extremely impressive with his physical traits and abilities I will be quite honest i was not impressed defensively last year. I agree that how your team doesnt shouldnt be the main factor in who is the GOAT, however, I do believe being dominant on both sides of the football does. Nelson has the build and the ability to dominate both sides of the ball, but doesnt. Theres been several in the past who have. If we are going off of just overall career production you should probably bring up the fact that Aiden Kuester last year beat Scott frost and many others nationally for most career yards and hes playing defense in college this year. Im sorry I really like Carter as a recruit and athlete and what his recruitment has done for 8-man football and the entire Ainsworth team reviving a program, but I dont think I would even put him over Aiden in the GOAT discussion yet.

Considering Aiden Kuester can't get on the field this year for Chadron State, I guess the Chadron State coaches disagree with you.

Considering Aiden Kuester can't get on the field this year for Chadron State, I guess the Chadron State coaches disagree with you.
Your arguement for Carter was the sheer numbers (TDs not yards), Aiden has those that Carter will never come CLOSE to touching. And Aiden isnt even who I would put at number one. I do agree with you in the aspect that Carter is WAY higher than top 50. Depending how he does this season if he keeps on the trajectory he is at he should be top 5. Can't count the chickens before they hatch. Also cant count college vs high school when we are discussing specifically 8 man high school athletes.

Your arguement for Carter was the sheer numbers (TDs not yards), Aiden has those that Carter will never come CLOSE to touching. And Aiden isnt even who I would put at number one. I do agree with you in the aspect that Carter is WAY higher than top 50. Depending how he does this season if he keeps on the trajectory he is at he should be top 5. Can't count the chickens before they hatch. Also cant count college vs high school when we are discussing specifically 8 man high school athletes.

I understand your point and your argument. But when considering total volume of scoring its off the charts.

Nelson has 3 TD passes on 13 attempts.
He has 5 rushing TDs on 17 carries
And 4 TDs on 5 receptions.

I understand your point and your argument. But when considering total volume of scoring its off the charts.

Nelson has 3 TD passes on 13 attempts.
He has 5 rushing TDs on 17 carries
And 4 TDs on 5 receptions.
The Td numbers and efficiency are absolutely ridiculous this season. It doesn’t matter who you are playing scoring almost everytime you touch the ball is impressive. If he can continue the efficiency against teams that are in the playoffs there won’t be much of an arguement anymore.

I see Ainsworth as a quarterfinals team. Regular season schedule is very soft. Curious to see how they handle Burwell this weekend. Burwell might be their toughest competition on the schedule

You don't help your creditability to your argument by making statements like this. He is a true freshman making the transition to 11 man. I highly doubt Coach Long or Coach Sasse expected him to play this season.

I was being flippant.

Ainsworth was 1-15 in Nelson’s freshman and sophomore seasons, had a 1 score game last year with O’Neil st Mary’s, needed EPPJs once in a decade star and 4 year starting QB to get hurt on the same drive to avoid what looked like a 40 point blow out loss that turned into a 1 score win. Then lost when a physical elm creek team came to ainsworth in round two of the playoffs. Last time I looked Ainsworth is along way from HWY 91. Greatest athlete maybe, greatest football player no way

Ainsworth was 1-15 in Nelson’s freshman and sophomore seasons, had a 1 score game last year with O’Neil st Mary’s, needed EPPJs once in a decade star and 4 year starting QB to get hurt on the same drive to avoid what looked like a 40 point blow out loss that turned into a 1 score win. Then lost when a physical elm creek team came to ainsworth in round two of the playoffs. Last time I looked Ainsworth is along way from HWY 91. Greatest athlete maybe, greatest football player no way

I'm sorry, it adds nothing to your points (which I tend to agree with), and I know exactly what you mean by your HWY 91 reference, but I can't help myself...Brewster is really not that far away.

The same physical Elm Creek team that lost by 52 points in the quarterfinals. This thread is funny.

Reactions: C-Bearsfan

Frankly, you're being ridiculous. While he's maybe the best high jumper to play 8 man football, he's a LOT closer to being out of the proverbial top 50 as some have mentioned than the top 10. Padding stats against what amounts to junior high competition when you're an elite athlete just doesn't move the needle much, for me anyway.

Just my top ten in my opinion.
1. South Loup- return almost all of production from last year
2. Ainsworth-- top athlete in the class
3. Howells-Dodge-- always solid, need to clean up some execution things
4. Johnson-Brock-- solid returning athletes that have been there before.
5. Sandhills/Thedford-- quality QB can get you far.
6. Wynot-- explosive team
7. DC-S-- tough, big team
8. BDS
9. Central Valley
10. Humphrey St Francis

so let me get this straight the greatest player to ever play 8-man won tonight 28-0 against a 1-1 team. your post might be the dumbest post I have ever read

Reactions: bgclub
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT