ADVERTISEMENT

Controversy at state softball

Have seen baseball teams do that as well at different age groups. Hopefully that was just an excitement of the player and not a Taute play

Have seen baseball teams do that as well at different age groups. Hopefully that was just an excitement of the player and not a Taute play
Sneak a little money from your employer, as long as you don't get caught or maybe mess around with someone else on your spouse as long as you don't get caught.... Seems ok, huh. Life lessons as a coach.
It was a pinch runner with an offensive conference from what I know. Told your kids to cheat & try to get caught on an appeal. Sh!t bag move IMO & no place for it.

Sneak a little money from your employer, as long as you don't get caught or maybe mess around with someone else on your spouse as long as you don't get caught.... Seems ok, huh. Life lessons as a coach.
It was a pinch runner with an offensive conference from what I know. Told your kids to cheat & try to get caught on an appeal. Sh!t bag move IMO & no place for it.
Hearing the coach bragged about it, other sites. That is not right. Wrong lesson being taught.

I understand the ump can’t do anything about it, but that should be an automatic out. There needs to be a replay function at state tournaments. Unwritten rules of softball and baseball are frustrating. It’s blatant cheating and obviously something that was practiced.

Reactions: HighPlainsCoach
The second runner never tried going to 3rd, just rounded the corner and headed home, making the diamond smaller and scoring quicker

Tweet & video are not available, can someone give the play-by-play version?
Batter bunted and two girls ran home.

Umps were focused on the plays at the plate and the throw to first. Coach apparently instructed the girl coming from second to not even touch 3rd base and just run home.........so about 2/3 of the way to third, player just rounds it and runs straight home, and scored.

Per the rules, runner can only be called out if the opposing team/coach calls for an appeal.

Umps were focused on the plays at the plate and the throw to first. Coach apparently instructed the girl coming from second to not even touch 3rd base and just run home.........so about 2/3 of the way to third, player just rounds it and runs straight home, and scored.

Per the rules, runner can only be called out if the opposing team/coach calls for an appeal.
Yikes, I don't even know how you train a player to do that.

Opposing team should've appealed.

Didn't Malcolm lose the game anyway? Just deserts, if so.

Not much to brag about as a losing coach.

Is that actually the case??? They can rule someone out without an appeal on a double play or in a pickle/run-down, right?

Ok, this one is tough. There was a lot going on during this play.

When a runner misses a base, the defensive team must appeal that missed base in order to get the base runner called out. It is simple, the pitcher gets the ball at the first "dead ball" following the play in question. The pitcher throws the ball to the missed base in question, and a defensive team mate steps on the base. If any base umpire saw the base runner miss the base, that base runner is called out. THAT IS THE RULE. It is not an unwritten rule. It is in fact in the rule book for every player, fan, umpire, and (most importantly) Coach to read.

Any idea that this was an umpire mistake is unsubstantiated. I would guess that at least 1 umpire, and most likely 2 umpires saw this happen. The only umpire that most likely did not see it would have been the plate umpire because of the base runner coming home.

This is not cheating. It is not against any rule. It is the defenses responsibility to simply follow the written rules, throw that ball over to 3rd, and the umpire calls the out. The responsibility here falls on the defense. Any coach or player could have stopped the game and instructed the pitcher on what to do here.

Would I (as a coach) ever instruct my players to do this?...Absolutely not. Would I be upset if I were a parent, coach, or player of an opposing team during a game that this was done?...Probably. Would I have instructed my players on what to do if this was used against me?...you better believe it.

I've seen a runner miss a base in baseball more than once. All the coach had to do was have the pitcher step off the rubber and throw over to third base. The umpire would have called the runner out.

Ok, this one is tough. There was a lot going on during this play.

When a runner misses a base, the defensive team must appeal that missed base in order to get the base runner called out. It is simple, the pitcher gets the ball at the first "dead ball" following the play in question. The pitcher throws the ball to the missed base in question, and a defensive team mate steps on the base. If any base umpire saw the base runner miss the base, that base runner is called out. THAT IS THE RULE. It is not an unwritten rule. It is in fact in the rule book for every player, fan, umpire, and (most importantly) Coach to read.

Any idea that this was an umpire mistake is unsubstantiated. I would guess that at least 1 umpire, and most likely 2 umpires saw this happen. The only umpire that most likely did not see it would have been the plate umpire because of the base runner coming home.

This is not cheating. It is not against any rule. It is the defenses responsibility to simply follow the written rules, throw that ball over to 3rd, and the umpire calls the out. The responsibility here falls on the defense. Any coach or player could have stopped the game and instructed the pitcher on what to do here.

Would I (as a coach) ever instruct my players to do this?...Absolutely not. Would I be upset if I were a parent, coach, or player of an opposing team during a game that this was done?...Probably. Would I have instructed my players on what to do if this was used against me?...you better believe it.
Very well put. Thanks

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
A good example of what clk described occurred in a 2014 College World Series game between Texas and UC Irvine. College baseball teams (and probably many other teams as well) coach their players who are not directly involved in a play to watch the base nearest to them. A Texas player hit a ball into the left field corner for an apparent triple. However, as he rounded first he unintentionally missed the bag. Once the Anteater first baseman saw the ball was hit to the outfield he immediately got into a position where he could see the batter/runner round first. He saw that the runner missed the bag and alerted the pitcher. UC Irvine appealed and the first base umpire had seen exactly what the first baseman had seen and called the runner out. TV replays confirmed it and the ESPN commentator even talked about how he seen UC Irvine coaches reminding their infielders of such a situation. They ended up losing the game 1-0 but in that incident their attention to detail paid off.

A good example of what clk described occurred in a 2014 College World Series game between Texas and UC Irvine. College baseball teams (and probably many other teams as well) coach their players who are not directly involved in a play to watch the base nearest to them. A Texas player hit a ball into the left field corner for an apparent triple. However, as he rounded first he unintentionally missed the bag. Once the Anteater first baseman saw the ball was hit to the outfield he immediately got into a position where he could see the batter/runner round first. He saw that the runner missed the bag and alerted the pitcher. UC Irvine appealed and the first base umpire had seen exactly what the first baseman had seen and called the runner out. TV replays confirmed it and the ESPN commentator even talked about how he seen UC Irvine coaches reminding their infielders of such a situation. They ended up losing the game 1-0 but in that incident their attention to detail paid off.
Unintentionally missed the bag...
At state softball, the coach instructed his player to cut 3rd short by 10' and go home. Totally different scenario.

I totally agree and don't like the play at all. I was simply citing an example of the the responsibility, as unfortunate as it may be in some instances, rests with the defense and not the umpires.

I mentioned above that I would never instruct a player to do this. It isn't because I believe it is cheating or anything like that. It's because it's extremely risky. That coach is trading a base runner standing at 3rd base for the HOPE that nobody on the other team knows how to appeal a missed base. I would think it's easier to squeeze that run across the plate than take the chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: ClkTwr2011
Ok that is way wrong, must be a lot of other stuff with this coach
It is absolutely wrong!

It is fine for coaches to teach their players to cheat in football (holding) and basketball (hand checking) because it it discretionary and dependent upon an official throwing a flag or blowing a whistle. These are clear cut violations of the rules, but if you don't get caught then you didn't do anything wrong.

This play was not even against the rules of the game. The issue here is that the Malcolm kids made the Bishop Neumann COACHES look foolish for not paying attention to what was happening on the field. I don't care if this coach was on Twitter or not (as long as no derogatory statements were made toward the opposing players or staff).

The only person that should have lost their job is the lady from Wahoo. She should have learned the rules of the game before proceeding to make herself and her staff look even dumber than they already looked.

pathetic article today about this, the guy loves softball so much that he teaches his girls to cheat. he is bad for the game and should be fired with cause, go sell some beers at his bar and stay there. cheating is cheating unless you don't get caught, well he got caught and paid the price.

pathetic article today about this, the guy loves softball so much that he teaches his girls to cheat. he is bad for the game and should be fired with cause, go sell some beers at his bar and stay there. cheating is cheating unless you don't get caught, well he got caught and paid the price.
IT IS NOT CHEATING. It is stupid because it is so risky. It is not against any rules.

"Technically legal"? That is complete nonsense. Nothing is "technically legal" if that caught results in an officials negative outcome. By that measure so is a facemask if it's not caught. "Technically legal" my a$$.

IT IS NOT CHEATING. It is stupid because it is so risky. It is not against any rules.
If it's not against the rules, the umpires could do nothing? If it isn't against the rules, no controversy? You are completely wrong. The rules DO say every base is to be touched right?

Reactions: 253847
Any chance to bragging, real or implied, about teaching players to intentionally short running the bases to skip a base?

If he wasn't such a clown about in on social media, he may still have his job. It is a black eye on the school district, I don't blame them for firing him, especially if he's not a teacher. It won't even be a situation at the start of next softball season with Malcolm having a new coach. This situation would get brought up again though if the same guy was the coach and they had a good year.

Malcolm is close enough to LNK, they will find a good coach to help with softball IMO.

Just an unnecessary way to bring negative attention to a school district.

It is absolutely wrong!

It is fine for coaches to teach their players to cheat in football (holding) and basketball (hand checking) because it it discretionary and dependent upon an official throwing a flag or blowing a whistle. These are clear cut violations of the rules, but if you don't get caught then you didn't do anything wrong.

This play was not even against the rules of the game. The issue here is that the Malcolm kids made the Bishop Neumann COACHES look foolish for not paying attention to what was happening on the field. I don't care if this coach was on Twitter or not (as long as no derogatory statements were made toward the opposing players or staff).

The only person that should have lost their job is the lady from Wahoo. She should have learned the rules of the game before proceeding to make herself and her staff look even dumber than they already looked.
"Not against the rules of the game" read a rule book man.
Bases must be touched in order. Rule 8-3 article A if you're interested where it's at in the rule book.

Reactions: HighPlainsCoach
If he wasn't such a clown about in on social media, he may still have his job. It is a black eye on the school district, I don't blame them for firing him, especially if he's not a teacher. It won't even be a situation at the start of next softball season with Malcolm having a new coach. This situation would get brought up again though if the same guy was the coach and they had a good year.

Malcolm is close enough to LNK, they will find a good coach to help with softball IMO.

Just an unnecessary way to bring negative attention to a school district.
They'll need to find a good recruiter, correct

Didn't Wahoo N. win the series with Malcolm? Its over, the only people getting hurt from this is the kids who are now in the middle of this mess. Move on!

If it's not against the rules, the umpires could do nothing? If it isn't against the rules, no controversy? You are completely wrong. The rules DO say every base is to be touched right?
The umpires could have done something if the defensive team would have appealed the missed base. I will guarantee that at least 1 (most likely 2) of the 3 umpires saw it. They would have called the out.

It's right there in the rule book. You were in the right section, keep reading.

It's not cheating, it's a calculated risk that this particular coach was willing to take. In my opinion it's a foolish risk, but that's a different conversation.

"Not against the rules of the game" read a rule book man.
Bases must be touched in order. Rule 8-3 article A if you're interested where it's at in the rule book.
Oh, I know the rules. If it's against the rules, then why didn't 1 of the 3 umpires call the girl out for missing 3rd base? Because that's not how the rule is written. This rule must be referenced in its entirety.

The umpires could have done something if the defensive team would have appealed the missed base. I will guarantee that at least 1 (most likely 2) of the 3 umpires saw it. They would have called the out.

It's right there in the rule book. You were in the right section, keep reading.

It's not cheating, it's a calculated risk that this particular coach was willing to take. In my opinion it's a foolish risk, but that's a different conversation.
No they couldn't. Not if it's not against the rules, as you claim. If it was not against the rules, there was nothing they could do. You're trying the least intelligent argument I've ever seen on here...

No they couldn't. Not if it's not against the rules, as you claim. If it was not against the rules, there was nothing they could do. You're trying the least intelligent argument I've ever seen on here...
Are you implying that 3 umpires made a mistake by not calling the base runner out? I don't understand what you are getting at.

If it's an attempt at cheating (like a pick play in football) where the rule book states the violation, then a game official would call out the infraction. I believe you are saying that the 3 game officials were wrong by not calling the base runner out? I really don't know what you are saying...other than I'm not very smart.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT