ADVERTISEMENT

Conference History

I think Albion joins in 1989.
Madison was in from 84 to 97.
When did Crofton join?

I thought Crofton joined when Oneil did. When Croften joined Laurel, Randolph, Plainview, and Creighton went to the Lewis and Clark. The other NENAC schools joined into the Niobrara Valley.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
I think Albion joins in 1989.
Madison was in from 84 to 97.
When did Crofton join?
Madison was in Mid State until 2012-2013 season according to wild card on nsaa site.
Also looks like that was the same year Crofton got in.
O'Neill looks like they got in 2011-2012 season

Thanks. I had Madison out way earlier. Good idea to look at the wild card data! Thanks.

Crofton joined in the 2012-13 school year. O'Neill also joined that year and was an independent at that time.

Wayne was an independent for quite a while......they joined like mid-2000s maybe???? (2005???)

Edit: Wayne joined the Mid-State in 2001-02

Last edited:
Crofton and O'Neill did join the Mid-State in the 2012-13 school year. Mid-State Conference had 10 teams during that school year. Madison left the conference at the conclusion of that school year.

Thanks, all! I have Cedar Catholic joining in 94-95 and Pierce in 95-96. Can't remember where I got those years. Sound right?

O'Neill was part of the Central 8 Conference for a short time just before joining the Mid State. I believe they were only part of it for about two or three years before joining the Mid State in 12-13. Some other teams in the Central 8 at that time were Lutheran High Northeast, Twin River, and Fullerton.

Reactions: TC53
Thanks, all! I have Cedar Catholic joining in 94-95 and Pierce in 95-96. Can't remember where I got those years. Sound right?

I thought that Cedar and Pierce came about the same time. Not 100% positive on that though.

O'Neill was part of the Central 8 Conference for a short time just before joining the Mid State. I believe they were only part of it for about two or three years before joining the Mid State in 12-13. Some other teams in the Central 8 at that time were Lutheran High Northeast, Twin River, and Fullerton.

I don't believe LHNE has ever belonged to a conference. Could be wrong.

I didn't think they were in a conference either but I noticed they played in the Central 8 conference basketball tournament when I checked the wild card archive. Maybe they were just in the basketball portion of the conference?

Reactions: nenebskers
I just looked at the volleyball wild card archive and Lutheran High beat O'Neill in the 2010 Central 8 conference volleyball tournament.

NSAA has O'Neill playing in the Mid State B ball tourney in the 11-12 season. But maybe it's wrong...

Sorry about the mistake. You are correct. It looks like O'Neill's last year in the Central 8 was 10-11 and their first year in the Mid State was 11-12.

Is it possible that LHNE played in the conference tournament but were not in the conference? It's very odd but some schools in NE Nebraska played in conference tournaments in South Dakota a few years back just to give the tournament an even 8 teams.

I haven't seen this for a few years, probably cause the Nebraska schools won the tournament! Ponca volleyball won a conference tournament around 2016 and I think Bloomfield played in a basketball tournament at one point too. Weirdest thing.

Lutheran High was in the Central 8. That conference only lasted for a couple of years though. When O'Neill got out the conference disbanded if I remember correctly.

Is it possible that LHNE played in the conference tournament but were not in the conference? It's very odd but some schools in NE Nebraska played in conference tournaments in South Dakota a few years back just to give the tournament an even 8 teams.

I haven't seen this for a few years, probably cause the Nebraska schools won the tournament! Ponca volleyball won a conference tournament around 2016 and I think Bloomfield played in a basketball tournament at one point too. Weirdest thing.

The Western Conference (Alliance, Scottsbluff, Gering, etc.) does this for their basketball tournament. Without the outside schools filling out the bracket, it would be a pretty short tournament. Not positive if it's also done for VB or not.

I know of at least one other conference that does it for Wrestling to help fill in the brackets for their conference meet.

Lutheran High was in the Central 8. That conference only lasted for a couple of years though. When O'Neill got out the conference disbanded if I remember correctly.

I thought it was something along the lines of LHNE was invited to play in the conference basketball tournament (and maybe track meet too) but was never an actual member. Could be wrong though.

I think Cedar Catholic went to the Mid State right after the NAC (Northern Activities) folded. It seems like the last year for the NAC was 94-95 but I am not positive. The NAC was Cedar Catholic, O'Neill, South Sioux City, and Wayne,

Check out this awesomeness:

So going off the graphics, the Mid-State Conference started in 1938 with eight charter members:

Clarkson
Creston
Howells
Humphrey
Humphrey St. Francis
Leigh
Pilger
Snyder

- Snyder leaves, dropping membership to seven

- Dodge joins to bring membership back up to eight

- Creston takes two-year break, so league is at six teams during this period

- Creston rejoins Mid-State Conference, bringing membership back to eight

- Battle Creek and Newman Grove join the conference
- Creston leaves
- Membership now at nine schools

- Pilger leaves
- Elkhorn Valley, Elgin Pope John and Lindsay Holy Family join to make an 11-team league

- Norfolk Catholic joins as 12th team

- Humphrey and Lindsay Holy Family leave conference
- Stanton joins Mid-State
- League now at 11 teams

- Madison joins as 12th member

- West Point Central Catholic joins as 13th member

- Clarkson, Dodge, Elgin Pope John, Howells, Humphrey St. Francis, Leigh, and Newman Grove leavue
- That leaves six members behind (Battle Creek, West Point CC, Norfolk Catholic, Elkhorn Valley, Madison, Stanton)

- Albion joins as seventh member

- Hartington Cedar Catholic joins as eighth member

- Pierce joins as ninth member

- Elkhorn Valley leaves conference, membership back down to eight

- Albion merges with Petersburg and becomes Boone Central

- Wayne joins as league's ninth member

- Stanton leaves conference, Mid-State now has eight members

- West Point Central Catholic renamed to Guardian Angels Central Catholic
- Boone Central co-ops with Newman Grove, becomes Boone Central/Newman Grove
- O'Neill and Crofton join the league as the 9th and 10th members of the conference

- Madison leaves, dropping membership down to the current nine

As the graphic above points out, none of the original members of the conference are still in the league.

Last edited:
Reactions: bruiser84
Thanks. Interesting material. Alumni, do you know of another conference in the state currently in existence that has none of its original members? I know I don't.

Thanks. Interesting material. Alumni, do you know of another conference in the state currently in existence that has none of its original members? I know I don't.

Great question.....I don't know the answer to that.

East Central is my favorite. Reorganized in 1946 with four schools (Kennard, Craig, Herman, Ft. Calhoun) that were all basically within a 45 stretch of Hwy 75. Last original member (Calhoun) left in 1988. Conference still going strong with schools from Saunders Co. to Gage:
Auburn
Elmwood-Murdock
Freeman
Johnson County Central
Louisville
Weeping Water
Malcolm
Mead
Palmyra
Yutan

There was an East Central Conference in 1930 that included these teams but I haven't been able to track if this is the league reorganized in 1946 with the four teams above:
Pender
Decatur
Bancroft
Blair
Herman
Lyons
Oakland
Craig
Rosalie
Walthill
Winnebago

Working on Goldenrod Conference history and got a tip that Elgin spent a little time in the league. Probably around 2000 when Monroe, Petersburg, Wolbach and Arcadia spent a year or two int he league. Haven't been able to find any confirmation. Any ideas?

Reactions: Alum-Ni
When I was in High School. 1980 to 1983. The Sandhills Gateway conference consisted of Humphrey Public, Lindsay Holy Family, Petersburg, Spalding Public, Elgin Public, Clearwater, Wheeler Central and Chambers. Not sure but shorty after that time the conference turned into the Goldenrod. Petersburg was in the Goldenrod until they merged with Albion in 2000.

Anybody know much about the old Husker 10 conference?
I found a pic of a basketball program from 1963 that included Waterloo, Mead, Prague, Yutan, Weston, Valparaiso, Ceresco, Wahoo Catholic, and Cedar Bluffs. Not sure who the tenth school was.

Elgin Public was in the Goldenrod in the late 80's and early 90's. They joined the Niobrara Valley in either 94-95 or 95-96. I think they remained in the Niobrara Valley until the co-op with Pope John and EPPJ is still in the NVC. Sorry that I don't have the exact years.

In 1958, I have a Husker 8:
Elkhorn
Mead
Millard
Prague
Valparaiso
Cedar Bluffs
Ceresco
Fremont SP

In fall 1960 for football, it is the Husker 12:
Springfield
Waterloo
Yutan
Elkhorn
Millard
Gretna
Cedar Bluffs
Ceresco
Mead
Prague
Valparaiso
Fremont Bergan

I think it was a league with a pretty fluid membership. Several of those schools were in other leagues like Ak-Sar-Ben, East Central, etc....

I have enjoyed reading the conference history in this post. Here is some Niobrara Valley Conference girls basketball history. I have most of the boys results as well but am missing results from 1951 to 1956.

1994: Chambers 73 Elgin Pope John 53

1993: Orchard 60 Chambers 56

1992: Lynch 54 Elgin Pope John 50

1991: Chambers 60 Elgin Pope John 47

1990: Ewing 61 Lynch 51

1989: Chambers 65 Niobrara 53

1988: Butte 44 Verdigre 39

1987: Spencer 53 Verdigre 52

1986: Verdigre 46 Spencer 45

1985: Ewing 43 Stuart 40

1984: Ewing 64 Butte 42

1983: Ewing 69 Stuart 48

1982: Ewing 55 Butte 40

1981: Verdigre 32 Butte 21

1980: Spencer 33 Ewing 24

1979: Butte 46 Orchard 28

1978: Butte 60 Spencer 20

1977: Orchard 43 Ewing 35

1976: Spencer 43 Stuart 34

2019: North Central 51 CWC 42

2018: West Holt 49 North Central 46

2017: North Central 49 St. Mary’s 46

2016: CWC 53 St. Mary’s 44

2015: St. Mary’s 47 Stuart 38

2014: St. Mary’s 61 Boyd County 47

2013: Boyd County 57 St. Mary’s 48

2012: St. Mary’s 48 EPPJ 47

2011: CWC 61 St. Mary’s 31

2010: Chambers 45 EPPJ 31

2009: Chambers 60 Elgin Pope John 33

2008: Ewing 53 Chambers 41

2007: Chambers 62 Ewing 56

2006: Clearwater 62 Chambers 60 2OT

2005: Chambers 54 Clearwater 37

2004: Elgin Pope John 56 Chambers 52

2003: Elgin Pope John 60 St. Mary’s 30

2002: Chambers 69 Niobrara 34

2001: Chambers 77 Clearwater 50

2000: Clearwater 59 Butte 56

1999: Chambers 52 Elgin Pope John 47

1998: Spencer-Naper 76 Elgin 40

1997: Spencer-Naper 68 Orchard 61

1996: Chambers 101 Orchard 59

1995: Chambers 91 Orchard 47

In 1958, I have a Husker 8:
Elkhorn
Mead
Millard
Prague
Valparaiso
Cedar Bluffs
Ceresco
Fremont SP

In fall 1960 for football, it is the Husker 12:
Springfield
Waterloo
Yutan
Elkhorn
Millard
Gretna
Cedar Bluffs
Ceresco
Mead
Prague
Valparaiso
Fremont Bergan

I think it was a league with a pretty fluid membership. Several of those schools were in other leagues like Ak-Sar-Ben, East Central, etc....

Amazing looking at growth patterns since then. Valparaiso and Ceresco combining with another for a Class C size school, while Millard has 3 Class As, Elkhorn will soon have 3 Class Bs, and Gretna at Class A.

First list is girls 1976-present.

Second list in boys 1995- present.

Is that right?

In 1951 I found the Niobrara Valley Conference tournament scheduled from Feb 15-18, but I haven't found any scores.

First list is girls 1976-present.

Second list in boys 1995- present.

Is that right?
No, 2nd list I'm pretty sure is girls as well. I don't think Chambers boys ever scored 100 in a game. The girls I know would have during that time frame.

Sorry, yes it is the girls list. I didn't remember Chambers scoring 100 in a game either but that is what the article I researched said. They did win state that year with Stracke etc... Maybe it was a misprint. Thanks TC. I too have some sites of those boys tourneys in the 50's and even some semi final scores but can't find any final results.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT